Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a file.
It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there without
going to open with.
xp home sp2.
Thanks in advance for any help.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:26:04 -0600, Rick and Deb wrote:

> Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a file.
> It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there without
> going to open with.
> xp home sp2.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Haven't tried it but am thinking that you could edit the file type involved
in Folder Options> File Types. Add "Open with Notepad" as an action.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

zulu

Create a shortcut to notepad on your desktop.
Go to Start>Run>and type: *sendto* (without the **)
Drag the shortcut you just created into this window.
HTH

--
¦ zulu ¦

"Rick and Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way of putting notepad in window when you right click on a
> file. It has open with, then go to notepad but would like to have it there
> without going to open with.
> xp home sp2.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks, that's what I wanted. Merry Christmas.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:45:32 -0600, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

> Where is it added there? I see no place to type it in as an action under
> "File-Types." I'm using the Home addition. All I can add is a NEW File
> Extension. But it doesn't say what I would be adding the extension to.

Select a file type and click Advanced. A new screen appears. You'll see the
place to add a new action on that screen. The following URL is for a very
old MS Knowledge Base article but it outlines the same principles being
discussed:
How to Create Multiple Associations for One File Extension

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote:
| Where is it added there? I see no place to type it in as an action under
| "File-Types." I'm using the Home addition. All I can add is a NEW File
| Extension. But it doesn't say what I would be adding the extension to.

(XP Home Edition)

Start
Run
regedit
Enter

For all files with an extension:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Notepad\command
(Default)
REG_SZ
C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE "%1"

For all files without an extension:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.
(Default)
REG_SZ
NoExtension

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension
(Default)
REG_SZ
Files without extension

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NoExtension\Shell\Notepad\Command
(Default)
REG_SZ
C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE "%1"

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In the C:\Documents and settings\YOUR NAME\SendTo Folder

Create a new Shortcut to Notepad.exe and name it Notepad.

In Windows explorer, highlight the file you want, right click, and in the
SEND TO menu option expand to Notepad, voila! This is extremely useful for
logs, dlls's, cfg fils etc.

Works with any windows version 95 onwards. If you have the old Sendto
Powertoy, it can also be used on SP2 as well.