Sign in with
Your question

A Problem With My Build Which I Made 2 days ago

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2012 6:40:36 PM

Hi,
I Build A System 2 days ago and everything was running fine, But the problem is that i can hear a electric buzz every 50-60 seconds, it is not very loud and you can barely hear it, and today twice it shut down on its own but i dont know if it was shut down or not because my fan lights and the fan was on but my monitor went as if nothing was connected. What Could be the problem? i am very tensed as this is my first build :( 

My Specs Are,
i7 2600k, Stock Cooler
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
Gigabyte Superb 720W
16GB Kingston Ram
Z77x - D3H
HAF 912 Advanced
500GB HDD

More about : problem build made days ago

May 16, 2012 7:51:08 PM

My Core temps are -
Core 0 - Min -43 , Max -51
Core 1 - Min -42 , Max -49
Core 2 - Min -41 , Max -50
Core 3 - Min -46 , Max -55

And This Is When I Am Just Browsing and downloading things off the net,
Please help me guys :( 
m
l
May 16, 2012 7:57:42 PM

It is your power supply return that one, get a good brand, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX (which is made by Seasonic). Gigabyte power supplies are no name brands.

Also Your temps are fine, If you want them a bit cooler I would suggest getting a aftermarket CPU cooler like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that should lower your temps nicely, get some good thermal compound too Artic silver 5 is good
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 7:58:40 PM

Well the core temps seem a bit high, but not sure that is your issue. I suspect that your PSU might be involved with your issues.

* Do you have another PSU to check to see if it a possible issue?

It looks like your PSU is only has a warranty of 1 year, which tells me that the makeup of the PSU is probably on the cheaper side of things (most quality PSU's have a warranty of 3-5 years). I'm not saying your PSU is the problem, but it would be something I'd check first.
m
l
May 16, 2012 8:00:35 PM

Can you use a paper towel tube to locate the device which the noise is coming from?
m
l
May 16, 2012 8:10:57 PM

Thanks For the reply guys,
But i dont think they will take the PSU back, Because i dont have the Plastic packing the psu came in, i just have the box and the manual :( 
I will try going to him tomorrow :|

bkoop, I will try doing that and i will tell you in 5 mins.
m
l
May 16, 2012 8:16:00 PM

It sounds like it may be a power supply issue. The CPU temps are fine and about what they should be with the stock cooler.

From what I found from the PSU it only has 18amps per 12V rail, with 504W total through the 12V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seems the recommended for that video card is
Radeon HD 6950 - 30A and a 500W PSU minimum

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requi...

A few ways to test if this is the problem would be to try a lower powered video card with the system or higher powered power supply and see if either of those gives you a stable system.

Also putting more stress on the system by loading a game that uses the video card heavily should cause it to shut down much quicker
m
l
May 16, 2012 8:19:01 PM

It could be your PSU or simply one of your fans slighly misaligned and resonating, causing vibration in the case. If you can't trace the source to the PSU, try unplugging the fans one by one.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 8:23:21 PM

also use program like hardware monitor to check the ps output and then load the pc with prime95 that load the cpu and not the gpu and see if it locks up or crashes. I would also check that you dont have a wire in your fan or one that may get sucked in when turned on.
m
l
May 16, 2012 8:30:44 PM

Guys Its Definitely A problem with my psu, i just opened my case to check where the sound is coming from, and when i went close to the back where the main socket is, there is a continuous buzzing coming from it and then every 40 seconds there is a loud buzz.. and then when i was screwing the panel back just now i got a vibrate/shock on my fingers when i was screwing it in, i get it whenever i touch anywhere on the back of the case,...... is all this normal?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 8:35:31 PM

your psu is bad. you should never mess with a psu with the power plugged in...
m
l
May 16, 2012 8:36:37 PM

Yeah My Bad, But I had to check where the sound is coming from. :|
m
l
May 17, 2012 1:03:47 PM

As i didn't have a choice i bought a cooler master GX 650W psu and a Corsair H80 cooler
Should i open it and install this or give it back?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2012 6:35:48 PM

go for it.
m
l
May 17, 2012 6:58:31 PM

Gaah, I installed it, i think psu works ok, But the H80 dose not fit well in my case, I cant close the front panel now :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 17, 2012 9:37:48 PM

your haf 912 has many places for fans and radiators. If i were you i would change the fan in the front panel back to an intake and use the H80 radiator and fan in the rear panel slot to exhaust.
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:44:03 AM

Can you explain that position in detail, i am getting confused :|
But guess what, The Buzzing sound comes again from the psu and when my pc is shut down and i switch on my power, my mouse light turns up even if the PC is shut down, but my PC is stable, I think. I did the torture test for 6 hours with no error and the max temp was 58 celsius.
What could this sound be? did i assemble it wrong?

And i overclocked it to 4.58 Ghz using the ET6 and My Vcore is 1.392V! :|
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:06:10 PM

anyone?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2012 7:40:08 PM

Vudako said:
Can you explain that position in detail, i am getting confused :|
But guess what, The Buzzing sound comes again from the psu and when my pc is shut down and i switch on my power, my mouse light turns up even if the PC is shut down, but my PC is stable, I think. I did the torture test for 6 hours with no error and the max temp was 58 celsius.
What could this sound be? did i assemble it wrong?

And i overclocked it to 4.58 Ghz using the ET6 and My Vcore is 1.392V! :|

The HAF 912 has an intake in the front panel and an exhaust fan in the rear panel. You mentioned that your H80 will not allow your front panel to fully close, which suggests to me that you have installed your h80 to the front panel with both the radiator and the fan. Is this correct? If that is the case, you are venting the cpu heat into your case, which isn't necessarily a good thing. You should put the front fan as an intake fan only. Then you should put the H80 radiator fan in the back of the case exhausting out. That is a decent overclock.

The buzzing sound you are hearing is likely coil whine, which is normal and it happens. Is this the same sound you were hearing before? If so, i may have led you astray by telling you to purchase a new psu. Have you had any random shutdowns since the installation of the new parts?
m
l
May 19, 2012 6:59:13 AM

No, I Installed The H80 In the back where the exhaust was, I had to install the radiator sideways because the fan on top was blocking the radiator.

Yes I think it is the same sound, but it has decreased now. No Random Shut Downs Till Now, Only Today when i Powered My PC, It Got Stuck On The Gigabyte Flash Screen, the one which flashes for 1 sec.
And yesterday when i overclocked to 4.5 ghz and restarted. I got a boot failure :( 
m
l
May 19, 2012 12:54:06 PM

guess i will just show it to the technician or something.
m
l
!