3ds max, animation, editing, creating games

gamemakerstudent

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
what is the best PC computer to have for using programs like 3dsmax, premier etc.. for animation or creating games? i have a hp pavilion hpe phoenix. On paper it seem to be good, but when i am working in 3ds max or adobe programs my screen will go black and it say my display amd driver stopped working and recovered. but it keeps doing it after any thing i do at all in the program. it also seem slower than my Toshiba laptop, which seem odd. Ive tried changing the amd driver from notorious to 3d link but nothing much happen their. So i thought to send this computer back hoping it is just defective in some way and get another back before the quarter starts.. but instead of risking the same thing i wanted to know what kind of computer would be best for this sort of thing. i would like to have one to keep for awhile and be able to do pretty much anything i need to do right here at home so i don't have to wait to do it somewhere else. i work with a lot of Microsoft and adobe programs. i also want the speed to so i am not waiting for the rendering or baking etc. at least not as long as i would with other computers. so can anyone help with that?? please let me know something asap.

Solution
Display going black with graphics driver error means either your GPU is overheating, your GPU or its drivers is fudged up. Uninstall drivers, run CCleaner to remove as many driver crumbs as possible, reinstall and hope it was only a software problem. Use Catalyst Control Center or some other hardware monitoring program to keep tabs on GPU temperature to see if overheating might be the source of your GPU driver problems.

If neither drivers nor temperature appear to be the problem then the GPU might be having problems, either hardware failure on the GPU card, power problem or possibly something else. Best way to see if the card itself is the problem would be to try it in a different PC.

InvalidError

Titan
Display going black with graphics driver error means either your GPU is overheating, your GPU or its drivers is fudged up. Uninstall drivers, run CCleaner to remove as many driver crumbs as possible, reinstall and hope it was only a software problem. Use Catalyst Control Center or some other hardware monitoring program to keep tabs on GPU temperature to see if overheating might be the source of your GPU driver problems.

If neither drivers nor temperature appear to be the problem then the GPU might be having problems, either hardware failure on the GPU card, power problem or possibly something else. Best way to see if the card itself is the problem would be to try it in a different PC.

Solution

gamemakerstudent

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

also guess i should mention this is new computer i just got it, and it only does this when i am on those programs.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Rendering means parts that run hot and are pushed to the limit for long/extended periods of time. Something a stock case and PSU would not likely be built to withstand. Run HWInfo and post a screenshot of the summary screen to postimage or somewhere online so we can take a look at it. Also post a screenshot of the temps (the toolbar has a button that leads to temps).

if you got the fx8100 and 550ti version you bought some over priced junk. the same pc can be had for around $300 cheaper without the hp logo.
the cpu is fine for 3ds max but the gpu is a little weak.
update the drivers get them direct from nvidia...
there is a good chance you will have heat issues as the case is particularly poor at dumping the internal heat. replace all the internal fans with decent high cfm 1s and you will go a long way to sorting you overheating. the 1s that come with the case aint very good and can get noisy.

gamemakerstudent

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
are the updates free? i have the fx-8150 eight core processor. do you have a link i went to the hp and just finding where i have to but the whole computer and i must be looking wrong since i cant find any that is better than eight core. although if i did see it i may not know it like their is a h9-11ooz but again u have to buy the computer. so where would i find the latest drivers? or update it to the 7770? thanks again to everyone helping

gamemakerstudent

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
o ok than yes it came with radeon hg 7770 graphics card with 2gb gddr5 dedicated memory.DVI, (VGA via dangle,) display port and HDMI capablilities, support for blueray, microsoft direct x11 and up to 3 monitors with amd eyefinity technology. and yes window 7 home premium 84-bit