Totally exasperated...*sigh* NEWBIE BUILDER

Im_Jay_Kay

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
So I've made several different threads in my struggle to get my new computer built and operating. It began with help finding compatible parts and finally evolved into me actually constructing the computer. Building a computer had been something I wanted to do for years and now that it has come to pass I feel like a complete imbecile because it is not working...

Skipping the arduous building process for a newbie like myself.

- I have just finished reseating the processor as a last ditch effort to get it to boot.
- I've tried checking the standoffs to make sure nothing is shorting the motherboard.
- I've checked the cables to make sure the connections are tight
- I 'Think' everything is plugged in that needs to be...
- Tried an alternate monitor just to make sure the monitor I had purchased was working
- Tried booting without the video card
- Tried VGA and HDMI cables from the monitor
- Tried without the RAM in just to get a beep code, which it did beep 3 long times to signify there was no RAM...

I don't have another mobo to try with it or access to any computer parts really, I live in a small town and everything was shipped to me online.

If I cannot get it figured out in the next day or two then my next step is to take it to a computer shop and let them poke around at it...Ideally I can get this resolved myself so I don't have to spend god knows how much just for them to look at it.

Here is a few pictures...If I can provide anything else to help narrow the problem please let me know...

EDIT: THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT DOESN'T BOOT, IT POWERS UP BUT DOESN'T BOOT OR DISPLAY ANYTHING ON THE MONITOR.

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Have you read the "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" checklist

what I like to do when there is no post is to remove the MB from the case and place it on an insulated surface. only connect the cpu (and headsink), ram and video adaptor if your MB doesnt already have built in video. Dont attach any cables for hard disk or optical drive or lights. If your system still does not post you know its either the CPU, ram, or MB.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
You have the correct 4+4 pin block stuck in the Cpu socket?
all fans plugged in correctly?
if fans have more than one plug, you only need to use one of them
unplug everything except the 20+4pin, the 4+4 Cpu pin and the pcie for the gfx card,
take all the fans off except the heatsinks ones ofc which are plugged into the right sockets
remove all the hdd led/pwrsw/reset leads and just short the powerswitch ones momentarily to start the system
Moto

If the motherboard is not posting, you should be getting beep codes indicating the problem (there are beep codes for no CPU, no RAM, and no video; the only 3 things the mobo needs to post). If the motherboard is getting power and you're not getting either of those, that points to a problem with the motherboard itself.

the mb has a built in post it card those two red hex led. see where they stop then look online or in your mb guild for the post it code. http://www.postcodemaster.com/ami8.shtml
you can have ram that not on the mb qal list that will cause a no post. or if you over tighten the cpu heat sink you can flex the ram traces and cause a no post. had that bug on my new system and my very larger heat sink. on other issue is the heat sink plate can be to big for some mb and cause the mb to short out.

larkspur

Distinguished
POST: Power On Self Test. It runs every time the board powers on and will communicate what is wrong with it through beeps. The three beeps you heard was probably your board saying, "I have no RAM installed." But you should look it up with your board maker to be sure what it is trying to say.

If that beeping was indeed a "no ram installed" message, then install only ONE stick of RAM (look at your motherboard manual to determine which slot to install ONE stick to), boot up again and listen for beeps. If there are no beeps and no display then try a different stick of RAM again all by itself. One beep usually means it passed POST and all should be well and the screen should be on. Make sure your monitor ITSELF is set to the proper input (DVI? VGA? HDMI?).