maxjusttyped

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hello, my computer seems to be running fine, but the fan keeps surging every few seconds. Also, the light on my computer flashes on then off, but nothing happens. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
By fan surging I would suspect the CPU fan is spinning faster to cool the CPU down if it is being used. I'm not sure what light your referring to but is it the activity light on the front of the computer that flashes to signal activity?

maxjusttyped

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

As you can see, I'm not the most technologically savy person. But the light I'm referring to is the activity light/button I press to turn on the computer.

maxjusttyped

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Do you have any idea why the fan would be surging? The computer isn't overused, and the only thing I currently have open is Firefox. This is perplexing to say the least.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
The CPU fan comes on when the computer is started and will sporadically increase in speed to cool the CPU to some preset setting, it's normal if it does that and abnormal if it doesn't so I wouldn't worry about it. Basically anything can cause an increase in CPU processing power

InvalidError

Titan

If there is poor contact between the HSF and CPU, the CPU will almost instantaneously heat up even under mild load and the fan controller will respond by increasing the fan speed. Once it goes back to idle, it almost instantaneously cools down and the fan controller slows the fan down. Rinse and repeat.

When the HSF is making good contact with the CPU, the warm up has a much gentler slope, the fan speed ramps much more slowly and the resulting noise is far less annoying.