deneb ghost+ xcase
GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
16gb ddr3 KHX 1600C9D3
windows 7 home premium os
fx 6100 processor
1tb hard drive
550w xfx pro 80+ bronze
gainward 560ti 2gb phantom graphic card

My question is that if i want to upgrade my processor from the fx 6100 to the fx 8150 is it as simple as removing fx6100 and popping in the fx 8150 or will i have to mess around with voltages, iv'e been told NO i don't but the last time i did this i was getting overheating issues when trying high end applications , I have now put two more fans in computer and it's alot cooler highest it's got to with the fx 6100 49c i know the 8150 is 125w and the 6100 is 95w would there be any issues?,any help would do thanks.

More about : fx6100 8150

September 3, 2012 11:17:23 AM

madcap42 said:
I have a
deneb ghost+ xcase
GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
16gb ddr3 KHX 1600C9D3
windows 7 home premium os
fx 6100 processor
1tb hard drive
550w xfx pro 80+ bronze
gainward 560ti 2gb phantom graphic card

My question is that if i want to upgrade my processor from the fx 6100 to the fx 8150 is it as simple as removing fx6100 and popping in the fx 8150 or will i have to mess around with voltages, iv'e been told NO i don't but the last time i did this i was getting overheating issues when trying high end applications , I have now put two more fans in computer and it's alot cooler highest it's got to with the fx 6100 49c i know the 8150 is 125w and the 6100 is 95w would there be any issues?,any help would do thanks.

You should be fine.
September 3, 2012 11:25:33 AM

thanks for that reply nicko11 but that's not very reassuring lol if you have a little more info i'd be grateful
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:13:57 PM

You will have to re-install the OS. The CPU and Motherboard are written into the windows HAL file which will mean a re-installation.

As for the voltages the motherboard is compatible with chips upto 125w, you don't have to play with voltages.
September 3, 2012 12:27:58 PM

thanks for that reply, but doesn't the computer already do that when it says you have changed from fx6100 to fx8150 automatically? i thought it did
September 3, 2012 12:30:03 PM

When i did it last there was no problem accept for heat issuse which i think iv'e corrected i was just unsure if the heat was because of not enough power or something you could be right but i don't really want to uninstall if i don't have to
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:34:54 PM

Yes voltages will be set to default known working spec for the processor but I am definately sure you will be re-installing windows as you won't be able to boot.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:36:22 PM

You don't need to do anything with Windows when you upgrade a CPU... Just replace the CPU and it should work. However, it won't improve gaming performance over the 6100 by much at all (not worth the money). I do this all the time (even with AM3 and AM3+ CPUs) in client's computers without problems. CPUs of the same vender don't need to re-install Windows. If you change from AMD to Intel or the other way around, then you need to re-install, but upgrading an AMD CPU to an AMD CPU doesn't need a re-install unless you change more than just the CPU and even then, whether or not you'd need to re-install would depend on what you're changing and how you go about doing it.
September 3, 2012 12:38:53 PM

sarinaide said:
Yes voltages will be set to default known working spec for the processor but I am definately sure you will be re-installing windows as you won't be able to boot.

it definateley booted last time it was just probs with heat so i sent the processor chip back and got a new one because i thought it might have been a dodgy chip
September 3, 2012 12:40:05 PM

blazorthon said:
You don't need to do anything when you upgrade a CPU... Just replace the CPU and it should work. However, it won't improve gaming performance over the 6100 by much at all (not worth the money). I do this all the time (even with AM3 and AM3+ CPUs) in client's computers without problems. CPUs of the same vender don't need to re-install Windows. If you change from AMD to Intel or the other way around, then you need to re-install.

thanks
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:42:16 PM

madcap42 said:
it definateley booted last time it was just probs with heat so i sent the processor chip back and got a new one because i thought it might have been a dodgy chip

BIOS should fix voltages automatically unless you have manual voltage settings and even then, it should detect the CPU change and reset them (although I don't guarantee that it will). You shouldn't have had temp issues unless the CPU was damaged or you re-attached the cooler improperly. Also, did you re-use the 6100's cooler? It should be able to do the job, but if you didn't at least clean the old paste off and apply new paste, then that might be your problem.
September 3, 2012 12:42:24 PM

i mean i know the fx 8150 gets hotter because of 125w it's using but as you say blazorthon should be ok
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:45:17 PM

By changing from AMD to Intel or visa versa you are changing motherboards, I have changed Motherboards from various manufacturers and almost always needed to re-install windows. Also I have a secondary drive now but before if I wanted to use the FX 8120 by replacing the 1100T needed a windows re-installation.
September 3, 2012 12:47:30 PM

blazorthon said:
BIOS should fix voltages automatically unless you have manual voltage settings and even then, it should detect the CPU change and reset them (although I don't guarantee that it will). You shouldn't have had temp issues unless the CPU was damaged or you re-attached the cooler improperly. Also, did you re-use the 6100's cooler? It should be able to do the job, but if you didn't at least clean the old paste off and apply new paste, then that might be your problem.

