Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX 4100 vs AMD Phenom II 850

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2012 5:36:21 PM

Well, I will soon be getting a new Mobo, CPU and RAM and it's pretty much necessary because my old Athlon 6000+ just isn't cutting it any more. So I have a choice between these 2 CPU's. I'm already Dead Set on a Mobo, to be exact it's the ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ mobo, And it's like that because It has 2PCI-E slots which will enable me to buy a second Graphics card. And with that in the mix here is what the rest of the rig is:
AMD Radeon HD6750 1GB GDDR5
CoolerMaster Elite 460W PSU
1TB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD.
So with that Graphics card, what kind of framerate do you think I will get with those CPU's on a game like BF3. BF3 is actually the main game which I play and I want to go past that deadline of 35FPS at most which I get with my current CPU. It's the same Framerate on Low and Ultra, with drops in only a few occasions.
Thanks in advance!
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2012 6:10:11 PM

Well, I've got the Phenom II x4 965 BE with a 6670 DDR3, and I can play Skyrim at 40-45 FPS with lots of stuff going on.

The 965 also has gameplay videos of BF3 exceeding 60 FPS with a card like the 6850, so the 6750 should do 40 FPS just fine. I don't play the game myself, though.
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2012 6:38:19 PM

the phenom II scores slightly higher in benchmarks. but, if you are going to be mainly gaming in modern high demanding games like BF3, i'd strongly suggest Intel, especially if you are going to be going CFX. a core i3 3.1GHz performs the same as a Phenom II x4 3.2GHz. (i3 2100 vs Phenom II 955) games take better advantage of 2 fast cores vs 4 slower cores. most games don't even use 2 cores. plus, the core i3 would have the two other threads focused on doing things like running windows 7 and other background tasks, so you won't get slowed down.

and again, if you are going to be doing CFX, get 550W or so PSU. i don't think 460W would be enough. if it is, it would just BARELY make it, and it's not good to have a near 100% load on your PSU.
Related resources
September 3, 2012 6:58:12 AM

marshal11 said:
the phenom II scores slightly higher in benchmarks. but, if you are going to be mainly gaming in modern high demanding games like BF3, i'd strongly suggest Intel, especially if you are going to be going CFX. a core i3 3.1GHz performs the same as a Phenom II x4 3.2GHz. (i3 2100 vs Phenom II 955) games take better advantage of 2 fast cores vs 4 slower cores. most games don't even use 2 cores. plus, the core i3 would have the two other threads focused on doing things like running windows 7 and other background tasks, so you won't get slowed down.

and again, if you are going to be doing CFX, get 550W or so PSU. i don't think 460W would be enough. if it is, it would just BARELY make it, and it's not good to have a near 100% load on your PSU.

Don't worry man, I'm going to buy a new PSU if I do CFX.
And about the I3, it costs almost the same as the Phenom II and the FX4100, in fact it's the most expensive by 5 euros. And the MOBO's that are available for it here are either cheap and crappy or really expensive. That's why I am set on AMD, that and the fact that I will be doing some video editing. And that's the reason this thread only has AMD vs AMD :) 
Thanks for the advice and opinion, will take them into account!
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 8:07:34 AM

What is the price difference between a FX 8120 and FX 4100 in your country and what lists of specs do you want to buy. Experiences testing the FX 4 and FX 6 series seems to be irratic and somewhat disturbing, of all the FX chips the FX 8000 chips perform consistantly well. You can also disable the integer cores giving yourself a nice light threaded boost....sure not intel level but a FX 8120 in most instances will perform around i5 2400/2500/3450 level.
September 3, 2012 8:20:33 AM

sarinaide said:
What is the price difference between a FX 8120 and FX 4100 in your country and what lists of specs do you want to buy. Experiences testing the FX 4 and FX 6 series seems to be irratic and somewhat disturbing, of all the FX chips the FX 8000 chips perform consistantly well. You can also disable the integer cores giving yourself a nice light threaded boost....sure not intel level but a FX 8120 in most instances will perform around i5 2400/2500/3450 level.

It's a 50 euro difference, and that's money that I can't spare up for just a CPU, I need a new Graphics card as well, and that will draw me back another several months and 310 euros. 50 euros is 2 months of the money my parents give me, and it's pretty much innevitable because now the new BF3 DLC is coming, and it will probably throw my CPU out of use...
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 9:55:07 AM

What specs did you have in mind?

You may be able to find a Phenom II x4 955 BE which is probably a better all round chip than a 4100
September 3, 2012 10:19:15 AM

sarinaide said:
What specs did you have in mind?

You may be able to find a Phenom II x4 955 BE which is probably a better all round chip than a 4100

I am looking at the Asrock 970 PRO3 AM3+ socket Motherboard due to the dual PCI-E slots and it's low price point. The rest of my specs are as follows.
CoolerMaster RS-460-PSAP-J3 460W Power Supply
Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM HDD
AMD Radeon HD6750
And a cheap crappy case.

The 850 and 955 BE have a 10 euro price difference, so here is my question: Would it be worth it to get the bit more expensive 955BE and then a good heatsink to OC it, and to what degree will that increase performance. I am looking at sparing up for a nice 700W PSU and Buying an HD7850 in the future, and possibly even a second one later on.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 10:44:43 AM

1] PSU is very important not in capacity as that varies between users but in build quality, when you intend on upgrading that I would suggest you check in for advise on that.

2] Budget gaming level I would say start at the HD 6790 or 6850 which are close in performance and surprisingly hit double figures in Heaven 2.5 which is actually impressive for a budget card.

3] The 850 from what I remember lacks L3 Cache which affects performance, the 955BE will probably be give or take 10% faster clocks well. It is diffecult to put it into FPS scales as that varies from game to game but you will be looking at significant enough performance difference between a 955 and 850

4] HD 7850 is a fantastic card, at stock its okay behind a HD 6970 and GTX 570 but overclocked which all GCN's do well its easily around the HD 7950 level.
September 3, 2012 10:55:45 AM

sarinaide said:
1] PSU is very important not in capacity as that varies between users but in build quality, when you intend on upgrading that I would suggest you check in for advise on that.

2] Budget gaming level I would say start at the HD 6790 or 6850 which are close in performance and surprisingly hit double figures in Heaven 2.5 which is actually impressive for a budget card.

3] The 850 from what I remember lacks L3 Cache which affects performance, the 955BE will probably be give or take 10% faster clocks well. It is diffecult to put it into FPS scales as that varies from game to game but you will be looking at significant enough performance difference between a 955 and 850

4] HD 7850 is a fantastic card, at stock its okay behind a HD 6970 and GTX 570 but overclocked which all GCN's do well its easily around the HD 7950 level.

I am aware of the PSU variables at a decent level, and I am very well aware of how the AMD cards scale from one to the next level. I was only asking for the CPU since I have never really paid much attention to the Phenom II's because they only recently dropped in price enough to go on my radar. 10% faster clocks also often result in a 20-30% FPS increase because it might be the difference between the CPU Bottlenecking the GPU. I know a bit about computers, I helped one of my friends build his as he had no idea what he was doing :)  .
Well it looks like the 955BE will be my CPU of choice, Thank you for your help!
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 11:00:53 AM

Its certainly at 10Euros more worth it and should be a solid gaming chip for a good few years yet.

I speak for myself but I feel its a learning process everyday, people here often know more but its a invaluable resourse to continue learning...if you divorce the idiot banter Toms is like a encyclopedia of people that know more.
!