Sign in with
Your question

Vcore Drops ? please help.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2012 8:53:52 PM

I am having the worst problem with my processor its dropping from 1.5v to 0.784v (5.0ghz)-(1.4ghz) can anyone help me ?

More about : vcore drops

a c 78 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 11:30:43 PM

1.5v at 5 Ghz and .784v at 1.4 Ghz sounds like it's a normal power saving state. (You don't need or want 1.5 volts going to any chip that doesn't need it.)

Maintaining full speed and voltage while at idle, is like putting your car in park at a stop light and flooring the accelerator whilst listening to the motor bounce off the rev limiter...all while you sit and wait for the light to turn green.

However, if you really want full speed and power all the time, (and most likely a shortened CPU lifespan) you can just disable "cool n quiet" in the BIOS and disable all C states.

(Cool n Quiet is an AMD feature. 1.5 volts is high for an AMD chip and way high for a sandy/ivy bridge CPU.)

m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 11:57:56 PM

^ +1

Here's an example of my chip. However, since I'm running an Intel CPU, the Vcore stays the same.

m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2012 1:14:20 AM

mocchan said:
Great thread, interesting issue going on over there...

its running at 1.4 underload and 4.2 under idle that backwards ...apparently im wasting gas :p 
m
l
September 3, 2012 1:15:46 AM

Z1NONLY said:
1.5v at 5 Ghz and .784v at 1.4 Ghz sounds like it's a normal power saving state. (You don't need or want 1.5 volts going to any chip that doesn't need it.)

Maintaining full speed and voltage while at idle, is like putting your car in park at a stop light and flooring the accelerator whilst listening to the motor bounce off the rev limiter...all while you sit and wait for the light to turn green.

However, if you really want full speed and power all the time, (and most likely a shortened CPU lifespan) you can just disable "cool n quiet" in the BIOS and disable all C states.

(Cool n Quiet is an AMD feature. 1.5 volts is high for an AMD chip and way high for a sandy/ivy bridge CPU.)

im sorry i forgot to mention its going to 0.784 during gaming and load
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:26:27 AM

Could it be throttling back due to overheating?
m
l
September 3, 2012 1:29:53 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Could it be throttling back due to overheating?

temps on a single component have never been over 55c
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:42:30 AM

I would verify that with at least two different sources. I have found many of the software programs to be hit-or-miss with different cpu/mb combos.
m
l
September 3, 2012 1:48:05 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I would verify that with at least two different sources. I have found many of the software programs to be hit-or-miss with different cpu/mb combos.

i had 3 open and they were all reading 23c and someone said my mobo must be bad bc those temps arent possible
m
l
!