Which CDs are recommended

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 7, 2005 7:24:55 PM

Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs were
the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply

More about : cds recommended

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:24:56 PM

Ralph <Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> spewed:
> Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
> I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is,
> CDs were the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

aint no differnce in them cds. they all be the same. put them in youre
burner and save them pictures and you be good to go
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:24:56 PM

"Ralph" <Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> writes:

> Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
> I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs were
> the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

"MAM Gold" is the current incarnation of the Mitsui CDs, I'm told. I
still have a spindle and a half of the Kodak's, so I'm still using
those myself (and DVDs; CDs are so darned *small*).
July 7, 2005 7:24:56 PM

"Ralph" <Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> wrote in message
news:D aieb7$evk$1@mws-stat-syd.cdn.telstra.com.au...
> Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
> I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
> were
> the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

Personally, files have become so large, and HD storage so cheap, that I've
gone to full hard-drive back-up with tripple redundancy. I have 5 internal
drives, and several external drives that I keep off-line and at work. Then
I do large back-ups instead of a zillion CD/DVDs which have to be split,
categorized, etc. What a pain...when 250GB drives can be had for less than
$100 US!

As long as you've got redundancy, with hard drives in different locations
that are off-line and powered down, you should have long-term, stable,
reliable back-up. AND...you don't have to figure out where the heck the
right CD is...AND...you don't have to worry about dye deterioration,
scratches, warping, etc. as are real threats with CDs.

My 2 cents...
-Mark
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:24:56 PM

Ralph,
I have been using Maxell CD-R for over 6
years and the disks are still readable
in all my computers. I just started
archiving photos on them in the last 2
years and again no problems yet.

"Ralph"
<Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> wrote
in message
news:D aieb7$evk$1@mws-stat-syd.cdn.telst
ra.com.au...
> Which CDs are currently recommended
for storing photos?
> I have read at some stage that "Mitsui
process", whatever that is, CDs were
> the best. Kodak used to make them, but
no longer do so.

> --
> remove n u m b e r s to reply

July 7, 2005 7:24:56 PM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:24:55 +1000, "Ralph"
<Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> wrote:

>Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
>I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs were
>the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

It's been my experience and observation that using other than the
absolute cheapest discs will work fine *IF* you're not using the
absolute cheapest burner.
The "$25 special" burner with the "Free after rebate" or "$.03 per
disc" specials are not the most relaible long term storage choices.
They aren't priced that low fdor nothin'.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Well, Any discs that I had any problems with worked just fine if written to
at a slower speed. (Rare Occurrence at least for me only a few discs the
last 5 years)

As for being able to retrieve data from these disks at a later time have not
had any problems.

I have discs that were burned over 5 years ago and can still retrieve the
images just fine.

Just because they are free after rebate does not mean it is junk. They have
the same warranty as they would at regular prices.

Free after rebate is used to get customers into their stores to buy other
products and many times the only way to get the CD's is to arrive early
Monday morning as the stock goes fast.

They count on customers not filling out the paper work completely and send
it in on time so they end up paying full price for the products. Also at
times the Rebate checks look like junk mail and get tossed out again the
customer pays full price for the product.

I have been able to get just about every brand at one time or another free
after rebate.

photobossman

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:24:55 +1000, "Ralph"
> <Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> wrote:
>
>>Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
>>I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
>>were
>>the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.
>
> It's been my experience and observation that using other than the
> absolute cheapest discs will work fine *IF* you're not using the
> absolute cheapest burner.
> The "$25 special" burner with the "Free after rebate" or "$.03 per
> disc" specials are not the most relaible long term storage choices.
> They aren't priced that low fdor nothin'.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:28:33 AM

I would add that I always run a data check on my cds...just to be sure that
there isn't a bad spot or something else wrong

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:24:55 +1000, "Ralph"
> <Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> wrote:
>
> >Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
> >I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
were
> >the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.
>
> It's been my experience and observation that using other than the
> absolute cheapest discs will work fine *IF* you're not using the
> absolute cheapest burner.
> The "$25 special" burner with the "Free after rebate" or "$.03 per
> disc" specials are not the most relaible long term storage choices.
> They aren't priced that low fdor nothin'.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:17:23 PM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:35:56 -0700, "Photobossman"
<photobossman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well, Any discs that I had any problems with worked just fine if written to
>at a slower speed. (Rare Occurrence at least for me only a few discs the
>last 5 years)

I've heard that a lot, but it hasn't bene my experience. As is often
said, YMMV. :-)

>As for being able to retrieve data from these disks at a later time have not
>had any problems.
>
>I have discs that were burned over 5 years ago and can still retrieve the
>images just fine.

So do I; we must be doing something right!

>Just because they are free after rebate does not mean it is junk. They have
>the same warranty as they would at regular prices.

A warranty doesn't help you get data back, unfortunately.
And, let's face it, the free ones aren't going to be the better ones.
They are frequently good ones, that have been replaced by better ones,
but the buyer is frequently more motivated by price than model number,
and won't wait for the better offers, just the current ones.

>Free after rebate is used to get customers into their stores to buy other
>products and many times the only way to get the CD's is to arrive early
>Monday morning as the stock goes fast.

Well, with Fry's, it's Fridays. :-)
And their stocking is usually pretty good.
Here, CompUSA's Sunday ads often have 'free after rebates' specials,
but the stuff is often junk, simply being gotten rid of. I have to
check on the web to even find out where some of these things came
from, and what they do.

>They count on customers not filling out the paper work completely and send
>it in on time so they end up paying full price for the products. Also at
>times the Rebate checks look like junk mail and get tossed out again the
>customer pays full price for the product.

That's what I hear. But I have extremely good luck with the rebates I
go for.

>I have been able to get just about every brand at one time or another free
>after rebate.

It's not the "brand" so much as the item itself. Branding is a funny
thing; most items are branded, but made by someone you've never heard
of. The branding represents a contract, and no other connection
between the holder of the brand and the actual manufacturer.

>photobossman
>

>"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:24:55 +1000, "Ralph"
>> <Ralph.Smith2@team4.telstra6.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
>>>I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
>>>were
>>>the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.
>>
>> It's been my experience and observation that using other than the
>> absolute cheapest discs will work fine *IF* you're not using the
>> absolute cheapest burner.
>> The "$25 special" burner with the "Free after rebate" or "$.03 per
>> disc" specials are not the most relaible long term storage choices.
>> They aren't priced that low fdor nothin'.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"
>> funktionality.blogspot.com

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:35:23 AM

In article <knYCe.4152$k_.1164@trnddc07>, RSD99 <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote:
>If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the only game
>in town
>http://www.mitsuigold.com/
>
>If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive "name
>brand" will probably do.

I haven't used Mitsui, but there is a grade in between that and the
least expensive name brands.

Most of the blanks on sale are made in a few factories in China or
Taiwan. The brand name (Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim, etc.) is largely
irrelevant: all these brands get their disks from a handful of OEMs.
Even worse, the brand names freely change their OEMs. For example,
Fuji used to use Taiyo Yuden as a manufacturer, but they switched to
someone else, without warning.

Which brings me to my last point. Taiyo Yuden is one of the few OEMs
left in Japan. Their CDR blanks are better than any disks
manufactured in China or Taiwan that I know of. So I suggest that you
buy Taiyo Yuden. One can find Taiyo Yudens sold on the internet by
name.

I don't deal with DVD blanks so I'm only talking CD-R here.
--
David Arnstein
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com