Sign in with
Your question

FPS drops with HD 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2012 12:57:38 PM

Hello! I just got my XFX Core Edition HD 7970 and reinstalled Windows to ensure maximum performance. In Battlefield 3 at 1680 x 1050, while my FPS is often ~70 or ~80 on the more open maps, I noticed today it drops as low as 28 during some intense moments on some city maps when there is lots of destruction/buildings being blown up. I am pretty sure that this is unusual for this class of card, am I right? I have performed the following actions to try and rectify the problem:

-Installed all Windows updates
-Installed latest drivers from AMD's website
-Installed latest BIOS update/chipset drivers

Other than this FPS drop, everything seems quite normal. My GPU temp never goes above ~70, my CPU temp stays at ~55 or below, the game runs for hours and never has any crashing or error messages pop up.

If this seems unusual for the HD 7970, what should be my next step?

thanks!

Also, my configuration:

Intel 2500k @ 3.7GHz
CM Hyper 212 EVO
Intel DP67BGB3
Corsair TX750 V2
XFX HD 7970 CE 3GB
16GB (4x4GB) Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Lian Li K58w Case
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200rpm HDD

More about : fps drops 7970

March 13, 2012 1:15:54 PM

That does sound weird, as my 4870s run @ over 90FPS average, lows of about 35 in the very worst cases on a tweaked High/Ultra profile (pure Ultra destroys my old cards lol). And that's at 1080p...

What's the CPU/GPU load while in game? How about the voltage?

MSAA or FXAA (or both?)?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 1:26:12 PM

Set the Power consumption levels to 20% + in CCC overdrive.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 1:34:48 PM

Hilariously, as I was typing a response to you, I got my first BSOD. "Memory Management".

To answer your question, my CPU's 4 cores are at roughly 75% usage during gameplay, while my 7970 sees 99-100% usage.

I am playing with maximum AA settings in the in-game menu, but I haven't touched the CCC yet.

By voltage, do you mean my CPU's voltage?

thanks!
m
l
March 13, 2012 1:35:55 PM

joedjnpc said:
Set the Power consumption levels to 20% + in CCC overdrive.

I will try this, but what does it do exactly and why would it help?

thanks!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 1:49:06 PM

Try OCing your cpu to 4.2GHz and see if it makes a difference.
-Bruce
m
l
March 13, 2012 1:55:13 PM

Aaahhh, that might be normal then with MSAA at full; most benchmarks I seen put BF3 on a 7970 at average 50FPS @ 1080p, so at your lowered resoultion, if you're averaging 70FPS with MSAA 4x, that might make sense.

Switch to FXAA - High and turn off MSAA and you should BARELY see any difference, especially in such a fast paced game and you will gain an easy 20+FPS
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 2:01:49 PM

insomniac3334 said:
I will try this, but what does it do exactly and why would it help?

thanks!

Download and open GPU-z (it monitors you GPU temps, clocks, amps, voltages, etc, etc)
Download and run any Furmark ( any of the present benchmarks )

When I did this I noticed that my core clock speed represented in FurMark in the top left corner of the screen was lower than 925 Mhz (stock core clock), mine was between 770mhz and 850 mhz, fluctuating.

By increased the power setting to 20% + I noticed a huge boost in frames in FurMark benchmarks and my clocks were solid 925 Mhz (to be honest I only required +7% for solid 925 clocks, I set to +20% for a solid 1125 Mhz overclock in CCC overdrive).

While this may not be the case in every 7970 it was the case in mine. I run my 7970 at 1125 / 1575 and +20% power with manual fan settings in CCC. These settings will give you a massive boost in performance, 70-100 fps in BF3 ultra 1920 x 1080.
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:03:31 PM

dechy said:
Aaahhh, that might be normal then with MSAA at full; most benchmarks I seen put BF3 on a 7970 at average 50FPS @ 1080p, so at your lowered resoultion, if you're averaging 70FPS with MSAA 4x, that might make sense.

