Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI Radeon HD 4200 HDMI for HTPC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 13, 2012 4:09:07 PM

Hello,

I am using ATI Radeon HD 4200 for a HTPC configuration and using the HDMI output. However I am not getting the HD video quality in the HDTV. Are there any settings I should use? The windows media center is also showing that the graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements. Is that true? Should I be upgrading this Graphics card for an HTPC use?
a c 218 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 4:21:37 PM

Have you installed the current drivers from AMD for the HD4200? Doing so, should meet the need. Go here and select the version of Windows you are using, then install the version of Catalyst Suite for your needs. That will do the trick!

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Use the link under AMD Radeon™ Desktop Video Card Drivers for your version of Windows.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 4:24:43 PM

Are you positive that your movie is in HD?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 13, 2012 4:26:34 PM

maxinexus said:
Are you positive that your movie is in HD?


sorry should have been clearer. I am using Ceton quad-tuner card to watch TV. The ABC channel is in HD which is not showing up as HD.

Thanks for pointing out the latest drivers thing. didnt think about it. Let me try that and get back here how it goes. Thanks!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 4:31:46 PM

that's an integrated card right? It requires a decent cpu in order to perform half decently.
just grab a hd6570 would be your best bet.
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 4:39:51 PM

slicedtoad said:
that's an integrated card right? It requires a decent cpu in order to perform half decently.
just grab a hd6570 would be your best bet.

While adding a HD6570 would certainly perform better than the integrated HD4200, the HD4200 in a HTPC that is not used for gaming will handle video playback just fine as long as the drivers are current. It is really a matter of need and expectations.

BTW, the HD6570 (I have 3 of them in various systems) is a VERY good GPU for the money. Good recommendation.
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 4:55:22 PM

thanks guys. The graphics card is integrated and I am using it alongside AMD Pheom II x4 840. Thanks for the tip on the graphics card will keep in mind for future upgrades. let me get the latest drivers first.

thanks!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 6:07:53 PM

COLGeek said:
While adding a HD6570 would certainly perform better than the integrated HD4200, the HD4200 in a HTPC that is not used for gaming will handle video playback just fine as long as the drivers are current. It is really a matter of need and expectations.

BTW, the HD6570 (I have 3 of them in various systems) is a VERY good GPU for the money. Good recommendation.

The HD4200 would have problems with video playback on, say, a lower end athlon, no?

But with his phenom II x4 it should playback video fine.

I had just assumed since he was having problems, it was because he had matched an integrated gpu with a low end cpu.
m
0
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 6:40:52 PM

@ arvindkanda - Just a quick note. Please make sure that the channel/program you are watching/recording is actually being sent in HD. The show should have the "HD" marker listed in the channel guide.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 10:29:13 PM

alright the installation of the latest drivers didnt do the trick.The experience index of graphics card went from 3.0 to 3.2. That's about it. It still gives the error that the graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements. anything else that i can try?
m
0
l
March 13, 2012 10:30:51 PM

Wolfshadw said:
@ arvindkanda - Just a quick note. Please make sure that the channel/program you are watching/recording is actually being sent in HD. The show should have the "HD" marker listed in the channel guide.

-Wolf sends


I tried few HD channels. I am sure they are all HD channels. Besides the WMC is saying that the video card is not capable of digital video. I am using HDMI to connect to a HDTV.
m
0
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 11:33:40 AM

Posted over at TGB.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 12:37:57 PM

arvindkanda said:
I tried few HD channels. I am sure they are all HD channels. Besides the WMC is saying that the video card is not capable of digital video. I am using HDMI to connect to a HDTV.

Are you able to play HD video (downloaded or streamed) otherwise (not using the tuner)? Also, are you only using WMC? If so, have you tried VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html)?

I am asking because the HD4200 will definitely playback 1080p. See this link for more details:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/7-serie...
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 12:43:04 AM

thanks COLGeek. None of the items that are referred in this article applies to mine. I tried few of them with no avail.

anybody else has anything else?
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 1:49:33 AM

After googling all over, I found that Aero theme could cause a problem. I disabled that theme and my graphics score went from 3.2 to 3.5. That did the trick! DCA is passed. Phew...!

I am able to see HBO in HD. Thanks a lot guys for your help. Really appreciate.
m
0
l
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 1:51:36 AM

Glad you finally got it working! Congrats!

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
!