Loading windows 8 on to a new HDD new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtleendowment

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Is it possible to replace the HDD in a new laptop I buy that comes preloaded with Windows 8 and get Windows 8 onto the new drive? Or is it just preloaded and I would have to purchase Windows 8 on it's own and load it. :??:

Solution
Yes. Some hard drives come with software that let you do that.
Also, your laptop probably has the option to make a set of Windows Recovery disks to reload the image in case you can't repair the o/s and the recovery partition does not work, etc.
Yes. Some hard drives come with software that let you do that.
Also, your laptop probably has the option to make a set of Windows Recovery disks to reload the image in case you can't repair the o/s and the recovery partition does not work, etc.

Solution
You may be able to do this, but make sure you boot up the factory installed drive first and see if you have the option to make your own recovery disks from the factory installed recovery partition on the drive.

The alternative would be to use a tool like Clonezilla to make an image of the factory drive, and then put that saved image on to your newly purchased drive.

subtleendowment

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Can someone link me to a video and/or a text and picture tutorial of how to do this? I haven't used Windows or had the need to do something like this in so long. Like making the recovery disks seems simple enough but loading them onto the new drive after? And clonezilla is not something I'm familiar with. You have been very helpful thank you.

subtleendowment

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Sorry one last question, I more or less learned how to make the disk. Seems easy enough. So if I make this disk from the factory installed HDD then throw in the new drive and the recovery disc, and choose to boot from disk I can just load Windows 8 on that new drive relatively no hassle or is there more to it? Because what's stopping people from using this type of disc to load Windows on to all of their systems free of additional charge? Or is it a recovery disc because it only works with that single computer? Because somehow that computer remembers it had that exact Windows installed on it despite the new HDD. Hmm, I only ask because I'm not sure how to search for those specific answers.

The recovery disk only works with that specific system. The OEM license keys for Windows 8 machines are coded into their BIOS, and activation is triggered automatically. Because the copy of Windows 8 is merely running on a different hard drive, not in a completely different computer, it should activate just fine.

Just remember to keep your old drive intact for awhile in case anything goes wrong.

If SubtleEndowment is ok with changing it but isn't able to change it himself, I can change it to your answer. The badges and points here don't mean as much to me as a moderator.

subtleendowment

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Alright that's awesome info, really good to know. I'm definitely going to do that then because I can't deal with 5400rpm. You can change the best answer Prophecy, it was all helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.