CPU selection for Gaming and later VMS. 4170 vs 8150

coderego12

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

I am currently running a Phenom II x4 830 and am starting to get displeased with its performance. Time to upgrade! I dont have THAT much money to spend but will have enough for another upgrade in several months. I also will need 2 computers so I want to buy an AMD now and I'll hop on a ivybridge later.

For now, I will want to game on this computer. Once I have enough for the ivy bridge, I will retire it to a server role running lots of vms on Virtual Box.

Question: So: I understand the 4170 is better than the 8150 for gaming cuz of the higher clock, but how will they stack up for VMs? I imagine the 8 cores will make a substantial difference in the 8150's favor?

Also side question: What motherboard features should I consider for use with vms? I know there are things out there like IMMU/directio for VMs but I can't seem to find a good comprehensive list anywhere. How do i tell if a motherboard supports it?

Thanks!

mace200200

Honorable
If your upgrading your CPU for gaming then go with a Phenom II x4 965 BE. It'll out perform either of the FX chips. As for VM's, I can't really help you there, I use to use them, but then I came across an old IDE hard drive that I use instead now.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I have another option for you, the AMD fx 4100 is basically the same chip as a 4170 and it is really cheap and can be overclocked to 4.5ghz same as the 4170, actually Toms hardware metioned in the August proccessor´s for the budget , and it will perform better than the 8150 because of the lower power compsumption.