I5 3570k temp question

RAKESH KARMAKAR

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hello,
i bought i5 3570k recently. when i play games ,i keep realtemp running.............and i am noticing my temps are going 69C to 73C in each core (i usually play games for half an hour to maximum 1 hr ) . my cpu is clocked at stock speed (3.4 GHZ) and im using stock cooler ............. i m worried about the temps pls help !!!

RAKESH KARMAKAR

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
WHAT SHOULD BE THE NORMAL TEMPERATURES
1> IN IDLE MODE ??
2> WHILE PLAYING GAMES LIKE BF3 AND ALL ?

MY SPECS - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8 GB RAM
ZOTAC GTX 550TI
ASROCK Z7 EXTREME 4
1 TB HARD DISK

If speed step is enabled, your CPU will IDLE @ 1.6 GHz, in this case it should IDLE @ 28-30C, assuming your stock cooler is properly installed. If sped step is disabled and you're running @ full speed you should IDLE @ the mid thirties.

While heavy gaming you should be in the 60s range, however those temps sounds to be realistic because you're running on stock cooler and it's more related to ambient temps.

there's no review out there tests the Ivy Bridge on stock coolers, get an aftermarket cooler then start to worry about temps.

You can also review this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341157-28-temperature-high-3570k

Performance gets throttled after 75C for core clock, the 105C is the max safe degree before thee CPU dies.

Nope it won't harm it, and turn off the caps lock it's against forum rules :p

InvalidError

Titan

The throttle threshold on Sandy Bridge is in the neighborhood of 90C, not 75C. Ivy Bridge's throttling threshold is somewhere in the 90-95C range.

Those would be CORE temperatures, not to be confused with PACKAGE temperatures.

Simply you're flat wrong, if 90C or even 80C was a safe temp for the CPU's age and performance, everyone wouldn't have gone with an aftermarket CPU cooler or a liquid cooling system to OC their CPUs.
From Tomshardware test system, I read the following
Armed with the knowledge that Intel's 22 nm chips have a bad habit of throttling at the high temperatures they reach overclocked, we made sure to use a decent cooler. As with any overclock, our plan was to use as little additional voltage as possible to hit the highest possible frequency, and we were quite pleased to hit 4.6 GHz using a simple .1 V-increase. Under the load of Prime95, the hottest core hit 71 degrees. But we could see from our benchmark results that performance isn't throttled.

While 90C+ may not be "safe" (or even close), I know from my own personal experience that my own 2500K doesn't throttle at even 94C (stupidly tried a small OC on the stock cooler, before I got my 212 Evo). It was chugging right along at full speed, though.

I believe that throttle temp is right at Tjmax (98C for a 2500K and ~100C for a 3570K). It wouldn't even shut down until well over 100C (something like 130C, if I recall correctly) with the shutdown threshold at default (according to Christian, the Intel guy here).

TCase is just the recommended temp for longevity. Is it a good thing to stay at or below that? Absolutely, but it's not instant (or even quick) death if you don't.

I'm not talking about throttling as the" point in which your system gets down as a cause of reaching the maximum temperature the CPU runs at" but I'm talking as it's the "point in which your performance won't be comparable to a similar CPU running at 60C as max temp", Do you get me?

In most of the modern motherboards CPU warning temp start @ 70C, right?

Yeah, I understand you now, but I never experienced any slow performance from high temps with my 2500K (of course, it hasn't been over 66C since I got my 212 Evo).

But I set my warning temp to 90C, so I've only ever seen that warning a couple times early on with the stock cooler. 70C is WAY too conservative to me.

InvalidError

Titan

CPUs' performance is not affected by temperature until you hit the point where thermal throttling kicks in and this point is over 90C core temperature on both SB and IB.

Again, you claim that CPU performance won't be affected @ 90C? It's not a good justification for aftermarket coolers :pfff:

Do you have any benches comparing performance @ 90C and @ 60C?

Well, Imagine your CPU Idles @ 70C and Loads @ 90-95C 24/7, of course you won't notice any slow performance the moment you hit 90C, though I never tried it.

Edit: Never mind, I read that wrong, lol.

But I suppose that you're right that you wouldn't notice a difference, in that case, BUT, no one idles at that temp anyway.

I would have to see benches of a hot CPU vs. a cool CPU to convince me that it's a problem, though. I definitely don't believe it as it stands.

I've not seen your post before editing, I believe that if your CPU reached 95C at load it won't go back to thirties easily and it will Idle at those temps or below that range. In case that heat dissipation works well.

EDIT: Toms mentioned a word about throttling up there.

The 2 or 3 times I actually did let my 2500K get above 90C, it cooled right back down to the high 30's (normal idle with the stock cooler, or at least it was normal for me for that one week, lol).

I just think people are way too worried about temps, though.

Again, it's always good to keep it cooler if you can, but high voltage is the real killer. High temps are only a slow killer.

And in the article you quoted, I believe they only saw thermal throttling at Tjmax. As far a I know, they never mentioned reduced performance from high temps.

The part you bolded above with my own bold

the hottest core hit 71 degrees. But we could see from our benchmark results that performance isn't throttled

InvalidError

Titan

Aftermarket coolers are mainly for peace of mind.

People who push IB over 4.5GHz often end up running the chips in the neighborhood of 90C and benchmark results are in line with SB running at ~4.8GHz and proportionally higher than stock clocks in both cases.