Switch to FXAA - High and turn off MSAA and you should BARELY see any difference, especially in such a fast paced game and you will gain an easy 20+FPS

Silly question, being an nVidia guy and all, how to I force FXAA in the CCC? I see various options for AA settings, but nothing says "FXAA".

To those saying my CPU could be limiting the performance, I'd understand if it was a little bit but lows of 28 FPS? That seems a bit low doesn't it?
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:05:04 PM

joedjnpc said:
Download and open GPU-z (it monitors you GPU temps, clocks, amps, voltages, etc, etc)
Download and run any Furmark ( any of the present benchmarks )

When I did this I noticed that my core clock speed represented in FurMark in the top left corner of the screen was lower than 925 Mhz (stock core clock), mine was between 770mhz and 850 mhz, fluctuating.

By increased the power setting to 20% + I noticed a huge boost in frames in FurMark benchmarks and my clocks were solid 925 Mhz (to be honest I only required +7% for solid 925 clocks, I set to +20% for a solid 1125 Mhz overclock in CCC overdrive).

While this may not be the case in every 7970 it was the case in mine. I run my 7970 at 1125 / 1575 and +20% power with manual fan settings in CCC. These settings will give you a massive boost in performance, 70-100 fps in BF3 ultra 1920 x 1080.

I set the slider to 20%, all the way to the right, but I still had FPS dips into the 40s unfortunately.
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:16:14 PM

BigMack70 said:
This is because, as I mentioned above, your frame dips are probably not due to your GPU at that resolution (unless it's faulty, but I wouldn't expect a faulty GPU to give the performance characteristics you are describing). Also, the 20% power slider increase really only affects things if you have an overclock on your GPU, so it's unsurprising that it didn't affect anything for you.

Figure out if your memory and CPU are fully stable... the occurrence of a BSOD suggests that they are not. I'm guessing that it's something in your CPU/mobo/memory settings that is causing your problem, not your GPU.

Also, what is your average fps? It might help us give you advice if you did a FRAPS benchmark over like 5-10 minutes of typical play and gave us the min/max/average numbers from it.

Before I try any additional benchmarking, I am going to reset my BIOS OC settings to factory. It's not like I really need them at this low res anyways. Hopefully that'll help. I did use my MoBo's auto-OC settings before tweaking myself, so maybe that screwed it up somehow.
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:38:59 PM

BigMack70 said:
Yeah that's probably part of your problem... typically mobo auto OC functions just increase the FSB of your system, which can very easily result in instability. You'd be better off doing all your overclocking manually and concentrating on your CPU multiplier.

Also, I can't quite tell if you recognize this or not, but at 1680x1050 with a 7970 you are going to be CPU limited and not GPU limited in games, even demanding ones like BF3. So, framerate drops are almost certainly due to your CPU and not your GPU.

Yes, that does make sense, but I'm glad you clarified.

I just reset all my MoBo OC settings, and if anything I lost a couple FPS. At a really intense part of Gulf of Oman, it dipped into the low 30s. I suppose that's due to the decrease in CPU speed, but I was really hoping it would help smooth things out. I guess I'll do a FRAPS benchmark and report back. Thanks again for the help! This is crazy frustrating.
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:22:23 PM

Your system without any overclocking shouldn't have these drops.. Dont have any suggestion just sympathy.. If I were you though, I'd try to test the 7970 on a different computer with BF3..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 7:52:24 PM

Quote:
Just avoid messing with the FSB

There's no FSB on SB. The last time Intel used FSB was with LGA 1366.

@OP

The 2500K should easily hit 4.5ghz on auto voltage

Obviously a 45X multiplier
PLL overvoltage enabled (4.5ghz is the threshhold where this should be enabled)
Long and short power durations should be set to arbitrary numbers (like 300)
Spread spectrum disabled
Load line calibration 3

The 16GB Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 2T @ 1.5v (2T is important because all 4 DIMM slots are occupied)

set the Dram voltage to 1.55 (the extra .05v just adds for stability)

REBOOT and enter windows

Download IBT here~

http://majorgeeks.com/IntelBurnTest_d5987.html

Times to run: 10
Stress level: Very High (4096mb)
Threads: 4

...before you click start open up a temp monitoring program and monitor temps and when you're uncomfortable just click stop.