No using the noisy stock cooler which came with the 8150 and using artic silver paste
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:48:11 PM

God no, that is why your thermals are off the roof, you need to get yourself a proper aftermarket HS/F cooler or closed loop water cooling.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:54:09 PM

sarinaide said:
By changing from AMD to Intel or visa versa you are changing motherboards, I have changed Motherboards from various manufacturers and almost always needed to re-install windows. Also I have a secondary drive now but before if I wanted to use the FX 8120 by replacing the 1100T needed a windows re-installation.

Changing motherboard brands can need a Windows re-installtion, but not necessarily. Sometimes, Windows will boot with other motherboards (usually only works with similar motherboards of the same brand in my experience, but it can work otherwise) and you can install the new motherboard's drivers from there assuming that you have retail Windows (OEM is locked to the motherboard, retail is not).

One thing that I've done in the past when that fails me is install a new motherboard's drivers before installing the new motherboard. I don't think this'll work when going from AMD to Intel or Intel to AMD, but ti should work when upgrading to new motherboards of the same CPU company.

Can you give more info from when you upgraded from an 1100T to an FX-8120? Did you change anything else, IE do a BIOS update or change boards too?
September 3, 2012 12:54:34 PM

sarinaide said:
God no, that is why your thermals are off the roof, you need to get yourself a proper aftermarket HS/F cooler or closed loop water cooling.

i'm not trying mega overclock most forums say the stock cooler for the 8150's ok and i now have good ventillation in case
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:57:54 PM

sarinaide said:

The stock FX cooler should be plenty. They are quite good. If OP is getting thermal issues, the problem is probably something else. The stock FX coolers can usually get some pretty good overclocks with good case cooling.

EDIT: Hold on, do you know if the cooler for the FX-41xx CPUs and the 61xx and 81xx CPUs is the same cooler? I know that it can take the 4100 CPUs very far (around 4.4-4.6GHz) pretty often, but I don't know about the higher core count CPUs. I don't get to play with them often :( 
September 3, 2012 12:58:06 PM

blazorthon said:
Changing motherboard brands can need a Windows re-installtion, but not necessarily. Sometimes, Windows will boot with other motherboards (usually only works with similar motherboards of the same brand in my experience, but it can work otherwise) and you can install the new motherboard's drivers from there assuming that you have retail Windows (OEM is locked to the motherboard, retail is not).

One thing that I've done in the past when that fails me is install a new motherboard's drivers before installing the new motherboard. I don't think this'll work when going from AMD to Intel or Intel to AMD, but ti should work when upgrading to new motherboards of the same CPU company.

Can you give more info from when you upgraded from an 1100T to an FX-8120? Did you change anything else, IE do a BIOS update or change boards too?

i think we have our wires crossed all i wanted to do is upgrade from fx6100 to 8150
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:12:04 PM

madcap42 said:
i think we have our wires crossed all i wanted to do is upgrade from fx6100 to 8150

Sorry, I was speaking to sarinaide when I said that. Don't worry about it.

Also, do you mind if I ask what this computer is for? Is it a gaming computer, or a gaming and productivity computer, or something else?
September 3, 2012 1:14:19 PM

blazorthon said:
Sorry, I was speaking to sarinaide when I said that. Don't worry about it.

Also, do you mind if I ask what this computer is for? Is it a gaming computer, or a gaming and productivity computer, or something else?

gaming
September 3, 2012 1:16:24 PM

blazorthon said:
The stock FX cooler should be plenty. They are quite good. If OP is getting thermal issues, the problem is probably something else. The stock FX coolers can usually get some pretty good overclocks with good case cooling.

