Solved

CPU thermal design power

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Build
Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:49:57 AM

Hello,
I am doing my first build and was recommended for a quick economical build the following parts. I was told that there could be an issue later about "CPU thermal design power (TDP) of 140W exceeds motherboard maximum of 125W." Being new I am just wondering what problems could occur if any. I am running the computer now and it seems fine just wanted to know if I could have some problems in the future or not. Sorry forgot to inform I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor on a Biostar A880GZ Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard.
Thanks from the newb...

More about : cpu thermal design power

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:11:59 AM

Some 965's are 140w TDP and others are 125w. If you have a 125w 965, you are fine.

If you draw too much power from the CPU socket, you could damage the board and/or the CPU.

If you doubt which one you have, you could load something like core temp and see what it lists as the TDP.

If you have a 140w CPU and want to lower the power draw, lower the voltage with an offset -.025v (negative .025v) The 140w 965's use a max vcore that is .025v higher than the 125w TDP units.

You may be able to keep your clock speed, or you may have to lower it to stabilize. You won't know until you adjust and test.
September 3, 2012 2:08:37 AM

Best answer selected by davidleedavison.
m
l
September 3, 2012 2:09:32 AM

Thanks after research it is a 125 watt so should be no problem. Just a cheap first build to get the feel for things.
m
l
!