Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stuttering Gameplay with High FPS in Multiple Games

Last response: in Components
September 3, 2012 10:10:47 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on toms. I use your threads a lot to help me with my issues and you guys are amazing. However, I haven't been able to find a solution for my current problem.

I have been experiencing some frustrating issues with my custom PC. First, the specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.30 GHz, 6MB Cache, LGA1155, 95W
GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
PSU: Corsair CX600 (600W)
RAM: 4x2048mb DDR3
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green

The OS and Games are on the SSD and all my media etc is stored on the HDD.

I built this PC last February and it has been working like a charm up until 3 weeks ago. Now I can't even enjoy my games on it any more.

The main games I play are The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, World of Warcraft, and Minecraft.

What happens with all of them is that they run like a dream (Skyrim on High, WoW on Ultra, and Minecraft on Fancy/Far Draw Distance) for about 60 seconds. Then Skyrim's FPS drops to below 10, and WoW's FPS drops below 20. The curious thing with Minecraft is that the FPS stays above 80 but there is a weird stuttering. The best way I can describe it is that the FPS is smooth except for millisecond-long hang ups every second or so.

Skyrim is too high quality in that no matter what setting I put in on, the FPS is below 10 and unplayable. However, with WoW, I can set the quality to Low and the FPS stays around 60. However, I then get the same stuttering I get with Minecraft.

Temperatures:
CPU-Idle: 30C
CPU-Load: 50-60C

GPU-Idle: 40C
GPU-Load:100C (And it SHOOTS straight to 100C when I launch a game. According to HWMonitor)

One more weird thing. I found something that affects my issue. When Minecraft and WoW are on low settings, I get high FPS but stuttering. However, when I change the Affinity of the processes for the games, the stuttering goes away but the FPS drops a bit. This is currently the only way I can play the games now. I change the affinity to only use one processor.

Hopefully I have given enough info. Thanks for your help in advance.

--EDIT--
I put this in PSU section because I read that it might have something to do with the PSU not providing consistent voltages.
a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 1:33:52 AM

I would get at least one more program to check the temperature. Can you see at all if the GPU fan is running? It could be that the fan has died.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 1:35:37 AM

Can you still hear the fan spool up like it always has?

Have you checked for dust/buildup in the fins of the GPU heatsink and fan?
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 1:49:57 AM

I have dusted the entire card with compressed air. It seems pretty clean. Afterburner also shows the temperature sky rocket when starting a game. Also, the fans are both spinning.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2012 2:21:08 AM

Maybe the heatsink is no longer making good contact with the components it's supposed to pull heat away from.

If your card is still under warranty, you might consider sending it in.

If it's out of warranty, consider removing and reinstalling the heatsink. (with new thermal paste)

I'm also curious what the symptoms would be if there was a problem with the supplied power. (PSU/connector problem)

Car audio amplifiers can overheat quickly when fed too little voltage and/or have bad power or ground connections. I have never encountered such an issue with a GPU. A voltage drop to the processor would probably just cause stability issues, but a voltage drop to the on-card power supply may responded similarly.

September 4, 2012 5:01:55 PM

I went back to the computer store I bought all my components from the guy I originally bought the parts from was there (I think he owns the place) and he suggested I RMA the card to MSI. He also sold me an older Zotac GTX260 for $20. I have the next two weeks off before I start my full-time job and I'm desperate to get some gaming done in that time.

So the new (old) card works great! In fact, the MSI GTX 560 Ti must have had bad fans or thermal paste because my computer was never really throwing any hot air out. With this GTX260 a lot more warm air is being shot out the back and side of my case when I'm gaming and the temperature doesn't get over 70C compared to the 100C on the 560.

Anywho, thanks for your suggestions. Turns out it was the graphics card.
m
l
September 4, 2012 5:02:25 PM

Best answer selected by jbordeleau.
m
l
!