EDIT: Hold on, do you know if the cooler for the FX-41xx CPUs and the 61xx and 81xx CPUs is the same cooler? I know that it can take the 4100 CPUs very far (around 4.4-4.6GHz) pretty often, but I don't know about the higher core count CPUs. I don't get to play with them often :( 

the fx 4100 and the fx6100 don't have heat pipes 8150 does
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:22:17 PM

madcap42 said:
gaming

How much would you like to get more gaming performance out of the 8150 at the sacrifice of highly threaded performance, but also with decreased power consumption (lower heat output)? The FX CPUs, especially the 61xx and 81xx, can be customized in more ways than any other modern CPUs and in some ways that most computer users (even most enthusiasts) aren't aware of.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:23:33 PM

madcap42 said:
the fx 4100 and the fx6100 don't have heat pipes 8150 does

If the coolers aren't the same, then the 8150 should be fine with a stock cooler even when overclocking a little. It's only a 30% or so TDP hike, I'll check the real-world power consumption differences between it and the 6100 to be more sure.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:34:08 PM

I just took a cheap H40 in push pull config with a 1100T and a instant 10 deg drop, idle in mid 30's went to mid-low 20's, load after a couple of BF3 frags and it hit top 35 to 40 degrees, without was like mid 40's or higher. While stock fans from AMD suffice the FX chips are hot I would say the 50ish he was hitting on load is very possible on a stock fan, particularly with the high clocks they run.
September 3, 2012 1:34:58 PM

great 30% sounds good there should be no issues as amd say safe is 61c but i know you can safely go a little higher
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:45:12 PM

They will not give stock coolers if it wasn't sufficient or defective, but its the bare minimum and you are not going to get good temps regardless.
September 3, 2012 1:50:42 PM

sarinaide said:
They will not give stock coolers if it wasn't sufficient or defective, but its the bare minimum and you are not going to get good temps regardless.

now have the info i needed thanks
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:51:44 PM

madcap42 said:
great 30% sounds good there should be no issues as amd say safe is 61c but i know you can safely go a little higher

I think that going to around 70c or maybe a little higher is fine, but that's another thing that I'll try to check. Also, did you consider my question to you?
a c 111 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:02:10 PM

Max is 61c, Blaze . . .

You could help him with the module thingy.

And depending upon the batch number, AMD has been steadily improving thermals and voltages -- watch out for over-volting with setting on *Auto*

GB can be bad with that

a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:02:36 PM

When BD first came out I could swear I was baking a potato.

K10stat was interesting, started reading on that.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:13:10 PM

Wisecracker said:
Max is 61c, Blaze . . .

You could help him with the module thingy.

And depending upon the batch number, AMD has been steadily improving thermals and voltages -- watch out for over-volting with setting on *Auto*

GB can be bad with that

Alright, 61c. That's not very good for a maximum CPU temp:( 
September 3, 2012 5:04:25 PM

blazorthon said:
I think that going to around 70c or maybe a little higher is fine, but that's another thing that I'll try to check. Also, did you consider my question to you?

yeah i'm good as is thanks but if i change my mind i'll try locate you on this site cheers
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 5:10:24 PM

Okay then. Glad to help.

Just so you know, if one core per module is disabled, your gaming performance will increase (excluding BF3 MP where it would be fairly similar) because the remaining cores get a significant performance boost. This reduces power consumption, so it reduces heat generation. This is part of what I'd recommend doing if you wanted more performance. If you're happy with current performance, then I won't go farther, but this could help keep your temps in check in addition to better performance. It's just something to consider even if you're happy with current performance.
September 3, 2012 5:13:30 PM

blazorthon said:
Okay then. Glad to help.

Just so you know, if one core per module is disabled, your gaming performance will increase (excluding BF3 MP where it would be fairly similar) because the remaining cores get a significant performance boost. This reduces power consumption, so it reduces heat generation. This is part of what I'd recommend doing if you wanted more performance. If you're happy with current performance, then I won't go farther, but this could help keep your temps in check in addition to better performance. It's just something to consider even if you're happy with current performance.

yeah your'e right might be worth considering do not really want to spend loads on cooling equipment
September 3, 2012 5:14:05 PM

also if i'm getting 49c max with the fx6100 3.6-3.9ghz when in bf3 frags everywhere complete chaos then i don't think i should worry about sticking the fx8150 in providing it does not go up by more than 15-20c maybe even 25c though not for too long
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 5:50:51 PM

Yes you should not have a problem although I do not suggest to do that cause the price of it compared to what you have now would just be a waste. I think you should wait until piledriver comes out before you uograde. You should not need to install the OS agin cause I installed a new cpu before without needing to (athlon ii x2 to a 8120).
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 6:00:28 PM

I'd recommend waiting for Piledriver too, but OP already bought the FX-8150. It'a a little late for changing OP's mind on that.
!