Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Build Components

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2012 5:05:14 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into doing my first HTPC build, and have decided on almost all of the components for it. My plans are to use it for netflix, hulu, blu rays, tv recording, and a little bit of gaming. Mostly console port games when I'd rather sit on the couch than play at my desk. What I would really like to do is take the motherboard and AMD Phenom X4 965 from my current build and put that in the HTPC and then upgrade for my main build. I am wondering if that processor would work well in an HTPC though. Any thoughts? Also, what graphics card would you guys suggest putting in there? Thanks for your help!

More about : htpc build components

a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 5:07:54 AM

Hello Jobie111,

if you get a 3rd generation Intel i5 processor that should be plenty fast to do everything you want plus the motherboard will have built in gpu so you dont need a dedicated one.
m
l
May 16, 2012 5:16:08 AM

Hey nhasian,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, an Intel i5 or i3 is probably what I'd go with otherwise. But like I said, I'd rather put the AMD x4 965 in the HTPC and upgrade the CPU for my main build rather than buying one for the HTPC and upgrading my CPU in the future. I just don't know if the AMD x4 965 will work well in an HTPC. Also, it's been a while since I have really looked into built in GPUs, but I didn't think were capable of putting out gaming graphics for 1080p.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 5:26:25 AM

why wouldnt your existing AMD quad core processor work? seems plenty fast for an HTPC :) 
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 6:08:37 AM

The phenom is way overkill in terms of processing power for a HTPC . It will cope easily .
But since it will run hotter than a typical HTPC processor a case with decent cooling will be needed .
Maybe the Silverstone GD 05 , or GD 04 .

Another option is to UNDERCLOCK the phenom . Most BIOS let you make large reductions . Combined with a voltage drop that will cut noise and heat
m
l
May 16, 2012 7:36:49 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I should have been more clear in that I wasn't worried about the AMD Phenom literally not working in the HTPC, I was just concerned if it would be too much and would get too hot. In my current build with a bit of overclocking it runs at about 39 celsius with an ambient temperature of about 40/41. Before overclocking it was probably about 2 or 3 degrees cooler. This is with a Cooler Master V9 and that obviously won't fit in an HTPC case.

Thanks for letting me know about underclocking. I will have to check and see if my motherboard allows for that. If that is the case I think that would be the way to go. What would you say would be a good balance for underclocking it so that it is low power/heat but still enough to get good enough performance for gaming?
m
l
!