Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temperatures?

Last response: in Components
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 11:48:03 AM

Hi, I know I've probably asked this more than once now but I can't seem to get a proper answer

I have just installed the CM TX3 Evo on my Phenom 965BE on stock clock and i think the temps are too high

Idle:40C
Load:56C

Are these not too much?
Did I use too much thermal paste?

More about : cpu temperatures

a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:29:47 PM

Is your 965 the 140W model or the 125W model?

40c idle seems a bit high

56c load may be a bit high as well--depends what you mean under load

normal usage load or prime95 etc

how much thermal paste did you use?
a c 114 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 12:36:08 PM

BuddiLuva said:
Hi, I know I've probably asked this more than once now but I can't seem to get a proper answer

I have just installed the CM TX3 Evo on my Phenom 965BE on stock clock and i think the temps are too high

Idle:40C
Load:56C

Are these not too much?
Did I use too much thermal paste?
What's the ambient temperature in the room?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 116 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 1:34:00 PM

Idle temps are a bit high.

If thats under full load, very good temps.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:08:42 PM

mcnumpty23- Its the 125W Model, And the load temps are prime95 full load. I think i used a tiny bit more than a pea size, it looked like a rather thick-ish layer over the CPU

GhislainG- Ambient temp is no more than 21-22c

manofchalk- That is Prime95 load temps, when gaming its around 52-53c, shouldn't it be much lower because thats almost identical to the stock heatsink that came with the CPU?
a c 114 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:13:28 PM

Quote:
I think i used a tiny bit more than a pea size, it looked like a rather thick-ish layer over the CPU
It should be a very very thin layer. The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the voids, not to isolate the CPU from the heatsink.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:20:34 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
I think i used a tiny bit more than a pea size, it looked like a rather thick-ish layer over the CPU
It should be a very very thin layer. The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the voids, not to isolate the CPU from the heatsink.

I didn't mean really thick, should it be thin enough to see the cpu?
I will try to re apply it again tonight, hopefully that is the issue
a c 133 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:32:04 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
40c idle seems a bit high

Depending on what fan profile is selected, idle temperature may have little to no meaning since the fan may be practically stopped at idle which would naturally cause "high" idle temperature.

As long as load temperatures are fine, there is nothing worth worrying about.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:41:19 PM

InvalidError said:
Depending on what fan profile is selected, idle temperature may have little to no meaning since the fan may be practically stopped at idle which would naturally cause "high" idle temperature.

As long as load temperatures are fine, there is nothing worth worrying about.

yep thats true--load temperatures are more important than idle

though if amd cpus downclock and lower voltage like intel when idle it still seems a bit high

but 56c under prime95 seems not bad for a 125w cpu
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:48:37 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
yep thats true--load temperatures are more important than idle

though if amd cpus downclock and lower voltage like intel when idle it still seems a bit high

but 56c under prime95 seems not bad for a 125w cpu

So 56c is good for stock clocks with a TX3?

Thats only about 3c cooler than the stock heatsink

Also I was planning on OC'ing but I guess there is no headroom for that.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 2:58:04 PM

one or two fans on the cooler?

and just looked and it seems to be a push pin cooler

so 1st thing i would check is that all the push pins are properly engaged as they are notorious for not engaging properly

though as i said 56c doesnt seem too high to me as prime95 is a severe test

and depends how fast the fans going--the stock heatsink fan may have been going much faster
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 4:40:08 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
one or two fans on the cooler?

and just looked and it seems to be a push pin cooler

so 1st thing i would check is that all the push pins are properly engaged as they are notorious for not engaging properly

though as i said 56c doesnt seem too high to me as prime95 is a severe test

and depends how fast the fans going--the stock heatsink fan may have been going much faster

Only 1 fan, and the pins are pushed in fine, I might try redoing the thermal paste. The room is about 29c now and the idle temps are 46c and 60c on load
Isn't that too much
a c 114 à CPUs
September 3, 2012 5:28:48 PM

Earlier you wrote that the room temp was not over 21-22°C. If it's 29°C, then the temps are a bit high, but not that much. What are they when you cool the room to 22°C? It should it make a significant difference.
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2012 6:31:39 PM

This is a one off it being 29c since its been really hot today, which idle has been around 46 and load 60

But normally when ambient is 21-22c Idle is around 40c and Load is about 56c
!