Stock Intel heatsink isn't spinning as I think it should (/w video)

G

Hi. I've just build my first PC but I have a small problem, at least I hope it's small. Basically my CPU heatsink (the stock Intel one) is only spinning a tiny bit every second or so. Here's a video of it, http://youtu.be/KvxxJmTLngk. I've installed Windows 7 onto my SSD and downloaded all drivers from the internet without the heatsink properly performing.

Obviously I don't want my CPU to burn up and die. So, I've left the chassis side panel off with all chassis fans spinning. I've also got a pretty powerful desk fan blowing cool air onto the CPU to keep the temperatures as low as possible.
I'm constantly monitoring the temperature of the CPU with the ASUS AI Suite II program and it's at a steady 30-35°C while I'm just browsing the web. It does creep up to around 40°C if I start multi-tasking or doing something that requires a bit more performance like downloading or installing stuff.
On Intel's website it says that the TCase for my CPU is 67.4°C which I read on the internet is the maximum temperature the CPU can stand until it starts doing damage to itself. If TCase doesn't mean that please let me know! So, basically I'm trying to keep it's temperature below 67.4°C.

Does anyone know what could be causing the CPU heatsink to act like this? Also, is my PC safe to use if I keep the CPU's temperature at a steady 30-35°C until I either get the fan spinning correctly or buy a better heatsink?

Here's my PC specs so you can hopefully get a better view of my PC and maybe know what could be wrong.

Chassis
Zalman Z77 Plus w/ included fans

PSU
Corsair GS600 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z77 S1155 DDR3

CPU
Intel i5-3570K S1155

RAM
Corsair Vengence 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3

GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 980MHz 2GB

SSD
Samsung 830 256GB 6Gb/s 2.5”

Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S222 22x DVD-RW

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Thanks!

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
It looks like the heatsink tries to start in one point of the video. I'm going to go with the assumption that the heatsink is a defective one. You could try contacting your dealer, or just buy an aftermarket one.