Sign in with
Your question

FSP Raider 550w good?

Last response: in Components
September 3, 2012 1:45:43 PM

Well its a bit cheaper in my country,and i rarely hear something about FSP (Fortron),wanted to know if it is any good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : fsp raider 550w good

a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2012 2:27:47 PM

It looks pretty decent. Still, there are no reviews around so it's still a bit of a gamble.

FSP is a fairly big PSU OEM, they just rarely sell under their own brand. Quality varies.
a c 128 ) Power supply
September 3, 2012 2:49:40 PM

Here's what RealHardTech has to say about FSP
"FSP Group was established in 1993 and nowadays stands as the 5th largest power supply vendor in the world.
FSP / Fortron cooperates as OEM with many companies (Thermaltake, Antec, BeQuiet!, Amacrox, etc) to provide quality products"

The RAIDER units I found reviews for, the 450W reviewed by AnandTech and the 650W reviewed by HardwareSecrets both recieved high ratings. Since the 550W will be of the same design, I would come to the conclusion that the 550W would perform about the same.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-c...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/FSP-Raider-650-W...
Hope it helps some
Related resources
September 3, 2012 3:05:38 PM

Thanks alot! I think ill grab one.By the way,will it work with i5 3450,MSI HD7870 and Asrock Z77 ?
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2012 3:11:58 PM

Should work well with those components.
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 3, 2012 5:00:13 PM

Supposedly a less efficient and otherwise cost reduced version of the Aurum platform, which was a budget platform to start with. So you should only get it if is cheaper than competitors.
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2012 5:36:48 PM

Silvune said:
Supposedly a less efficient and otherwise cost reduced version of the Aurum platform, which was a budget platform to start with. So you should only get it if is cheaper than competitors.

The Aurum PSUs are 80+ gold certified, I wouldn't call that budget. Nor are the Japanese capacitors they contain or the 5 year warranty typical of budget PSUs.
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 10:02:27 AM

Just because a unit is 80 Plus Gold certified does not mean that it is a high end design.

The primary capacitor is Japanese, the secondary capacitors are CapXon (not Japanese), see final paragraph on this page:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/FSP-Aurum-Gold-7...

It is also a group regulated design.

In a lot of markets Aurums are almost always the cheapest 80 Plus Gold units you can buy.

When FSP re-entered the retail PSU market with the Aurums, it was all they sold, so had to give a positive impression with long warranties, it is definitely a positive that FSP decided to support their product so strongly. Again, just because Aurums (used to be) the highest end design that FSP sold doesn't mean that it is a high end design in comparison to other manufacturers/competitors.
a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 10:19:48 AM

Just because it's not the best of the best doesn't mean it's low-end budget stuff. Which you might accuse the Raider PSUs of, but they still seem to do well enough. Hardwaresecrets certainly lavished praise on the 650W version.
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 4:41:43 PM

Hardwaresecrets heaped praise on the Raider 650 despite its voltage regulation being +/- 5%, rather than +/- 3%; the +12V rail got as low as 11.59/11.41 (the lower limit is 11.40 btw). And actually falling to 11.32 when overloaded by ~30 Watts.
Also ripple and noise suppression wasn't that stellar reaching ~87mV on the +12V rails. Ripple and noise exceeded specification when overloaded by ~30W.

Which illustrates the point that you actually have to read and analyse reviews rather than just accept whether or not they get recommended, or not.
a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 4:58:40 PM

+/- 5% is within spec. Going out of spec when loaded beyond spec is... what's your point? Must a budget PSU perform better than it's even supposed to?
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 6:23:33 PM

I'm saying it's not that worthy of the praise it received in that review.
!