Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 4870x2 Restarting pc when loading games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2012 12:44:04 AM

Hey! i just recently brought my self a radeon 4870x2 and a new 750w psu and 4gb ram.
Everything seems fine with the card. But when i load up games like Diablo III and others my computer restarts it's self after loading it for 10 secs maybe a little longer! I've checked the GPU temp thats fine. When i reboot i get an error message. Is there anyone out there that can help me with the issue? Heres the error message...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80064F4010
BCP2: FFFFF88004635958
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC0000001
BCP4: 0000000000000003
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\031312-17062-01.dmp
C:\Users\Gaming\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-114593-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0...

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
March 14, 2012 1:00:51 AM

have you updated your Graphics drivers? Also, since this is a new build, have you completed all windows updates? Could also be a memory problem. Have you run Memtest? you should run several passes of this free program and report back if there are any errors.
March 14, 2012 1:26:19 AM

I have seen some issues with this driver version and crossfire setups here on tom's, mostly with 6850 x2 and 6870x2, but it's worth a shot to try an older version of the driver. Also, have you monitored your cpu temps?
Related resources
March 14, 2012 2:24:04 AM

^+1
If up dating doesn't do the trick then you will have to use a driver sweeper and clean out all the old and new drivers then reinstall the new drivers but do a clean install.

When you install the drivers you will have a choice of custom or recomended choose custom and then clean install. Let us know if it works or not? Here is a link to a driver sweeper.

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
March 14, 2012 3:25:37 AM

Yeah i've done loads of clean installs with driver sweeper. Tried all sorts of cata driver versions like 12.2, 12.1, 11.11, 10.1 & even 8.10 lol... Also done mem tests with no errors etc. Even checked the GPU & CPU temps. What i do find odd thou is that i can play Diablo III or Path of Exile in full screen window mode and they run fine. But the moment i tried to change to full screen black screen! The pc will restart it's self if im useing an up to date driver like 12.2 etc. If i use like 11.10 or something like that i will just get black screen in game and pc locks up forceing you to hit the reset button..... :(  Could this be the 750w psu? Card obvly seems to work if u can play in window mode and the 4gb ram seems fine confused.com! Lol :( 
March 14, 2012 6:23:18 AM

This next topics has been merged by Pyree
  • Radeon 4870x2 Restarting pc when loading games
    March 14, 2012 1:35:16 PM

Meh this sucks! Dont have a clue what the problem could be! :( 
    March 16, 2012 1:24:21 PM

For what it's worth, I've had my 4870x2 since September '08 (about 3.5 years ago). It's been a good card, for the most part, I certainly have got my money's worth out of it. There have been driver issues but AMD is usually good with resolving those (especially for popular games) fairly quickly.

However, the problem you are describing with Windowed-mode working flawlessly and full-screen mode causing a full system reboot, I have been experiencing for over a year. My "solution"? Run everything in Windowed mode. I spent months trying to find out what the problem was, never could. If you ever figure it out, be sure to let me know, FPS is almost always better in full-screen than Windowed.

It's been a long time since I attempted a driver-sweep and reinstallation, that's pretty much all one can do I believe.

Sorry to not be able to add anything of substance, just wanted you to know that it isn't just you.
    March 16, 2012 7:36:42 PM

juicy8 said:
    For what it's worth, I've had my 4870x2 since September '08 (about 3.5 years ago). It's been a good card, for the most part, I certainly have got my money's worth out of it. There have been driver issues but AMD is usually good with resolving those (especially for popular games) fairly quickly.

However, the problem you are describing with Windowed-mode working flawlessly and full-screen mode causing a full system reboot, I have been experiencing for over a year. My "solution"? Run everything in Windowed mode. I spent months trying to find out what the problem was, never could. If you ever figure it out, be sure to let me know, FPS is almost always better in full-screen than Windowed.

It's been a long time since I attempted a driver-sweep and reinstallation, that's pretty much all one can do I believe.

Sorry to not be able to add anything of substance, just wanted you to know that it isn't just you.

Thanks for the reply juicy8! Can you tell what your pc specs are please?! Yeah it kinda sucks they havnt fixed this issue yet! :(  If anyone knows of a solution please let us know!
    March 17, 2012 1:00:25 AM

Gigabyte EP45T-EXTREME w/ Intel Q6600 @ 2.4, Kingston HyperX 4gb DDR3 @ 1066, Sapphire 4870x2 1gb DDR5, Windows 7 x64

I haven't really played many video games on it recently, however I noticed yesterday after checking again (in preparation for Diablo 3!) that it's idling at 88 celcius. So I'm going to re-seat the sinks and apply new thermal paste in the next couple of days, then attempt a fresh driver installation.

One thing worth doing is DISABLING Catalyst AI in the Control Centre; this "trick" has been around for a while with these cards, often solves a lot of problems. If you haven't tried that yet, I suggest it.

If you're going to try a clean driver install, I recommend the Guru3D Driver Sweeper.

Good luck :)  I'll let you know if I make any progress over the next few days. The last video game I tried to run in full-screen before an immediate system reboot was Portal 2, about a year ago.
    March 18, 2012 8:30:00 PM

Bump topic...
    September 4, 2012 12:26:13 PM

Hi. I just had to join the forum to cry with you guys :(  :D 
    I am having the same problem!!
    What my conclusions are.... The card is broken!! :( 
    Facts are:
    When you disable AI then you are disabling one of the GPUs!
    When you run in windowed mode you are disabling one of the GPUs!
    And games that only run with one GPU might not reboot the PC.
    You can double check this with MSI afterburner!

What works for me is preconfigure a game exe with CCC disabling CFX mode and save it to the game exe.
    The game will then make full use of one GPU.

One GPU can be damaged and/or the bridge between them could be damaged!
    I hope that we can figure something out to sort out these cards but thus far I think the oven is the best option!

Updating my post a year later, hope it helps others.
    I fixed my problem by changing the power supply from 730W raidmax to a 535W Supperchannel.
    The raidmax was not good enough. And the Superchannel better quality did the job.
    !