Windows Explorer Folder Details

This behaviour started after SP2 was applied.

I have XP Pro + SP2 + firewall etc, Indeo codecs

Problem is with Windows Explorer folder view.

I use the "Details" view so that I see Name, Size, Time, Type, Date
Modified.

Once every session until I go to Folder->Apply to All Folders, this
view setting changes.

It changes when I navigate to a folder containing multimedia items such
as MP3s or .gif files. Then the view changes to show extra details "Date
Picture Taken", "Dimension".

And at this point I am mad and have to repeat "Apply to All Folders".

I have read that it may be some setting on the MFT or something, but
nothing has helped so far, other than changing to a difference file
manager.

--
hotkee
1 answer Last reply

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:41:26 +0000, hotkee wrote:

    > This behaviour started after SP2 was applied.
    >
    > I have XP Pro + SP2 + firewall etc, Indeo codecs
    >
    > Problem is with Windows Explorer folder view.
    >
    > I use the "Details" view so that I see Name, Size, Time, Type, Date
    > Modified.
    >
    > Once every session until I go to Folder->Apply to All Folders, this
    > view setting changes.
    >
    > It changes when I navigate to a folder containing multimedia items such
    > as MP3s or .gif files. Then the view changes to show extra details "Date
    > Picture Taken", "Dimension".
    >
    > And at this point I am mad and have to repeat "Apply to All Folders".
    >
    > I have read that it may be some setting on the MFT or something, but
    > nothing has helped so far, other than changing to a difference file
    > manager.

    It sounds like your multimedia files are stored in customized folders.
    These folders use templates (the templates are specific settings stored in
    that folder's desktop.ini file) to create the display of the folder items.
    If you right click any folder (except system folders) and choose
    Properties, you'll see a "Customize" page that lists the various templates
    available. Don't select anything here or select Documents if you want no
    embellishments in the display of the folder.

    You could create a new folder for these multimedia items and move them into
    it. Or another possible way around this is using Folder Options> View.
    Check the box to "remember each folder's view settings." I use this
    setting. It will remember whatever view preference you used last in a
    folder and if it's a customized folder it allows that setting to override
    the customizations.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Windows Explorer Customization Windows XP