Sign in with
Your question

Does amount of vram matter in crossfire?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 3:43:56 PM

I am wondering if I tried to crossfire a 3850 256MB with a 3850 512MB will it work? I know gpu clock and mem clock do not matter so I am assuming amount of vram does not matter either.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 3:57:32 PM

it will work but both cards will only use 256mb.

how much are you paying for this card though? the 3xxx series does not scale too well in cf. you would do better to buy a newer card

edit:
a single 6770 would perform much better. a 6670 would be slightly better i believe.
the 256mb of ram will be quite limiting.
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:38:40 PM

It will be limited by the lowest amount of memory as sliced toad said. I can't see why you would be crossfiring these cards in the first place, but i'm assuming you have your reasons. I'm not too sure if those cards can use "shared video memory" (uses RAM along with vram) but you should look into it :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 6:12:42 PM

Judging from your post I'm thinking that you have one card now and you are planning on buying the second one depending on what you get for answers in this forum. If that is the case and you are limited by budget amount then you can do that and it will work but I think it might not work as well as you hope. A better solution if you can afford it is to get a newer generation video card. A 6850 or 6870 would be good but it really depends on what you can afford.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 8:21:52 PM

Thanks for easing my mind on this issue. If I had to game on those craptacular cards, I would collect bottles on the side of the highway and eat kraft dinner so that I could buy something better. I have a problem with the artic cooling twin turbo coolers on my two 6990's. A 100mm crossfire cable is not long enough to reach past the radiator from slot 1 to slot 3. I have a solution but I am not willing to test $1500 worth of video cards on a home made splice.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 8:37:56 PM

? What? You have two 6990's and your asking questions about 3850's? How does a cooling fan problem have anything to do with vram?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 10:02:35 PM

oooh, i see. he wants to test his homemade cf bridge on cheap cards.

Unless you have both cards already though, just spend the money on an extra long legit cf bridge.

edit: nvm 100mm is the longest.
If you make or mod one yourself, take into consideration that longer bridges generally perform worse (micro stuttering and such). Make sure to use the right materials to minimize lag times and voltage drops. Talk to an expert on electronics or circuity or something if you're not sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 2:38:19 AM

slicedtoad said:
oooh, i see. he wants to test his homemade cf bridge on cheap cards.

Unless you have both cards already though, just spend the money on an extra long legit cf bridge.

edit: nvm 100mm is the longest.
If you make or mod one yourself, take into consideration that longer bridges generally perform worse (micro stuttering and such). Make sure to use the right materials to minimize lag times and voltage drops. Talk to an expert on electronics or circuity or something if you're not sure.

Exactly. Too bad the exact workings of crossfire is a closely guarded secret or this would be a bit easier. I will post my results once I get the second card. BTW, bought one for $15 and the second came off ebay for $20.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 2:47:56 AM

^nice. look forward to seeing the results. If you don't post them in this thread can you message me? I've looked all over and haven't found anyone else doing this, so I'm very interested.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 11:24:28 AM

I will post back here with my results. May be as long as a week or it may be sooner. I currently have an issue with printing a pcb that I made in autocad. The resolution in my printer is not high enough. Need to check around town, maybe staples or some other local buisiness can do it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 12:29:01 AM

I was thinking you'd be soldering wires together... seems you're aiming for something more professional, lol.
m
l
!