Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6950 and 120HZ

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 13, 2012 3:22:17 PM

Hi, I'm using 2x XFX 6950s in crossfire, and just got me a nice Samsung 23" LED Syncmaster S23A750D. It has one DP and one HDMI input, I've understood it that HDMI don't support 120hz.

My question is this then: as the 6950s only got miniDP (and not full DP) I need to get a DP-miniDP converter. Will this this still be able to transfer 120hz?

It says on my monitor properties right now that im running at 1920x1080 120hz. But when I'm playing WoW I dont think it passes 60hz.

I'm watching lots of livestreams and people using 120hz monitors there, their games runs soooo smooth, and they say its only using a 120hz monitor.

Do I need to get a DP - Dual link DVI-D converter instead of the mini dp?

More about : 6950 120hz

a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 3:29:33 PM

If your windows is set to 1920x1080 120hz, and it is working (not blurred) you are ok, just make sure you set your games frequency also... if i'm not mistaken games like Wow have internal frequency, so just set that to 120hz also to enable it in game.

you can notice 120hz already while using windows, if your windows is smooth, and you can see videos at 120hz, it is working, just make sure your game is at 120hz also.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 3:42:37 PM

I had the same issue with my 120hz monitor, I wasn't sure if it was being utilized when playing Crysis 2. It turns out I was right. I found out by looking through the monitor menu with its interface and it told me what mode it was in. As it turned out, Crysis 2, at least with the current patch I tested it on, would not allow 120hz, but every other game I tried did work except for Gothic 3, as long as I had it set correctly in windows.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 3:50:23 PM

you're watching live streams of people with 120hz? You realize video streams don't stream at 120hz right?

Youtube, for example, converts all it's videos to 29fps. It would look the same on both a 60hz and 120hz screen. And the screen that the live stream host is using has nothing to do with what you see.

The main advantages of a 120hz screen is 3d since it can give each eye 60hz. Some people claim 120hz looks nicer in games, but most people can't notice.

to set your screen to 120hz right click desktop->resolution->advanced->screen or monitor tab->frequency.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 4:56:43 PM

Most people WILL notice quite easily if you do a straight compare in front of them instantly as it's not like TVs; as long as the video cards can pump the REAL amount of frames needed...

I'll agree that 75-80FPS on a 120Hz monitor when you were used to playing on a capped 60FPS won't do much. But when you have the setup to push near 120FPS all the time (obviously with insane rigs or by limiting the graphics quality), it's totally different.

I will NEVER go back to 60Hz as main monitor for gaming.

I might not have the rig to push near 120FPS in new games without lowering the graphics (but staying at 1080p), but BF3 @ 105+, KoA @ 110+, DiRT 3 @ 105+, etc... is an awesome experience (any fast paced games with a lot of screen rotation/paning/movement)
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 5:11:37 PM

dechy said:
Most people WILL notice quite easily if you do a straight compare in front of them instantly as it's not like TVs; as long as the video cards can pump the REAL amount of frames needed...

I'll agree that 75-80FPS on a 120Hz monitor when you were used to playing on a capped 60FPS won't do much. But when you have the setup to push near 120FPS all the time (obviously with insane rigs or by limiting the graphics quality), it's totally different.

I will NEVER go back to 60Hz as main monitor for gaming.

I might not have the rig to push near 120FPS in new games without lowering the graphics (but staying at 1080p), but BF3 @ 105+, KoA @ 110+, DiRT 3 @ 105+, etc... is an awesome experience (any fast paced games with a lot of screen rotation/paning/movement)


I found that interesting, because for me, getting to 75-90 FPS is the sweet spot. That is the point where 1st person games no longer make me motion sick.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 5:26:53 PM

That's very possible, the eyes and our processing of images inthe brain are incredibly different from 1 person to the other; I was used to gaming with vsync on as capping my refresh rate was fine and reduced a bit of tearing. (I was always going for more FPS rather than ultra high quality).

When I switch to 120Hz, I stayed with my single 4870 and tried to pump as much FPS as possible, as in most games I couldn't go past 80 and unless I paid EXTREME attention (more to the feel than the gaming itself), I could not see the difference.

When I popped my second 4870, I could push near 120FPS on almost every game with low quality settings (but still at 1080p) and it felt holy different for me, and I actually needed time to adjust because games felt "fake", it was odd as hell.

But now, when I go to my brother's place, fast paced games on his 6950s in CFX feel holy sluggish, even if he caps 60FPS with vsync or unlocks it all with 120+ FPS in some cases (doesn't play Ultra, tweaks a High profile instead).

I'm making it sound like gaming on 120Hz is like the difference between gaming on 800x600 VS 1080p... it's NOT, but it's enough now that I got so used to it, playing on 60 just doesn't feel right anymore.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 5:34:54 PM

not just that, while using 120fps monitor, most of problems like screen tearing can be ignored, i don't need to use antialiasing anymore, screen tearring normally happens when the frames are higher than the refresh rates, so the screen is refreshed between frame transitions. so you see that vertical desynchronization. that "can still happen" but it is much more rare.

I really would never change my screen back for any other NON 120hz.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 6:03:04 PM

Quote:
2588923,7,316616 said:
"the eyes and our processing of images inthe brain are incredibly different from 1 person to the other"

What are some people not human that they have different Atomic makeup ???
said:


Lol, sometimes there is Daltonism, etc...

i used to think, maybe people with different eye colors see the world with different colors, but since they learned that that specific color, is blue, they name that blue... even if my blue is not your blue.

just like the other guy said, frequency sometimes help you to avoid Motion Sickness, that is normal for some people playing fast paced games, Car Travel, Boat Travel, Etc...

