Do I have a overheating problem?

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hi, I just built my first computer and after play a game for 2 hours it froze. I didn't think much of it until it did the same thing the next time I played. So I got temp core and play the game in a window and the temps seemed okay. To be sure I used prime95 stress test the first option can't remember what it was called but after like 5 mins my 4 core temps were 77c, 86c, 88c and 89c. That seems high to me I'm not even overclocking. I have a cooler master geminii s524 cpu cooler with a 120mm fan you can upgrade the fan to a 140mm so I just ordered one. Do you think that will make a difference or is something wrong. I did have a hard time putting the cpu cooler on because the cooler was blocking the mobo screws. So I had to put the mobo in the case first then hold the cooler in place with one hand and screw in the nuts to the back of the mobo with the other hand. It was not fun at all I dropped one of the nuts and had to let go with only three of nuts in. I think its working I lightly touch the heatsink right after running prime95 and it was warm. Here is the rest of my system.

cpu: i5 2500k
mobo: asrock z77 pro3
ram: corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600
psu: ocz 600w
video card: pny hlr8 gtx 460 oc
case: nzxt source 210
hdd: wd re4 500gb

I know I kind of got the wrong hdd but just one will work okay I think. I'm kind of new to computers and it seems the more I learn the less I know :pt1cable: So I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Solution
The cooler master paste is fine. You may need to redo it. I have a i5 2500k with a cooler Master hyper 212 plus and when i run prime95 my temps don't go above 65 c.

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Just redid it and ran prime95 my temps were 59c, 62c, 61c and 59c :sol: The cooler has a retention plate and one of its springs was stuck down. Fixed the spring, cleaned the paste off then put some new on, installed it and works great. Thanks for the help.