Bios and cpu

what would would happen if my cpu wasn't compatible with the bios on my current motherboard? i have a i5 3570k (i think, defiantly 1155) and a GA-Z68AP-D3 gigabyte motherboard (1155 also) and i want to know if this is the problem.
18 answers Last reply
More about bios
  1. Check with the Gigabyte support site. what IS supported on the mobo
  2. the chipsets which are fully compatible with i5 3570K are B75, H77, Q75, Q77, Z75, Z77. Even if your given motherboard is LGA1155, it is not compatible with your i5 3570K. here is a list of processors which Z68 chipset supports
  3. Looks like on gigabyte website you should have an F7 or later BIOS. With older BIOS it probably wont post or wont be recognized.
  4. knightdog56 said:
    Looks like on gigabyte website you should have an F7 or later BIOS. With older BIOS it probably wont post or wont be recognized.


    Nah...the last Bios is F8.

    You CPU and motherboard are compatible. Just update the Bios on Gigabyte website.
  5. ok another quick question is all ddr3 ram compatible with all ddr3 motherboards? i know motherboards have their preferred ones but im just currios
  6. Compatible as it will work, yes.

    But any ram mobo combination will not necessarily perform optimal. "DDR3" is a standard. That is why it is called DDR3 and not just some ram. ^^
  7. No they are not. The ram kit voltage must be compatible with your motherboard and cpu.
  8. kymf said:
    what would would happen if my cpu wasn't compatible with the bios on my current motherboard? i have a i5 3570k (i think, defiantly 1155) and a GA-Z68AP-D3 gigabyte motherboard (1155 also) and i want to know if this is the problem.



    Hi Kymf - I have just registered today, having found a post which seems to relate to your problem (although you don't actually say what the specific problem is). Have a look at:

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/311850-12-z68xp-firmware-update-3770k

    where it is claimed that a new build pc, with a core i7 Ivy bridge processor will not boot up if the BIOS version is too old. Gigabyte's BIOS support chart for my motherboard (Z68XP-UD3) shows that versions f4, f5 and f7 relate to support for 22nm cpus, but f9 is the first to explicitly mention Ivy Bridge. The killer reply (that yes, you have to boot up with a Sandy Bridge cpu in order to be able to update the BIOS) seems an absolutely absurd situation. I'm hoping that someone can throw some light on this as I am about to order a cpu for my build.
  9. jemm said:
    No they are not. The ram kit voltage must be compatible with your motherboard and cpu.


    What are you talking about? Any DDR3 DRAM will work on a mobo with DDR3 support.

    The Joint Electron Devices Engineering Council (JEDEC) will confirm this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC
  10. You are giving misleading information here.

    DDR3 Kits are different in voltage, as I have pointed out. You can´t place a DDR3 2.1v Kit, if CPU memory controller max voltage is 1.8 or 1.65v.

    As you have posted the link for JEDEC, then have a look at it properly.
  11. Any DDR3 ram with a higher rating than 1.5v is normally high speed/performance ram over the standard PC3-6400 one's. And this higher voltage is ONLY required when the ram sticks operate at maximum Mhz.

    If your motherboard can only produce a maximum of say ~1.9v it only means that the ram wil not be able to function at full speed.

    The BIOS will detect ram timings according to what it believes to be maximum speed it can support, and adjust timings and voltages accordingly.

    Enthusiast/extreme boards are however capable of over-clocking. They support the extreme ram range with higher speeds, like XMP.


    Could you post this DDR3 2.1v Kit brand/model....
  12. You are still misleading the OP.
  13. Prove it to me then. Post the 2.1v vendor and model.
  14. CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145168
  15. jemm said:
    CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145168


    That is DDR2 ram ! :pt1cable:
  16. aneeshkumar said:
    the chipsets which are fully compatible with i5 3570K are B75, H77, Q75, Q77, Z75, Z77. Even if your given motherboard is LGA1155, it is not compatible with your i5 3570K. here is a list of processors which Z68 chipset supports


    Thats wrong turns out i had a friend who lives close by with the same cpu and mobo so we exchanged parts to see what was faulty turns out my mobo is fine and the cpu is compatible its just my cpu is dead or at least something is wrong with it
  17. where are my manners thanks to everyone whos posted but it turns out i was trying to get you guys to solve the wrong problem... thanks a bunch anyway
  18. No problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Motherboards Product