Sign in with
Your question

2nd budget game $1,389 (now $1,504.90...)

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2012 4:21:30 AM

Before stumbling upon this site, I had just completed finding parts for the build I originally had earlier in the day. Finished the build minutes before coming here and learning a little more. Someone responded with some suggestions and now I have a completely rehauled build that seems like ALOT more bang for the buck! Any help or suggestions would be great!

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, but any place is fine!

Parts Preferences: Intel/ASUS, unless a cheaper and/or better AMD solution is presented.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: In the future for sure! (SLI)

Monitor Resolution: undetermined. high! (on par with or better than my laptops 1600 x 900 resolution)

Additional Comments: Trying to create a low cost, high performance rig that can run any game on the market at max settings or very close. I just got a part-time job and money will be tight, so the cheaper I can get my rig, the happier I will be! I don't want to sacrifice too much performance or reliability though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 1st Attempt

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/346362-31-attempt-bud...

TOTAL: $1,324.93

My Second Attempt
CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 - $209.99
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V - $189.99
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $46.99
Boot Drive: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 120GB SATA II SSD - $114.99
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM - $99.99
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 2GB - $399.99
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA Gaming Super Tower Computer Case (8 fans) - $189.99
PSU: NZXT HALE82 750W - $149.99
Disk Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner - $17.99

TOTAL: $1,389.91

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

UPDATE:

ADDED:
- Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO - $34.99

CHANGED:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - $239.99
PSU: ANTEC High Current Pro 750W - $174.99

NEW TOTAL: $1,504.90

My main goal with this computer is to be able to run Skyrim @ max settings with a bunch of graphics intensive mods (massive HD retexturing, LOD enhancers, lighting enhancers, mesh enhancers, etc...) and didn't want to hurt my wallet too much in the process. Also wanted my rig to be slightly future-proofed. Still will take on any recommendations to balance price/performance! Or do you think I should stick with what I got?

The lower the price I can get for my needs, the better! $1,500 is the max I want to go. Or if there is a better build for the same price (or less) I am interested!
May 16, 2012 4:35:26 AM

seems good, but your not getting the windows software? which is $100 64 bit
and a heatsink?
m
l
May 16, 2012 4:39:14 AM

armandjordan58 said:
seems good, but your not getting the windows software? which is $100 64 bit
and a heatsink?

I forgot to mention that I have 64-bit windows! :p 

No heatsink... any recommendations?

Also, is it worth investing an extra $30 for the Intel Core i5-3570K over the one I have selected?
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2012 4:53:12 AM

I3ladeDragon said:
TOTAL: $1,389.91

If you're purchasing at Newegg, keep in mind you can combo many of those items.

Your case and motherboard in a combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
$349.98 (saves $30 compared to purchasing separately)

Plenty of other combos, check all your components... you could probably shave $100 off your total or put that towards another toy :D 
m
l
May 16, 2012 4:56:15 AM

I3ladeDragon said:

Also, is it worth investing an extra $30 for the Intel Core i5-3570K over the one I have selected?

nice, where did u get a 64-bit? im tryin to build a computer too, dont wanna pay 100 for windows lol

but uh 3570k and 3550 is pretty much the same, more for overclockers with the 3570k though
m
l
May 16, 2012 5:08:08 AM

Quote:
nice, where did u get a 64-bit? im tryin to build a computer too, dont wanna pay 100 for windows lol

but uh 3570k and 3550 is pretty much the same, more for overclockers with the 3570k though

My friend has a copy that can be installed on multiple computers... A volume license or something like that?

I might just go with the 3670k so I can do overclocking at some point!

Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.915528

Plenty of other combos, check all your components... you could probably shave $100 off your total or put that towards another toy :D 

RAD! I'll look into that :D !

and...

Is this a good heatsink if I plan on maybe overclocking at some point?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 16, 2012 5:14:00 AM

I3ladeDragon said:
Quote:

My friend has a copy that can be installed on multiple computers... A volume license or something like that?

I might just go with the 3670k so I can do overclocking at some point!

Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.915528

RAD! I'll look into that :D !

and...

Is this a good heatsink if I plan on maybe overclocking at some point?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Wow thats a expensive heatsink. The cooler master EVO is a pretty good heatsink. Depends on how much overclocking you are gonna do I guess...., but that heatsink might be overkill...
m
l
May 16, 2012 5:52:23 AM

I3ladeDragon said:

Only if you want the option to over clock. The 3550 doesn't over clock but the 3570K does. Also I would dump that NXTZ psu for a decent one like XFX, Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Silverstone or Eneremax. One that you know isn't going to blow up. 750w ftw.

For a cooler try the Cooler Master EVO.
m
l
May 17, 2012 9:51:00 AM

Followed some recommendations: added a heatsink and switched out the PSU. Also switched the processor for the unlocked version. Price went up a bit to around the max I am willing to dish out.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - $239.99
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO - $34.99
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V - $189.99
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $46.99
Boot Drive: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 120GB SATA II SSD - $114.99
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM - $99.99
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 2GB - $399.99
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA Gaming Super Tower Computer Case (8 fans) - $189.99
PSU: ANTEC High Current Pro 750W - $174.99
Disk Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner - $17.99

TOTAL: $1,504.90

My main goal with this computer is to be able to run Skyrim @ max settings with a bunch of graphics intensive mods (massive HD retexturing, LOD enhancers, lighting enhancers, mesh enhancers, etc...) and didn't want to hurt my wallet too much in the process. Also wanted my rig to be slightly future-proofed. Still will take on any recommendations to balance price/performance! Or do you think I should stick with what I got?

The lower the price I can get for my needs, the better! $1,500 is the max I want to go. Or if there is a better build for the same price (or less) I am interested! (Most likely won't change the processor... Shadows in Skyrim are rendered via CPU, not GPU... lol.)
m
l
May 17, 2012 3:47:20 PM

That's a nice build.

I would get a sata III ssd instead. Try the same mushkin enhanced chronos 120gb or crucial m4.

Also. If you want to save some money get a cheaper case like the corsair 500r or 400r. Would bring you under budget.

You could also get a slightly less expensive mobo, like the asrock extreme4 or one of the gigabyte ud3h or similar boards.
m
l
May 18, 2012 7:46:01 AM

Tacked on $43 extra... I think I will stop here and call it good! Made several changes:

PSU (again): CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 - $149.99
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SATA III (lol) - $102.99 (actually saved me money?)
Heatsink: CORSAIR H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (because I felt like it... lol) - $114.99

NEW TOTAL: $1,547.90

I decided to go the liquid cooling route and figured since it was only $40 extra over the previous total, why not!? I was pretty stringent about keeping it at $1,500 but I factored in the fact that I have to wait a month or 2 and prices may come down by then. If I need to adjust some things by the time I am ready to buy, for whatever reason, I at least have a general structure to work off of!

Thanks for the help and I will continue to take feedback into consideration!!! :) 

EDIT: Once I get within a decent enough range of affordability, I might sell my current laptop (my only gaming rig I've ever owned). http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G72Gx/#...

How much do you think I can get for this guy? The keyboard lighting is dim on the left side and the frame for the screen is cracked on the top right corner. The right side USB / audio jack cover flap is missing. Shiny aesthetic caps are missing on both sides of where the screen moves (where it is attached to the rest of the laptop). Battery is nearing its end. Aside from that it works amazingly and has done a great job handling even Crysis at med-high settings! (It has overclocking capability! Up to 15%!)
m
l
!