Should i wait for kepler or buy a fermi

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I am planning to upgrade my pc step by step. As it does not have any gpu i am planning to buy a gpu first. I was thinking of buying nvidia Gtx 560ti but there are rumors that kepler is coming soon. So what should i do. should i buy the fermi or wait for kepler. There is another problem , it seems nobody knows in which port kepler will come. I mean will it be available for Pci-express 2 or it will come in Pci-express 3. i really do not know what to do.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Its pretty much set in stone now that the first keplar cards (GTX 670ti & GTX 680) will be out in april, so if you dont mind waiting till then i would defintely recommend it as you should be able to take advantage of either the performance upgrade or the price drop in the 5 series cards.

I would wait for kepler if only just for a price drop. that said, I have no clue when kepler midrange cards will be out, but the radeon 78** cards should be out soon for $250ish, and I would just go with a 7850. judging by the paper release benchmarks here, it should run much faster than a 560ti

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
guys you did not answer one question that is the port. I think everyone[almost] who have i5,i7 or whatever cpu, they have a pci express 2 port. So if kepler comes directly to pci-x-3 then they have to change their motherboard at least. but if they do not change mother board how much will they suffer in performance. now pci-x-2 has a big room for bandwidth. No single cards that are available now can half utilize it [correct me if i am wrong]. And we know kepler is not going to be 3 times more performer than todays card .Then what is the reason of implementing pci-x-3.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Thank you Bigmack i understand now. So everyone who got pci-x-2 need not worry about the upcoming kepler even if it is pci-x-3.