Advice for (yet another) video editing computer 1500ish

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi,

Ok it's time for me to quit dragging my feet and build a new computer for my wife before she busts out the divorce stamp. She doesn't want to hear about flooding in Thailand, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, NLE release dates...She just wants her computer not to suck. (because it does suck)

I've tried to do some research but I'm going to need some help if anyone is willing. Here's some information if you wouldn't mind looking in over and giving some recommendations.

Approximate Purchase Date: next week unless there is a good reason to wait a little.

Budget Range: 1500-2000 (willing to adjust a little if necessary)

System usage from Most to Least Important: video editing, photo editing, video and photo storage then basic pc stuff (email, itunes, internet). No real gaming.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse

Preferred Website for Parts: Amazon then Newegg

Parts Preference: No major preferences. Would like to stick with more reliable/quality parts within reason.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 may be adding second monitor later.

Additional Comments: Would like this to be a relatively quiet computer. Considering Antec P280 case but not totally sold on it.

I was planning to use i7-2600k but maybe should use the equivalent Ivy Bridge now?

I would like to have a decent sized SSD for operating system and programs and at least two big hard drives for storage/editing. Does it make sense to have an additional hard drive for back up in the computer or is that not really effective back up? Not really interested in RAID unless you think I need it.

Had considered at some point creating a server but for now maybe an external SATA docking station for backup.? Haven't had great luck with WD external hard drives in past so would prefer to use bare drives in docking station.

Also I really don't know what to do for a graphics card. Seems like what you read/hear varies wildly from "don't need a card and just use on board graphics" to "anything less than a Quadro 5000 :heink: and you're wasting your time."

It probably really depends on the editing program used and whether it uses gpu acceleration I guess. Problem is I'm not sure what I'm going to use yet. Something consumer oriented though like Avid Studio, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Adobe Premiere Elements...I think I need to try a few but my computer can't handle any of them as is. Ideally I would build a computer optimized for a specific program but I don't know which program that is. Would setting an arbitrary price limit for the graphics card about the same as the cpu make sense?

Thanks a lot for any help. This is a great website.

Jon

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I mentioned a preference of Amazon over Newegg. Seems like most people use Newegg and will often give advice based on Newegg components.

I'm happy to use Newegg if that is easier for you to work with and give recommendations.

Thanks.

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hmm...if I were you, I'd go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($203.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($136.99 @ eCost)
Total: $1950.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-01 12:40 EDT-0400)

add a firewire card and maybe add a GTX 670 graphics card.

nottheratboy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
So why do you like that memory better than the one I have above? Cheaper? Smaller heat spreader? Orange?

Frequency is the same but the latency is higher, right?

I had a thread or two previously where I tried to get a handle on RAM options but it was a struggle. I couldn't find anything close on the QVL so I settled on what I have listed above. Seems to work ok.

Thanks.