notepad

Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a file.
It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there without
going to open with.
xp home sp2.
Thanks in advance for any help.
6 answers Last reply
More about notepad

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:26:04 -0600, Rick and Deb wrote:

    > Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a file.
    > It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there without
    > going to open with.
    > xp home sp2.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Haven't tried it but am thinking that you could edit the file type involved
    in Folder Options> File Types. Add "Open with Notepad" as an action.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Create a shortcut to notepad on your desktop.
    Go to Start>Run>and type: *sendto* (without the **)
    Drag the shortcut you just created into this window.
    HTH

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦

    "Rick and Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a
    > file. It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there
    > without going to open with.
    > xp home sp2.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Thanks, that's what I wanted. Merry Christmas.

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:45:32 -0600, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > Where is it added there? I see no place to type it in as an action under
    > "File-Types." I'm using the Home addition. All I can add is a NEW File
    > Extension. But it doesn't say what I would be adding the extension to.

    Select a file type and click Advanced. A new screen appears. You'll see the
    place to add a new action on that screen. The following URL is for a very
    old MS Knowledge Base article but it outlines the same principles being
    discussed:
    How to Create Multiple Associations for One File Extension

    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:
    | Where is it added there? I see no place to type it in as an action under
    | "File-Types." I'm using the Home addition. All I can add is a NEW File
    | Extension. But it doesn't say what I would be adding the extension to.

    (XP Home Edition)

    Start
    Run
    regedit
    Enter

    For all files with an extension:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Notepad\command
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE "%1"

    For all files without an extension:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    NoExtension

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    Files without extension

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Notepad\Command
    (Default)
    REG_SZ
    C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE "%1"

    In the C:\Documents and settings\YOUR NAME\SendTo Folder

    Create a new Shortcut to Notepad.exe and name it Notepad.

    In Windows explorer, highlight the file you want, right click, and in the
    SEND TO menu option expand to Notepad, voila! This is extremely useful for
    logs, dlls's, cfg fils etc.

    Works with any windows version 95 onwards. If you have the old Sendto
    Powertoy, it can also be used on SP2 as well.

    "Rick and Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a
    > file. It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there
    > without going to open with.
    > xp home sp2.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

Configuration Notepad Microsoft Customization Windows XP