If you pass the test you're okie dokie.

Download MSI afterburner here~

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Set up a custom fan profile (there's no alternative to AB)

Download Furmark here~

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Run the Furmark 15min. stability test and report back

m
l
March 13, 2012 8:20:23 PM

I will look over the past 3 posts or so in a second, just got back from doing homework all day. Here is a screen capture of GPU-Z and CPU-Z in case somebody notices anything odd!

http://i.imgur.com/fhgsJ.png

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for your help. I consider myself an enthusiast but this problem is so open-ended...
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:24:49 PM

RussK1 said:
Quote:
Just avoid messing with the FSB

There's no FSB on SB. The last time Intel used FSB was with LGA 1366.

@OP

The 2500K should easily hit 4.5ghz on auto voltage

Obviously a 45X multiplier
PLL overvoltage enabled (4.5ghz is the threshhold where this should be enabled)
Long and short power durations should be set to arbitrary numbers (like 300)
Spread spectrum disabled
Load line calibration 3

The 16GB Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 2T @ 1.5v (2T is important because all 4 DIMM slots are occupied)

set the Dram voltage to 1.55 (the extra .05v just adds for stability)

REBOOT and enter windows

Download IBT here~

http://majorgeeks.com/IntelBurnTest_d5987.html

Times to run: 10
Stress level: Very High (4096mb)
Threads: 4

...before you click start open up a temp monitoring program and monitor temps and when you're uncomfortable just click stop.

If you pass the test you're okie dokie.

Download MSI afterburner here~

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Set up a custom fan profile (there's no alternative to AB)

Download Furmark here~

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Run the Furmark 15min. stability test and report back

I'm not going to bother OCing at the moment, as I'm pretty sure my hardware @ stock speeds should run BF3 ass-smooth at 1680 x 1050. Rather, I want to check for memory/CPU stability at the moment. I'll run Memtest tonight, but is there anything you recommend that won't take as long that I can do right now? I'll try Furmark just to be sure...
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:30:31 PM

A couple notes. I've read a lot of problems with BF3 with AA above x4. The game does not handle AA well, try it off, and up to x4 to compare.

Also, if you want to force FXAA on an AMD card, you can't, however, AMD does offer MLAA which is somewhat similar, although I don't care for it that much, but it will work on any game no matter if it allows normal AA or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:36:39 PM

insomniac3334 said:
I'm not going to bother OCing at the moment, as I'm pretty sure my hardware @ stock speeds should run BF3 ass-smooth at 1680 x 1050. Rather, I want to check for memory/CPU stability at the moment. I'll run Memtest tonight, but is there anything you recommend that won't take as long that I can do right now? I'll try Furmark just to be sure...

The 2500K should be the least of your worries for BF3.

Yeah run the 15min. burn in with Furmark would be good and wouldn't hurt.

What driver are you running for the 7970?

Pre WHQL driver Catalyst 12.3 here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.3-RC-Driver...

Beta Catalyst 12.4 here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.x--8.96-Feb...

Both are to support Radeon 7000 series cards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:39:49 PM

bystander said:
A couple notes. I've read a lot of problems with BF3 with AA above x4. The game does not handle AA well, try it off, and up to x4 to compare.

Also, if you want to force FXAA on an AMD card, you can't, however, AMD does offer MLAA which is somewhat similar, although I don't care for it that much, but it will work on any game no matter if it allows normal AA or not.

+1

I've not had a problem with 2xAA but 4xAA is like hit or miss. The game just isn't stable with 4xAA even at OP's lower res....
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:41:23 PM

RussK1 said:
The 2500K should be the least of your worries for BF3.

Yeah run the 15min. burn in with Furmark would be good and wouldn't hurt.

What driver are you running for the 7970?

Pre WHQL driver Catalyst 12.3 here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.3-RC-Driver...

Beta Catalyst 12.4 here~

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.x--8.96-Feb...

