PC Freezing Randomly. Mostly during games

kingtop

Honorable
May 16, 2012
First things first i will drop my specs

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
Intel i7 950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 130W (with Cooler Master Hyper N 520)
6 x 2 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 240-pin
Nvidia Geforce 550 Ti 1GB
BFG Tech BFGR650WGSPSU 650W
1 TB Seagate HDD

Now for what happens, In some games that run punkbuster this happens alot it freezes up and i have to manually restart the computer. that is the common time it happens and i think it's because of the Realtek Drivers but it also happens when i am playing games without punkbuster some times it will just lock up the computer. The temps during loads are in the 60c-70c with the CPU. I ran Prime test for a hour and it never froze up so i ruled out the CPU overheating. I used MSI kombuster for 30 minutes at 60c-70c also to check the GPU was the problem still nothing but i will not ruling that one out just yet since i can take out the DVI connection and the monitors keep the picture until i switch slots on the GPU. when i plug back in the DVI to it's normal position is comes back up with the frozen picture.. I used Seagate tool it came back clean for the harddrive. I also do Live streaming using the program Xsplit and sometimes having that going will make the Lock up happen from time to time but not all the time it's like once a week i would lock up during streaming. During the lock ups the computer is powered on fans are spinning but sometimes the HDD indicator light is on and sometimes off.

If anyone can help me out i will greatful.

kingtop

Honorable
May 16, 2012

The GPU seems to be all fine and put together like it should nothing seems to be loose.

To be more clear, I am asking if the card appears even the slightest bit bent. Graphics cards are just as vulnerable to flex damaging the circuitry as motherboards are. Some cards lack a spine or stiff frame, and the weight of the cooler can cause the card to bend over time.

I had similar symptoms to yours with a 8800gt, and flex breaking a circuit was what caused it. The card would boot in windows fine, and run stress tests (somehow), but would fail after a while in actual games. Turned out the aftermarket cooler I had on it was too much weight for a card without a spine or frame, and had caused a break in the circuit. The break was small enough that it would still connect most of the time, but the thermal expansion/contraction would eventually disconect it and cause a crash.

kingtop

Honorable
May 16, 2012

Like i said everything is fine. It doesn't seem bent or anything. The thing i am wondering does the GPU really cause the whole computer to lock up wouldn't it just kill the signal display. because i also according to friends get disconnected from several things. which is what i don't understand if the powers still on why didn't the locks up just shut itself off?

Yes, a fault in the graphics card can lock your entire machine. What do you mean "according to friends get disconnected from several things"? It sounds like you're talking about an entirely different kind of disconnection than I am.

The machine can only shut itself off if the OS or BIOS still has control.

kingtop

Honorable
May 16, 2012

well i am just wondering if the system locks up does it just drop all services such as internet and all. thats what i ment disconnected from serveral things. but i never though the GPU could casue a whole lock up maybe the CPU. I will see if my roommate will let me grab his card to see if it happens again on his.

kingtop

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Haven't had time to get a friend lend me a test Card but i have noticed the Lock ups have been happening outside of games more. Usaully when it's been on for about 6 or more hours. also when it's been on for long then when i load up a game it locks up. I am starting to feel it might be the PSU or HDD now.

kingtop

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Underclocked GPU some (still haven't got a hold of a new card) It lasted for about 2 hours in a game then froze. other instances before that it froze as i start my xsplit cast or gave the xsplit up for 40 minutes. this whole thing is just all over the place now.

DaisyWondercow

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

Hey, my computer is having really similar symptoms- I know this is a bit of an old post, but I was wondering how you tested your sound? Did you just go through replacing components 1 by 1, or did you do something fancy and diagnosticy?

TRENDING THREADS