Digital Camcorders, anyone?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 7, 2005 3:06:06 AM

Hi Folks:

I've followed this group for some time, know about dpreview,
steve's-digicams, etc., and have decent background in film and digital
still photography. I'm an interested amateur, never was or will be
more.

But I know zero about camcorders. I'm not even sure if all the motion
recorders are called camcorders, or if they have certain subsets, like
DSLR's, "digicams", "prosumers", etc.

I'd like to now get into moving photography, but I dont' know where to
start. Anyone out there have suggestions for groups, websites, etc.
where I could learn as much about motion as I've learned here about
still?

More about : digital camcorders

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:43:22 AM

Tom McMahon <tmcmahon@verizon.net> writes:

>I'd like to now get into moving photography, but I dont' know where to
>start. Anyone out there have suggestions for groups, websites, etc.
>where I could learn as much about motion as I've learned here about
>still?

Try rec.video as your first video newsgroup.

I don't know what to recommend for review sites. I haven't found
anything for camcorders that's equivalent to dpreview, steves-digicams,
etc. There is camcorderinfo.com, but their reviews aren't up to the
sort of standard we are used to from the still camera review sites, and
they also have annoying floating ads from pricegrabber.com that obscure
the contents of some reviews!

Dave
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:59:03 PM

Tom McMahon wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I've followed this group for some time, know about dpreview,
> steve's-digicams, etc., and have decent background in film and digital
> still photography. I'm an interested amateur, never was or will be
> more.
>
> But I know zero about camcorders. I'm not even sure if all the motion
> recorders are called camcorders, or if they have certain subsets, like
> DSLR's, "digicams", "prosumers", etc.
>
> I'd like to now get into moving photography, but I dont' know where to
> start. Anyone out there have suggestions for groups, websites, etc.
> where I could learn as much about motion as I've learned here about
> still?

Check out the newsgroup rec.video.desktop
!