Both are to support Radeon 7000 series cards.

WHOAH. Just realized that my GPU-Z, under "Bus Interface", reports PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x1 1.1, while all the screenshots I can find of an HD 7970 in GPU Z say PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1. Does this mean anything? Here is my GPU-Z again: http://i.imgur.com/fhgsJ.png

As far as my driver, it is Version 8.950.00 from 2/14/2012. It is the driver that comes up on AMD's website when I search for x64 HD 7xxx series drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:53:24 PM

insomniac3334 said:
WHOAH. Just realized that my GPU-Z, under "Bus Interface", reports PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x1 1.1, while all the screenshots I can find of an HD 7970 in GPU Z say PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1. Does this mean anything? Here is my GPU-Z again: http://i.imgur.com/fhgsJ.png

As far as my driver, it is Version 8.950.00 from 2/14/2012. It is the driver that comes up on AMD's website when I search for x64 HD 7xxx series drivers.

I would recommend scrubbing your old drivers from the system and install catalyst 12.2 - this is what i got powering my XFX 7970 BE - and the only problem I'm seeing is some minor artfacting in Metro 2033. Every other game is fine...

As far as your PCI express bus - somehting is choking the bandwidth down to 1/16th of what it should be. In short you are seeing is perfomance is being limited by your graphix card. Not that the card doesnt have enough horse-power... its just being forced to comunicate on a pipe that has not enough bandwidth for it.
m
l
March 13, 2012 8:55:50 PM

frombehind said:
I would recommend scrubbing your old drivers from the system and install catalyst 12.2 - this is what i got powering my XFX 7970 BE - and the only problem I'm seeing is some minor artfacting in Metro 2033. Every other game is fine...

As far as your PCI express bus - somehting is choking the bandwidth down to 1/16th of what it should be. In short you are seeing is perfomance is being limited by your graphix card. Not that the card doesnt have enough horse-power... its just being forced to comunicate on a pipe that has not enough bandwidth for it.

OK...I understand that much...but is it supposed to be choked like this given my hardware setup? Is my older chipset or something the cause? Or is there a problem I need to find? thanks for the clarification!

Also, every time I use Driver Sweeper to remove my drivers, I restart, and Windows auto-installs an AMD driver upon logging in. I have turned off automatic driver installation in Windows update, but this is the OS itself doing the installing not just the update module. Any recommendations?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 9:05:15 PM

insomniac3334 said:

Every time I've seen this, it is due to poor seating. Try removing the card and blow compressed air over the pins and into the PCIe slot and put it back in place. Also make sure it's centered well when screwed into place.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 9:13:02 PM

Quote:
Also, every time I use Driver Sweeper to remove my drivers, I restart, and Windows auto-installs an AMD driver upon logging in. I have turned off automatic driver installation in Windows update, but this is the OS itself doing the installing not just the update module. Any recommendations?

Hit start
right click "properties"
go to "advanced system settings"
click "hardware"
click "device installation settings"
tick "no, let me choose what to do"
tick "never install driver software from Windows update"

Save changes and reboot.

Uninstall and re-install driver
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 10:17:11 PM

Quote:
(raising whatever the FSB equivalent is and as such increasing clock speeds on multiple components).

No, not with SB... No Bclk OC'ing just multiplier. It's possible to push the Bclk 7-10mhz but that's pushing it. Intel effectively made it where if you want to OC, you have to buy a "K" series chip.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 10:40:37 PM

BigMack70 said:
Huh... didn't know that.

So how do RAM clocks/timings work on SB?

preset speeds, ie: 1333, 1600, 1866 etc etc

m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 10:44:30 PM

Well, as was found out by the OP, this isn't likely a CPU issue anyways, the GPU is working at x1 and not x16. This will be solved once he gets that working, which is likely a seating issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 10:55:02 PM

bystander said:
Well, as was found out by the OP, this isn't likely a CPU issue anyways, the GPU is working at x1 and not x16. This will be solved once he gets that working, which is likely a seating issue.

