Explorer freezing on start-up.

hardwarenoob_92

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello,

Whenever I start up my computer, explorer seems to freeze up and I am unable to select anything. The mouse cursor moves fine, and I can highlight over the start button and the icons in "Rocketdock", but I am unable to click anything. The only way to solve this issue is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and cancel (I do not have to go to task manager and/or end processes. I just have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and go back to the desktop).

I've recently installed new hardware, done a fresh install of Windows 7, and have done chkdsk; these did not fix the issue.

aion_w

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
How does your HDD run? Does the light flash every 1-2 sec like some sort of signal? or does it stay on?

Edit: If it does flash like some sort of signal then It might be your HDD (hard disk drive) I have the exact problem sometimes with my current HDD but lazy to change another one since my Entire OS is on it, Why I know? I have change my processor, upgraded ram, GPU, same mobo and same HDD. So its either my mobo or HDD I guess...more likely my HDD cause after the start up it freeze for a while them everything runs back normal, this only occur sometimes.

hardwarenoob_92

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
It flashes, but that's as the computer is still loading so as far as I'm aware that's perfectly normal.

I have noticed today that there's two instances of explorer.exe running in as a process, but whether or not that's anything significant I don't know.