ginjaninja

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I used a dynamax active dp to dvi adapter first and it worked for a day or so so I returned it and replaced it with a sapphire one, it arrived today but it's still being strange. the light on the monitor will turn blue to indicate that it's getting a signal but the screen is just blank. I've tried all 3 monitors and every time I do it's the monitor plugged into the adaptor that won't work. I've also tried both mini display ports on the back of the card to no success. also tried catalyst 12.1 and 12.2. I can't figure it out. the only way to get any life out of the third monitor is to turn the resolutions on all 3 monitors way down to ridiculous resolutions. what's got me is the box says it supports eyefinity at 1080p but then it doesn't work... If I'm doing something wrong that's fine but I just want to get this solved.
I'm using viewsonic vx2433 monitors if it makes a difference...

afterthought... the adaptor I have doesn't have a usb plug on the side of it, could this be the problem?

phait103

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I had a somewhat similar problem...
I used a $25 "active" displayport to dvi adapter that had no USB power and my computer would act like i was plugging in and unplugging the monitor. figured out that my power supply was insufficient.
that might be your problem but i'm no expert.
what power supply do you use?

ginjaninja

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

corsair tx650w.
The most current I've ever drawn was 540w at the wall including 3 monitors and it's sitting at 270/280 now and about 200 with the screens turned off so I don't think it's overloading the power supply.

what eventually solved the problem for you? new power supply or adapter?

phait103

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
i ended up buying a new power supply and also switched to a vga adapter, either one of these fixed my problem but not sure which one. your power supply sounds good enough so you might have a bad adapter by chance