Solved

$770 / PKR 70000 Gaming/ Basic WorkStation Build

Hi guys!

This is my first post at Tom's.
I am gonna buy a new system soon(most probably by the end of May). Basically I am gonna use it for gaming at 1280x1024. I know my resolution is relatively crappy but I like the details etc. at the highest. Other than that my dad is going to use this for running MATLAB, Basic ANSYS, Basic COMSOL, Mathematica + I am going to learn 3DS Max, Photoshop, Inkscape etc.

My current build is a Pentium 4 with 1 gig of Memory, A GeForce MX4000 from prehistoric times and an ASUS P4S800-DX

Approximate Purchase Date: Last week of May

Budget Range: $ 770/ PKR 70000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Basic MATLAB, Basic Mathematica, ANSYS, 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop, Inkscape and the like

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: galaxy.pk, czone.com.pk

Country: Pakistan

Parts Preferences: nVidia GPU - Intel Proc -ASUS Mobo

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments:

Look, I am still stuck whether I should buy a Graphics Card now or skip it and buy a HAF 912 with a CoolerMaster M600 Silent Pro PSU instead of a CM Elite 371 with eXtreme Power Plus 550W

I have heard that the GPGPU performance of the Kepler architecture is completely crippled. Since I am going to utilize CUDA for GPGPU in Matlab using Jacket, should I wait for the Kepler series to come out or should i be content with a GTX 550Ti (that's the max i can afford). I can't buy AMD/ATi 'cause my Dad will be needing the extra performance that CUDA offers.

The Parts I have selected are:-

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz K edition Unlocked: PKR 20000
http://galaxy.pk/form015.html [sorry guys, no direct links. :( ]

ASUS P8Z77-V LE: PKR 13000 (Expected Price)
http://galaxy.pk/form016.html

Corsair ValueSelect 4GB x4 : PKR 8200
http://galaxy.pk/form023.html

Seagate® Barracuda™ 1TB SATA II (3Gb/s): PKR 10200
http://galaxy.pk/form018.htm

CM HAF 912 PKR 8500
http://galaxy.pk/form017.html

CoolerMaster Silent Pro M600 PKR 8400
http://galaxy.pk/form031.htm

CoolerMaster® V6GT™ CPU Cooler PKR 4800
http://galaxy.pk/form044.html

Cooler Master Silent Fan x 3 PKR 1740
http://galaxy.pk/form044.html

Subtotal - 5000 for my old PC = PKR 69640




Thanks in Advance for helping!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 70000 gaming basic workstation build
  1. Normally I'd say avoid Cooler Master PSUs but it doesn't look like you have much of a choice. From what's available - the Antec will be far better.

    For CPU cooler get a Hyper 212 Evo.

    Then increase your RAM to 8GB if your budget allows for it and you're good to go.

    Do you plan on getting a GPU or do you plan on using onboard video and getting a GPU later on?
  2. hmmmm.....
    I will have to see about the Antec.

    Ok I am all set for the 212 EVO.
    And for RAM , you probably did NOT see that I wrote "4GB x 4". I am not gonna go anywhere with 8GB of it 'cause it's so cheap. :P

    GPU I will have to buy later on if i want to go with a good case and Power Supply. If I want to buy it now I can only get an ASUS GTX 550 Ti for PKR 13500
    http://www.czone.com.pk/graphic-cards-nvidia-geforce-asus-gtx550-ti-1gb-gddr5-192bit-graphic-card-pakistan-p.1010.aspx

    Now I have read some reviews and benchmarks on Tom's which showed that the GPGPU performance on the Kepler architecture has been crippled by the nVidia. Since I need the GPGPU performance for MATLAB , I don't really have a choice. I know that the 550 Ti is freakin' overpriced and stuff, but, ultimately I have to get the best outta my dough. Can't go for the GTX 560 non Ti as apparently those idiots at Galaxy only have the EVGA DS version clocked at 951 Mhz and priced at PKR 23000/ ~$250.

    Even if i go for the GTX 550 Ti , I will have to swap the HAF and the Silent PRO for an Elite 371 with one of those eXtreme Power Plus 550W unit.

    Somene help or I am gonna GO MAD!! :-/

    I need you guys's help
  3. Best answer
    Quote:
    And for RAM , you probably did NOT see that I wrote "4GB x 4". I am not gonna go anywhere with 8GB of it 'cause it's so cheap. :P


    Cheap but not necessary if it's a strictly gaming build - you'll never use all of it.

    Quote:
    GPU I will have to buy later on if i want to go with a good case and Power Supply. If I want to buy it now I can only get an ASUS GTX 560 Ti for PKR 13500


    The 560TI is a good choice if you can't get a Radeon 7850.

    Quote:
    Now I have read some reviews and benchmarks on Tom's which showed that the GPGPU performance on the Kepler architecture has been crippled by the nVidia. Since I need the GPGPU performance for MATLAB , I don't really have a choice. I know that the 550 Ti is freakin' overpriced and stuff, but, ultimately I have to get the best outta my dough. Can't go for the GTX 560 non Ti as apparently those idiots at Galaxy only have the EVGA DS version clocked at 951 Mhz and priced at PKR 23000/ ~$250.


    Right now I don't know of any plans NVIDIA has to release a Keppler GPU in the ~$250 range, the 660TI is supposed to be released in the $300 range to compete with the Radeon 7870.

    Quote:
    Even if i go for the GTX 550 Ti , I will have to swap the HAF and the Silent PRO for an Elite 371 with one of those eXtreme Power Plus 550W unit.


    Yeah the problem is the limited inventory makes it difficult to suggest good parts. The 550TI is decent, the 6870 is better.
  4. Quote:
    GPU I will have to buy later on if i want to go with a good case and Power Supply. If I want to buy it now I can only get an ASUS GTX 560 Ti for PKR 13500.........


    F***! That was supposed to be the 550 Ti :pfff:
    The 560 non-ti is 23000 bucks here. :ouch:
  5. Should I go with an i3 2120 and a 560 Ti?
  6. ahmadu007 said:
    Should I go with an i3 2120 and a 560 Ti?


    That's a good combo - you could also go with an i5-2400 and a 6870 - that will give you an easy multiple monitor setup and a true quad core CPU.

    Quote:
    and what about this?

    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquire [...] pu-compute


    That's a pretty ridiculous comparison - the 680 was never meant to compete with the 7870, that's like putting a high end Corvette against a Bugatti Veyron. :lol:
  7. With the Bugatti Veyron missing on the fuel effeciency, eh? ;)
  8. Best answer selected by ahmadu007.
  9. ahmadu007 said:
    With the Bugatti Veyron missing on the fuel effeciency, eh? ;)


    True but if you have $2 million to spend on a car chances are good you're probably not worried about the cost of gas. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Basic Systems