Only Proteans know that stuff.

m
0
l
March 13, 2012 6:27:47 PM

slicedtoad said:
you're watching live streams of people with 120hz? You realize video streams don't stream at 120hz right?

Youtube, for example, converts all it's videos to 29fps. It would look the same on both a 60hz and 120hz screen. And the screen that the live stream host is using has nothing to do with what you see.

The main advantages of a 120hz screen is 3d since it can give each eye 60hz. Some people claim 120hz looks nicer in games, but most people can't notice.

to set your screen to 120hz right click desktop->resolution->advanced->screen or monitor tab->frequency.


It sure looks like its running on 120 fps, its increadibly smooth, not at all <60fps.
For me it looks the same on a 60hz and a 120hz monitor the streams, but I have as close as makes no difference the same rig as one of the streamers i watch, and his game is running insanly smooth. Sure I noticed the scoop from 60 - 120fps with VS and without VS, but its not close to being as smooth.
It says my refresh rate is at 120hz. Both in game and in my destkop settings
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 6:43:16 PM

duzn said:
It sure looks like its running on 120 fps, its increadibly smooth, not at all <60fps.
For me it looks the same on a 60hz and a 120hz monitor the streams, but I have as close as makes no difference the same rig as one of the streamers i watch, and his game is running insanly smooth. Sure I noticed the scoop from 60 - 120fps with VS and without VS, but its not close to being as smooth.
It says my refresh rate is at 120hz. Both in game and in my destkop settings


well, is your game running at 120 fps? maybe low the graphics a little up to you get 120 frames, use any frame counter for that measure (fraps,Msi afterburner, etc)

If both are 120 frames per second at 120hz they will be equally smooth...

if the refresh rate is at 120hz, then vertical sync will be also locket at 120hz... so with vertical sync is not 60 FPS, VSYNC at 120hz will let you go up to 120 fps
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 7:00:15 PM

Quote:
Healthy eyes are healthy eyes it has been proven by the scientist and doctors that blue is blue and yellow is yellow ect.


i would like to see how they did that can you post a experiment?

by what i think of course blue is blue, and red is red, i learned that red is this light reflection, so did you, but maybe my red is slighly different than yours but i learn that this is red, that is why some people preffer, warm colors, or cold colors just wondering, i really have no idea if this is true... and how could they proof that this is not true...
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 8:05:53 PM

ricardois said:
well, is your game running at 120 fps? maybe low the graphics a little up to you get 120 frames, use any frame counter for that measure (fraps,Msi afterburner, etc)

If both are 120 frames per second at 120hz they will be equally smooth...

if the refresh rate is at 120hz, then vertical sync will be also locket at 120hz... so with vertical sync is not 60 FPS, VSYNC at 120hz will let you go up to 120 fps




Everything is locked to 120 fps so the 120hz is working.

What I don't get tho is how their screen is so intense smooth. I almost give up in finding out how
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:10:08 PM

ricardois said:
i would like to see how they did that can you post a experiment?

by what i think of course blue is blue, and red is red, i learned that red is this light reflection, so did you, but maybe my red is slighly different than yours but i learn that this is red, that is why some people preffer, warm colors, or cold colors just wondering, i really have no idea if this is true... and how could they proof that this is not true...


I know what you mean. Blue is blue, but how we actually perceive it in our minds may seem different than another. My brother is severely colored blind. He cannot see a difference between red, green and yellow traffic lights. He has to rely on order and in some cases, when he sees a flashing red or yellow light, he has to rely on what other people do, because he does not know if it's a red flashing light or a yellow flashing light. I've always been curious as to how his mind sees everything. To him it's normal, but obviously he views things different than I.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:13:02 PM

duzn said:
Everything is locked to 120 fps so the 120hz is working.

What I don't get tho is how their screen is so intense smooth. I almost give up in finding out how


It is a product of his FAPS converting the images to a very consistent 30FPS (or 29 FPS). The frames never alter or tears. You get the same effect in game as they do.

Incidentally, not all games react properly with v-sync on a 120hz monitor. Dirt 3 will v-sync at 60hz even if you are getting 150FPS (googling revealed no solution, only a lot of confirmations).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:52:13 AM


Quote:

Everything is locked to 120 fps so the 120hz is working.

What I don't get tho is how their screen is so intense smooth. I almost give up in finding out how


Well, being locked at 120fps not really means it is working... but it should be. can you take your screen to your friends house and compare.... maybe it is just a psycological effect (the neighboor grass is always more green).

or maybe your lg screen is not really 120hz, putting em side by side at the same machine will give you your answear.


Quote:
I not a Doc man Green is Green ect unless you are demented and ore color blind GOD!!!


i'm not saying that green is not green, of course GREEN IS GREEN, but what i say, is that maybe my green is not the same as your, but since we learn that this is green, the lime is green etc, that color is green, how can you explain a color??? it just is right? so of course we are seeing GREEN there, but maybe i see it in a different color than your, but how can we say it is the same if we both only know that it is just green lol....
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 2:26:36 AM

There is one other possibility I did not even think of until now. Something noted on one of the 120hz monitor reviews on this site. If your mouse does not poll fast enough (top in mice poll at 1000hz), you will not get the smooth scrolling or turning that you would with a high poll rate.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 1:33:42 PM

bystander said:
I found that interesting, because for me, getting to 75-90 FPS is the sweet spot. That is the point where 1st person games no longer make me motion sick.


I went and bought a 120hz monitor after reading this post. I've always avoided fps games b/c of motion sickness. I always suspected it had something to do w/ lower framerates.

Could anyone recommend any fps games that have native support for 120hz? Ideally those with demos available. I d/l the demo to sniper elite but I think it defaults to 60hz.
m
0
l
!