True, yet still doesn't explain this~

Quote:
Hilariously, as I was typing a response to you, I got my first BSOD. "Memory Management".
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 11:41:01 PM

BigMack70 said:
OP could be having 2 separate issues - one caused by some weirdness with his graphics drivers, and another caused by an unstable OC due to trying to auto OC instead of doing it manually.

I doubt the x1 is driver related. Even before drivers are installed, GPU-Z will show you the correct bus interface. I've seen this happen at least 10 times personally, every single time it was related to not being seated. Of course this only happens with AMD cards. With Nvidia cards it just doesn't boot, or I end up with a color not working.

I've also seen countless cases online with the same fix, though I'm not saying it can't be another problem, but this should be the first thing to attempt as it is the far away most common cause.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 12:27:43 AM

BigMack70 said:
Are you sure that he's just not seeing throttling? When you boot up GPU-z, you often have to make the GPU actually do something to get it to report correctly. If the GPU is loaded and still reports x1, then yes he probably has an issue with how the card is seated. More likely, though, is that he just booted up GPU-z and posted what it reports, and what it reports is often wrong if the card is idle.

Have you actually seen it at x1, and go up to x16 after using a card? When I've had issues with this, I would test the moment I logged in (obviously I wanted to see if it was fixed or not), and after using it. I have NEVER seen this change due to use.

Like I've said, this is a very common issue, one I've seen many times, not just for myself. AMD cards, not completely seated will still work, but at lowered bus speeds. I find it far more likely that is the cause, and would save him a lot of time just to try it at least. I would also at least try it a couple times, as I've seen cards that were more temperamental than most.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:05:11 AM

BigMack70 said:
Just went and checked myself, and I think I might have been mistaken or misunderstood OP's description. You are right, it doesn't say "x1" - that's probably a seating issue. It says "x16 1.1" instead of "x16 3.0". If it says "x1 1.1" that's something else. My mistake.

It's all good, hopefully it does indeed fix his issue.
m
l
March 14, 2012 1:07:13 AM

OK, so I reseated the card and gave it a good dusting with compressed air (the card itself and the pcie slot), and GPU-z is now reporting x16 1.1/2.0 at all times. So yay. However, my FPS still drops to the 40s very often, and occasionally the 30s, which is pretty much where I left off. I will try another driver reinstall, and get back to you.

Just as a reminder to everyone, I already reset my MoBo settings, so my CPU/RAM are now at default settings. I also never OCed my GPU just for the record.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:46:11 AM

So I reinstalled the driver, 12.2, and am getting the same results as always. I am going to try to remove all but 1 of my RAM modules to see if that makes a difference. I once saw a faulty RAM stick hamper an entire systems performance, so perhaps that is the issue?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:51:09 AM

It's great that the bus interface is working, but that is disappointing that you are still having performance issues.

You might try 12.1 or beta drivers. I've heard a quite few bad tales about 12.2. The ram issue might be good, but you might want to try pairs so you have more than 4GB. Skyrim works much better with 4GB's of ram, and after you take the system used ram out of the equation, it might not work quite so well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:57:22 AM

Quote:
You might try 12.1 or beta drivers. I've heard a quite few bad tales about 12.2.

I had better luck with the 12.2 preview than with the WHQL 12.2.... slow startup, taskbar wouldn't keep it's settings in Eyefinity, etc... I just downloaded and installed the pre-WHQL 12.3 drivers and it's been the easiest install yet for my quad setup, and the taskbar retains it's settings! Another thing for the OP, 12.3 & 12.4 support 7000 series cards.
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:13:35 PM

OK, so I took out all but 1 RAM stick, and there isn't much of a difference. On Sharqi Peninsula (considered to be the hardest map in the game to handle) with 64 players on highest settings @ 1680 x 1050, I am averaging about 60 FPS, with dips into the high 30s and highs in the 120s. Still seems wonky. I might be imagining it, but it seems a tad smoother even if the FPS hasn't changed much. I'll keep playing with the memory configurations...
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:18:09 PM

Do you still have 4x AA or higher? If so, try it at 2x AA or off. BF3 is known to have AA issues.
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:24:54 PM

OK, so I Googled around, and this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1676992

seems to indicate that my FPS for BF3 multiplayer @ 1680x1050 is pretty much spot on...does anybody agree? It seems that the HD 7970 actually performs better as the resolution increases?
m
l
March 14, 2012 3:25:42 PM

bystander said:
Do you still have 4x AA or higher? If so, try it at 2x AA or off. BF3 is known to have AA issues.

