Sign in with
Your question

Multi GPU acting weird

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2012 7:49:20 PM

This is happening on two different computers.

My PC (Win7 64bit) NOT using Crossfire
---
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3

PCIe #1 (Furthest from CPU, Blue Slot)
XFX 5770 #1
Driving Philips 236ELH #1 & #4

PCIe #2 (Closest to CPU, Grey Slot)
XFX 5770 #2
Driving Philips 236ELH #2 & #3
---

Brothers PC (Win7 64bit) NOT using SLi
---
Asus M2N-SLI

PCIe #1 (Closest to CPU, Blue Slot)
Zotac GTS 250 #1
Driving Philips 246EL #1 & #2

PCIe #2 (Furthest from CPU, Black Slot)
Zotac GTS 250 #2
Driving I-inc iH252
---

Problem:
FurMark shows card #1 loaded to 99% and card #2 loaded to 0% when displayed on a screen connected to card #1
FurMark shows card #1 loaded to 93% and card #2 loaded to 13% when displayed on a screen connected to card #2

Why is card #1 doing all the work and Card #2 being nothing but a port expander?
We are not using Crossfire/SLi so each video card should only be processing for the monitors connected to it.

My old AGP/PCI setup used the proper card.

EDIT:
PLEASE STOP TRYING TO HELP ME GET CROSSFIRE/SLI WORKING, IT IS NOT THE ISSUE.
We do not use crossfire/sli because we never game in fullscreen mode.

I want the cards to correctly work like two independent graphics cards, and not to shift all the load to one card. Just like the my old AGP/PCI setups did.

More about : multi gpu acting weird

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2012 10:23:43 PM

It may be a setting in the BIOS or the drivers but it will use the primary graphics card for processing. Why don't you use crossfire or SLI?
March 13, 2012 11:04:14 PM

_zxzxzx_ said:
It may be a setting in the BIOS or the drivers but it will use the primary graphics card for processing. Why don't you use crossfire or SLI?

It gotta be a hidden well setting, I can't find it. :pfff: 

We both use/need the extra screens more then we need a few extra fps in games.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 11:25:42 PM

These might seem like dumb questions, but we need to get the easy things out of the way, so i'll ask anyway: do you have the the crossfire bridge attached? Do you have crossfire enabled in the Catalyst Control Center?

I also found the following links that suggest furmark does not support crossfire without renaming the .exe for some reason.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=158104
http://www.geeks3d.com/20081207/furmark-how-to-enable-c...
March 14, 2012 12:17:44 AM

I figure when I get this solved on one system the same solution will work on the other, so I'll use my computer as the guinea pig.

With and without the crossfire bridge is the same, card one has all the load.
Crossfire is off, but I made sure by turning it on and then back off. (while its on my other two monitor go blank so I know it was toggling)
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 12:21:25 AM

did you try the solutions in the links i provided?
March 14, 2012 12:57:31 AM

Just finished doing that now, I had to put the bridge back on the cards to test crossfire.

While in crossfire FurMark has both cards at 99%

I did discover something new, the card driving the screen I have set as primary is the one that handles all the load, while the other acts as a port extender.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:08:56 AM

Quote:
While in crossfire FurMark has both cards at 99%

Sounds like this worked then. have you tried this out in any games? is it working there also?
March 14, 2012 1:25:44 AM

I'm not trying to get Crossfire working.

I'm trying to get card loading to work correctly.

Normally a video card should only process data that will be output to a monitor connected to it.

Currently no matter what screen I'm doing anything on one card is handling all the load and the other is just sitting there.

I use to run a AGP/PCI setup, when something was on the monitor connected to the AGP the AGP card was under load and the PCI card mor or less idled, and vice versa.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:30:48 AM

You went from 1 card at 100% and the other idling to both cards at 99% in furmark. I guess this must be beyond my knowledge to assist with if that isn't what you were asking for help with.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:54:47 AM

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=455584 does this link move us in the right direction? i reread all these posts and it seems to me you are trying to get card 1 to run one monitor and card 2 to run to others without the load being shifted to card 1?
March 14, 2012 1:59:36 AM

kelthic beat me to it.
March 14, 2012 2:07:36 AM

Yes, I want the cards to work like two independent graphics cards, and not to shift all the load to one card.
March 14, 2012 7:00:11 AM

While doing more google searches something crossed my mind, Everyone adding additional cards to run more monitors end up using different chipsets because the second card is added at a later date.

Maybe mine and my brothers issue is the cards match, so some bug assumes they should be running in crossfire/sli

Before I put my system through driver hell and pull one of my ati cards to install one of my brother nvidia cards for testing, I'd like to know what people think.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 6:10:48 PM

you could probably test this by putting one of your brothers cards in your machine and one of your cards in his machines and running dual drivers. I believe you need windows 7 to do this, but i can't seem to locate the page that i remember reading. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270289-33-video-drive... here is a link to something that suggests that though, even though the cards being used were outdated. :(  Sorry, i'm really trying to help here.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2012 7:24:10 PM

Exactly what games are you having this issue with? And how are you reading the load?

If you aren't aware, not all games crossfire/sli and if you test in windowed mode, crossfire and sli do not function at all.
March 14, 2012 9:25:17 PM

kelthic said:
This forum states Windows XP and Windows 7support dual Drivers, but Vista does not. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297808-33-using-cards.... Another similar thread: http://forums.hexus.net/graphics-cards/136369-running-t.... Still no luck on finding anything that actually covers your problem though.

Yep both are similar :whistle: 
"Sorry! The page you requested couldn't be found"
"Page not found"

I'll have to get back to this later.
Two computers here went down, the year old SSD's killed over. They just vanished from bios and can't be detected by any of my hardware.
What pisses me off about that is I know it wasn't usage, no indexing, no defraging, no pagefile, etc.
Drive monitors showed them lasting another 8.75years (with only 6 months of work time used)

I have four here all are the same make and model, all bought at the same time, all used the same amount.
two are dead now, the other two will go soon.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 9:28:34 PM

Sorry about the issues you're having Sheti. :(  Wish i could be more help!
March 14, 2012 9:32:43 PM

kelthic said:
Sorry about the issues you're having Sheti. :(  Wish i could be more help!

I should have known better, I usually wait a bit before jumping on board with new tech but I just couldn't resist when the SSDs had a price drop.

On the slightly positive side, since one of the now dead drives was in my brothers pc it makes it easier to take his card for a while.
March 15, 2012 6:58:05 AM

I did get the chance to test the nvidia in my system,

It wouldn't run at all as secondary, and as primary it took all the load my ati just idled there.

I started to think maybe its the motherboard, the crossfire chip on my motherboard, it is taking a single 16x lane and making it two 8x. So the cards are never truly independent.

So in theory a non crossfire/sli motherboard with two independent 16x lanes (or 8x lanes with 16x slots) should allow the cards to run independently.
!