560ti 2gb too much just right? Opinions and Alternatives

Ankh16

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP (but willing to wait to see if kepler drops prices)

BUDGET: approx $250 (after rebate is fine)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (no really specific games as I have a large variety I want to play including things from BF3 to SW:TOR to SC2)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: This is my first build so I have no current GPU, power supply will be an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: planning to go with:

CPU: i5-2500k

MOBO: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68

RAM: Crucial Ballistix BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S0 Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.5V, CL9, Non-ECC, Unbuffered

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: tigerdirect.ca, living in Canada

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe in future as necessary
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Most likely in future when necessary

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366 x 768 (720p 26" LCD Insigna flatscreen tv)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Basically I've definitely done some research but I'm still confused with some things and what would be best for me.

First off I should mention that while I do eventually hope to get a 1080p monitor or tv for gaming, that probably won't happen for at least a year, more likely 2.

So I've been looking mostly at the MSI GTX 560ti twin frozr ii 2 gb OC and I'd like some opinions on that given my set up. I want to be able to game at high graphics for hopefully the next 2 (maybe even 3 if I drop down to medium graphics) years before having to SLI or upgrade (max graphics for current games would be awesome but probably unrealistic).

Ok I'm just going to list some questions I have as well:

Better card I should be looking at?

Is the 2gb version too much Vram? I know some games like BF3 on ultra can consume 1.5gb and I thought it'd be future proofing if I got the 2gb version for SLI down the road or just as more Vram instensive games come out.

Would it be a better idea/more cost effective to just get the 1gb version and then in 1-2 years if I get a new monitor upgrade my video card from there rather then SLI?

What kind of graphics settings will I be looking at?

What kind of FPS will I be looking at?

Thats all I can really think of right now, I'll probably have a few more questions as people pop in with opinions/answers thanks for taking the time to look over this it's very much appreciated as I want to get my first build done right.

DM186

Splendid

Ok the 2GB of Vram is good for res's over 1920 x 1200 and more than one monitor plus you are right on BF3. I would get it. You have your pros and cons on SLI. I like it because it speeds a lot of things up and one card isn't over working

You would be getting 40 to 60fps in most of your games. your graphic settings will be what ever the OC'ing set them to be or you us a program to OC them your self. There is always a better card to be looking at.

Back to the Vram If BF3 uses 1.5 Vram what are the newer games that will be coming out be using? Anyway I hope this helps a little and Good luck on your rig.

thenewlexicon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Personally, i think you should wait just a bit if you can. The 560ti is a great card for the $$$ but can be a bit of a power hog. If you do try to SLI it with a second card later you will need quite the power supply(750W plus). I have that same mobo and it is not the roomiest one out there(make sure your RAM is low profile as well). From what I have read the 7850 or a Kepler based Nvidia will use less power and will probably deliver more FPS than a 560ti after getting out of its infacy drivers.

2GB of VRAM is overkill a bit for now unless you are looking at multi monitors or resolutions past 1920 x 1280 but it seems one can never really have too much Vram though can they? At least with the extra memory you should be (in theory anyway) giving your self more options for the future. The price difference between the 1GB and 2 GB card is not that much in the grand scheme of things if your heart is set on the 560ti but ultimately, I think the wisest move right now is to wait (or a 6950 2 gb if you can fine one, or two?!)

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Screenshotat2012-03-13130354-4-1.jpg

Screenshotat2012-03-13132216-1-1.png

Screenshotat2012-03-13132236-1.png

Screenshotat2012-03-13135433-1-1.png

Ankh16

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hey everybody thanks for all the answers, it's looking like waiting for the 7850c(provided it is actually priced at $250) is going to be my best bet for good performance while staying in my budget, it seems to perform better then the 560ti and be priced the same. Would there be any benefit for waiting until kepler (as in would 7850 prices potentially drop?) as it seems they will be releasing the 680 first for a substantial amount over my price range and won't be releasing anything cheaper for some time.

As a side note newlexicon how do I tell if ram is low profile? just the pin number? I looked around and found out that low profile refers to the size but I don't actually know how to tell if it's low profile.

thenewlexicon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I was referring to the height of the RAM sticks you are buying. I could not use the CPU cooler I wanted in my rig because the CPU and RAM Dimms are very close together on that motherboard, Because i bought RAM with tall heat spreaders on them. I did not want to sacrifice 2 RAM slots(8GB) for cooling ao I ended up using a liquid cooler which is good, but a bit louder.

silly mistake on my part, but if it helps someone else maybe i can feel better about it??