Msi r7950 cf and voltage question?

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I've had my cf msi r7950's running now for a few days now and for the most part I'm very pleased. I'm using msi afterburner to oc to 951 core and 1352 memory. My benchmarks and games are stable. I noticed on the box it says gpu voltage control,do I need to adjust this for better performance? The rest of my pc is amd 965@ 3.91 16gb ddr3@1600 single 1tb hdd,asus crosshair 3 mobo, and seasonic 750 gold psu. Does increasing power consumption in ccc to +20% raise performance? Thanks for the help

Solution
I'm no expert in this by any means, but in my experience/readings, I believe you only raise the voltage (gpu, cpu, etc etc) if you're having problems with your overclock, which, for gpu would be seeing artifacts or gpu crashes. I myself own a sapphire r7950 at a similar OC and have not had to increase the gpu voltage. I believe the general rule of thumb is to leave voltage alone unless you know exactly what you're doing, and raise by the smallest amount you need, as raising voltage on any component can significantly increase heat and shorten its lifespan.

hope that helps
I'm no expert in this by any means, but in my experience/readings, I believe you only raise the voltage (gpu, cpu, etc etc) if you're having problems with your overclock, which, for gpu would be seeing artifacts or gpu crashes. I myself own a sapphire r7950 at a similar OC and have not had to increase the gpu voltage. I believe the general rule of thumb is to leave voltage alone unless you know exactly what you're doing, and raise by the smallest amount you need, as raising voltage on any component can significantly increase heat and shorten its lifespan.

hope that helps

Solution
No I haven't run a good benchmark on my card (had a lot of issues choosing cards and kept on switching lol). I can run a 3Dmark and see what I get when I get home if you're curious. I'm running my 7950 at 950mhz core and 1350mhz for memory with load temps around 60-65C and idle temp around 40C in a nzxt phantom case with 6 fans total. I'm running an intel i5 2500k cpu at 4.6ghz.

as far as gaming goes I haven't had any issues with my setup and is able to run everything on max settings with the exception of a few directx9 games giving me driver related issues (which I assume will be resolved eventually)

Also, I'm glad to see that you're running a 750w gold psu, I was running mine 7950 card on a 850w bronze psu before and was getting occasional weird crashs and boot-up issues, switched to an 80+ gold psu and all my problems went away :)

lastly, there's an interesting 7950 overclocking guide on guru:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7950-overclock-guide/

it seems pretty good. again, be mindful of how much heat your gpu fan and case can handle and happy gaming!

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
My max load temps on bf3(on ultra) running triple eyefinity 6048by1080 has been 65c at 65% percent fan speed, I'm using nzxt panzerbox case with 6 total fans, I think this is good because eyefinity usually raises temps! Try and run 3dmarkVantage and let me know if u get a chance happy gaming!

on double eyefinity 1080p mintors with auto fan speed (don't have noise canceling headphones yet...), I scored: 3Dmarks-28764, GPU-31769, CPU-22407 with 3DmarksVantage. I'm guessing you'll be in the same ballpark? not sure how a 3rd monitor factors in