rabidocelot

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I guess I will start out with my specs -

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
8 gigs of ram
Looking to buy a MSI 660ti
i5 Ivy Bridge

I was wondering what a good PSU would be for my setup so I can get the most effective power usage, but I also need help with which brands are better and which ones to stay away from. I was thinking of possibly getting a PSU in the range of 800-850w but I am not sure if that is a little overkill for what I am running. Thanks

That's actually quite a bit of overkill for your build. Without the desire to SLI in the future a 500W should easily cover you, if wanting to SLI 650-750 should do the trick. You can look at various power calculators on line - some will show you your max current draw, some will give you PSU advice, they will be different numbers. Here's why, you really don't want to use a PSU at maximum draw, efficiency goes downhill and heat increases. You should be shooting to have your maximum draw (I'd estimate offhand as near 375W) in the 50-75% range of the PSU's max output for efficiency and it will run cooler so it will last longer.
Antec, SeaSonic, XFX, Corsair are reputable brands

rabidocelot

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I guess the only reason I was trying to shoot so far over is that I heard that a more powerful PSU on a system that doesn't need as much power would make it run quieter and cooler. I didn't actually have any idea of numbers to shoot for which is why I came to you guys for advice. I don't actually have any plans for SLI right now but maybe having the option wouldn't be the worst idea if I don't go too crazy.