Yeah I have 4x AA in-game, the maximum it'll allow. Turning it off helps a little, but not more then 5-10 FPS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:40:58 PM

[:russwood1488:4]
insomniac3334 said:
OK, so I Googled around, and this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1676992

seems to indicate that my FPS for BF3 multiplayer @ 1680x1050 is pretty much spot on...does anybody agree? It seems that the HD 7970 actually performs better as the resolution increases?

m
l
March 14, 2012 3:46:36 PM

So I ran furmark for 10 minutes at max everything, and all seemed well. I suppose maybe my system isn't wonky. So, that said, should would OCing my CPU or GPU yield the greatest difference?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 4:01:01 PM

insomniac3334 said:
So I ran furmark for 10 minutes at max everything, and all seemed well. I suppose maybe my system isn't wonky. So, that said, should would OCing my CPU or GPU yield the greatest difference?

I know max settings and lower resolution is more CPU dependent and the opposite as the resolution goes up... except for games like Flight sim. and Skyrim...
m
l
March 14, 2012 4:17:48 PM

OK, right when I was getting optimistic, GPU-z started reporting a x1 bandwidth again, as in yesterday's screenshot. I ran Furmark, and my power consumption is holding at 124 watts, never going over. Does that seem right? I have read that the card uses 300+ watts in reviews. Is it a case of Furmark not needing much power, or is my GPU not getting enough juice? Even after I ran BF3/Furmark, the x1 link bandwidth is still there instead of x16.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 4:24:47 PM

It might be a case of a questionable seating in a particular PCIe Slot. Do you have a 2nd PCIe slot you can try it in?
m
l
March 14, 2012 5:06:37 PM

bystander said:
It might be a case of a questionable seating in a particular PCIe Slot. Do you have a 2nd PCIe slot you can try it in?

Yeah but it's 8x, not 16x. I have read that difference is negligable. I'll have to try it out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 5:07:36 PM

Here's a little clip...I know the test setup could be better but wanted to give an idea~

I should have done 800x600 with the lowest possible settings and 1600x900 at the highest possible settings. I'd pretty much guarantee at 800x600 the work would have been off loaded to the CPU and the exact opposite at 1600x900 where the work would have been off loaded to GPU.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 5:11:15 PM

insomniac3334 said:
Yeah but it's 8x, not 16x. I have read that difference is negligable. I'll have to try it out.

Well, give it a go just to test. I have also seen this due a few different issues:
1) The board is too far away from the back of the case, so when you screw in your card, it pulls on it enough to not stay seated. You can readjust the screws holding down the board to fix this.
2) The card was warped or very heavy and I needed to push up the card and screw it a little on the high side. Or to test this, laying the computer on it's side will take away the stress (there are even brackets made to help hold cards now).
3) I've seen PCIe slots become loose so they wobble.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 5:20:38 PM

Quote:
1) The board is too far away from the back of the case, so when you screw in your card, it pulls on it enough to not stay seated. You can readjust the screws holding down the board to fix this.

I had this problem on my old Antec 902... I used a rubber spacer between the screw and mounting plate. Rubber bands work good as well...
m
l
March 14, 2012 5:37:58 PM

OK, I switched to the 8x port and the performance is the same. I guess that's a good thing? Before I switched I guess I had decided that my performance was normal, the only strange thing was the x1 bug and Furmark saying only 124 watts was being used. I have no idea if these are actual problems or not.

As far as the 7970's size goes, its a big card, but I use a screwless case (K58w) and it seems very well seated in both slots I've tested.

Could there be a PSU issue?
m
l
!