Is my motherboard compatible with my CPU?

tehwillmeister

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hello, I am asking this question to determine whether my motherboard (GA-M68MT-S2) is compatible with my processor (FX 8150). My processor is running at 2.8Ghz out of the box and a suggested reason for this is that, my processor isn't actually compatible with my motherboard. I was able to access the CPU Support List from the Gigabyte website - this list does backup the claim, even though I had confirmation before purchasing the FX 8150 that it was compatible.

This is kind of a strange one. That board supports 125W CPU's but not any of the 125W FX CPU's. I don't quite get that.

That would seem to be the problem though. Usually, if a board can't handle the TDP of the CPU, it won't work at all or it'll downclock it, like you're seeing (usually more than that, though).

It should work, in theory, since the board can handle 125W CPU's, but it may have something to do with the FX CPU's specifically.

BIOS FC might fix it, though, like noidea_77 said. It says it updated some CPU code, so who knows.

tehwillmeister

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

When I use 'msinfo32' it says:

BIOS Version/Date: Award Software International, Inc. FC 05/06/12 (Not sure whether this date is the US date system or the UK date system.)

SMBIOS Version: 2.4

That's the FC BIOS version, then (it was released on June 5th).

Well, in that case, it's probably time for a new motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS