Sign in with
Your question

Help on switching to intel.

Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2012 11:22:45 AM

Good Morning, I want to switch to intel but my motherboard isnt compatible, Amd has given me many issues with games and my motherboard has not released a fix for said issues and this is very annoying.

Here are my specs, I am very new, what components would I need to buy/ what would you recommend?

More about : switching intel

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:42:00 AM

You CPU is not supported by your motherboard! That might be your issue with AMD! Buy a motherboard that supports you CPU and your issues will be gone.
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 12:14:14 PM

noidea_77 said:
You CPU is not supported by your motherboard! That might be your issue with AMD! Buy a motherboard that supports you CPU and your issues will be gone.

Depends.. .not supported on the 1.3 version of th emobo.. but is supported on the 3.1 version.
I think you right though... he prob got the 1.3 version - so is being a fool to blame AMD...

Cheers
Related resources
September 3, 2012 12:22:22 PM

yoji said:
Depends.. .not supported on the 1.3 version of th emobo.. but is supported on the 3.1 version.
I think you right though... he prob got the 1.3 version - so is being a fool to blame AMD...

Cheers

It is supported by it, it's AM3+
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 12:24:05 PM

If you are having issues with your CPU, 9 times out of 10 that is user error or a BIOS flash is needed. Not the hardware.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 12:32:36 PM

Help on switching to Intel:

Go to church or any religious house of worship pray for your soul for it will be condemned to the place of fire and teddy's and stuff chicks like for enternty.
September 3, 2012 1:00:19 PM

As posted by those above, the 1.3 and 3.1 versions have different socket support. AM3 and AM3+ respectively.

I see you are running Piriform speccy so try clicking the motherboard hotlink and see if it tells you the version number.

It is unusual for games to be 'broken' by motherboard/cpu - more often GPUs do this. If you do have the 3.1 version after all then maybe you could describe some of the problems you are experiencing?

If you are determined to go to Intel then as far as I can see, you just need to change motherboard and CPU. Are you planning or would ever overclock? this affects recommendations greatly.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 1:04:30 PM

Ill take your "faulty" AMD stuff off your hands for $50. :D 
September 3, 2012 7:00:51 PM

vrumor said:
Ill take your "faulty" AMD stuff off your hands for $50. :D 

It works fine, just some games arent compatible.
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 7:41:07 PM

DimbleDork said:

You need to elaborate and give more details.... I have never heard of a game which is incompatible with AMD but works with intel
(in the context of the kind of CPU you have and the kind of Intel set up you are enquiring about).

As others have said... may be you have some bad drivers.. or some graphics related issues (esp as you mention game issues)... but if thats the case... if you dont know what you are doing - you are just as likely going to have issues with an Intel based setup.

The fact you answer the joke post - rather than the ones asking for more info... so they can actually help... makes me think you may be a hopeless case... but lets see.

Cheers
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 8:51:19 PM

You have a trashy, cheap motherboard. While the CPU you have chosen is not the best in AMD's lineup, a CPU can only be as good as the mobo its sitting on... If you want to switch to Intel, I shant stop you, but if you're going to make the same mistake again buying sub-par components and mix and match them with good ones, you're going to be in this same boat again.

As far as the FX-6100 not being good enough, your monitor is a very low resolution, there will be absolutely no difference between CPUs at a resolution that low.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 8:56:53 PM

DimbleDork said:

Hogwash.. Microprocessors, microprocess. Both Intel CPUs and AMD ones do the same thing, they may do it slightly differently in terms of how they're designed, and some may do it better than others, the means might vary but the end result is the same. There are no games that can't be played on an AMD CPU nor are there any that can't be played on an Intel one. Something else is going on with that system.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a c 137 V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 8:58:50 PM

nekulturny said:
Hogwash.. Microprocessors, microprocess.

:lol:  I like that line.
September 3, 2012 9:01:37 PM

You've got a nasty motherboard (how do those even sell?) and a slow GPU matched with a barely average CPU. What do you expect? Give some games you are having problems with, at what resolution, and what exactly are the problems?
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 9:13:23 PM

There is absolutely no game that will play at 1366*768 that a 550 TI and FX-6100 should have any problem with whatsoever, assuming you have a properly functioning system.
September 3, 2012 11:15:59 PM

yoji said:
You need to elaborate and give more details.... I have never heard of a game which is incompatible with AMD but works with intel
(in the context of the kind of CPU you have and the kind of Intel set up you are enquiring about).

As others have said... may be you have some bad drivers.. or some graphics related issues (esp as you mention game issues)... but if thats the case... if you dont know what you are doing - you are just as likely going to have issues with an Intel based setup.

The fact you answer the joke post - rather than the ones asking for more info... so they can actually help... makes me think you may be a hopeless case... but lets see.

Cheers

Shogun 2 and Deus ex human revolution. Do some googling
September 3, 2012 11:17:42 PM

This thread is about switching to intel not about what games do and dont work on Amd.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:26:42 PM

I think what people are trying to do is help you understand that it is most likely poor quality hardware (motherboard for example) rather than a blanket blame on an AMD CPU. I, and im sure im not alone, have never heard of a game running on Intel but not AMD, thats quite silly.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:27:35 PM

DimbleDork said:
This thread is about switching to intel not about what games do and dont work on Amd.

Well, if you're gonna be such a dictator, I'm not gonna help you. I'm telling you something is wrong with your computer as configured.. and the fact that it has an AMD CPU is not the problem. But go ahead, piss away a few hundred more dollars, good luck. Nevermind the fact that Shogun 2 and Dues Ex are both games that FX processors actually perform slightly better than Intel CPUs. What do I know right?
September 3, 2012 11:40:03 PM

nekulturny said:
Dues Ex Human Revolution
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg10/amd-fx-...

Shogun 2
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg12/amd-fx-...

The problem at the very least is your cheap ass half-way compatible motherboard, and probably some other things.

No it's the bulldozer cpu, although I'm not too sure. But I've checked and there are many articles. But the problem I do believe is solved with an update for your motherboard which mine hasnt got. So therefore I need to buy a different one. Got any recommendations?

Sorry if I came off rude :) 
September 3, 2012 11:44:15 PM

And if you're wondering why I had to pick bad components,
is that I had a VERY tight budget and planned on building it up
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:49:16 PM

I have seen articles that said that those games had problems in the beginning and this has later been solved via BIOS updates, the problem is with that motherboard you have, since its not officially recognized as being able to support Bulldozer in the first place, there just may not be an update for it. That is technically an AM3 board, AMD does not officially support backward compatibility with the Bulldozer (AM3+).

Really, Gigabyte is being shady by marketing that hatchet-job of a motherboard as being "AM3+ capable". So thats not really your fault as a first time builder.

As far as solutions, well I guess it depends on your budget. I think, but I cannot sit here and guarantee 100 percent this will solve every problem. But then again, nor can I guarantee switching to Intel will do it either.. Theres so many factors that can contribute to issues with performance, and then that has to be meshed with the end-user's expectation on performance.

But if you wanted to keep the FX-6100, this is a decent motherboard, with the proper official support for FX CPUs, and a more modern chipset, and it offers decent support for overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you still want to switch to Intel, I guess we have to discuss budget, desire to overclock, etc. But at bare minimum I would be looking at at least an i5-3450 and a decent Z or H77 motherboard to justify it as an "upgrade".
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:49:24 PM

So you go to the manfacturer website and download the latest BIOS. Silly to spend money on something that can be updated quickly and for free.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 11:49:53 PM

DimbleDork said:
And if you're wondering why I had to pick bad components,
is that I had a VERY tight budget and planned on building it up

Well, take this as a lesson learned is the best advice I can give you. Trying to squeeze a budget just ends up costing you more money in the long run vs just saving up longer.
September 3, 2012 11:50:16 PM

vrumor said:
So you go to the manfacturer website and download the latest BIOS. Silly to spend money on something that can be updated quickly and for free.

As stated many times by nekulturny my trashy motherboard doesnt have a fix, I'd like to get a better one anyway for any future issues.
September 4, 2012 12:11:35 AM

nekulturny said:
Well, take this as a lesson learned is the best advice I can give you. Trying to squeeze a budget just ends up costing you more money in the long run vs just saving up longer.

So after searching around for a few minutes I found a forum post that led to a download of a bios update that supposedly fixed the issue for my motherboard, but the problem is I have no clue how to install it

It's an .FCd file and here is a screen shot of the file also.

How would I go about installing it. And In reply to your other post, yes I can afford that motherboard and I would like to stick with this cpu how hard is it installing a new motherboard also does the motherboard you suggested support my current graphics card the 550ti?
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 12:21:36 AM

Where exactly did you find this BIOS file? You have to be careful about such things. You should be aware of the "risk" inolved in a BIOS flash. Its not like a hard drive where you open a word document, change a couple things and save it. When you Flash BIOS you are wiping out everything and replacing it with the new file. So you want to take care to make sure that the BIOS file is genuine, and the correct one for your motherboard.

I would only use a BIOS file from Gigabyte's own website, which is here:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Here is a link from Gigabyte that covers the information on how to flash the BIOS... It should also be in the owner's manual that came with the motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.htm...

They also have a downloadable PDF file of the manual if you don't have one

-----

As far as installing everything to a new motherboard, not difficult if you take your time. There are plenty of guides and how to videos all over the internet. But the simple step by step is basically:

1. Disconnect the power to the computer, press the power button while its unplugged to discharge any remaining electricity. You should ground yourself before working on the computer. You can use an anti-static wrist strap or you can touch bare metal in the case before handling the components.

2. Disconnect power supply connectors, the CPU power and main motherboard power. Disconnect SATA cables, video card power cables, remove the video card.

3. Remove the motherboard, (I'd leave the CPU where it is until you're ready to transplant it)

4. Install the new motherboard into the case. You need to remove the CPU heatsink from the old motherboard, and you'll need rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter to remove all traces of old thermal compound. Place the CPU into the socket of the new board, install new thermal compound and install the heatsink.. Basically the reverse of the removal process.

You'll probably want to do a fresh install of Windows7 for best results when you get the system back up. And yes, the video card is compatible.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 12:27:24 AM

BTW, all motherboard manufacturers always have that blah blah blah about how you should never flash BIOS unless you're experiencing a problem. I can't disagree more with them. The thing about EEPROM chips, is they degrade over time, and the older they are the more likely it is that you might "brick" your motherboard during a BIOS flash. If the motherboard (I think all Gigabyte boards have a 3 year warranty) is under warranty, I say flash away. Its not your fault if the PROM chip couldn't handle it. They have to cover it.
September 4, 2012 12:27:47 AM

nekulturny said:
Where exactly did you find this BIOS file? You have to be careful about such things. You should be aware of the "risk" inolved in a BIOS flash. Its not like a hard drive where you open a word document, change a couple things and save it. When you Flash BIOS you are wiping out everything and replacing it with the new file. So you want to take care to make sure that the BIOS file is genuine, and the correct one for your motherboard.

I would only use a BIOS file from Gigabyte's own website, which is here:

Here is a link from Gigabyte that covers the information on how to flash the BIOS... It should also be in the owner's manual that came with the motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.htm...

They also have a downloadable PDF file of the manual if you don't have one

-----

As far as installing everything to a new motherboard, not difficult if you take your time. There are plenty of guides and how to videos all over the internet. But the simple step by step is basically:

1. Disconnect the power to the computer, press the power button while its unplugged to discharge any remaining electricity. You should ground yourself before working on the computer. You can use an anti-static wrist strap or you can touch bare metal in the case before handling the components.

2. Disconnect power supply connectors, the CPU power and main motherboard power. Disconnect SATA cables, video card power cables, remove the video card.

3. Remove the motherboard, (I'd leave the CPU where it is until you're ready to transplant it)

4. Install the new motherboard into the case. You need to remove the CPU heatsink from the old motherboard, and you'll need rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter to remove all traces of old thermal compound. Place the CPU into the socket of the new board, install new thermal compound and install the heatsink.. Basically the reverse of the removal process.

You'll probably want to do a fresh install of Windows7 for best results when you get the system back up. And yes, the video card is compatible.

Thank you very much for all your help, let's see if this flash works.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2012 12:29:37 AM

DimbleDork said:
Thank you very much for all your help, let's see if this flash works.

You're welcome. I hope it solves the problem. I hate it when people have to run out and spend more money because of things like this. I already am not a fan of Gigabyte, them re-badging an AM3 board as an AM3+ to make a profit without properly informing their customers is an outrage.
!