Windows Explorer Folder Details

December 26, 2004 3:15:49 PM

Sharon F Wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:41:26 +0000, hotkee wrote:
> -
> This behaviour started after SP2 was applied.
>
> I have XP Pro + SP2 + firewall etc, Indeo codecs
>
> Problem is with Windows Explorer folder view.
>
> I use the "Details" view so that I see Name, Size, Time, Type, Date
> Modified.
>
> Once every session until I go to Folder-Apply to All Folders, this
> view setting changes.
>
> It changes when I navigate to a folder containing multimedia items
> such
> as MP3s or .gif files. Then the view changes to show extra details
> "Date
> Picture Taken", "Dimension".
>
> And at this point I am mad and have to repeat "Apply to All Folders".
>
> I have read that it may be some setting on the MFT or something, but
> nothing has helped so far, other than changing to a difference file
> manager.-
>
> It sounds like your multimedia files are stored in customized folders.
> These folders use templates (the templates are specific settings stored
> in
> that folder's desktop.ini file) to create the display of the folder
> items.
> If you right click any folder (except system folders) and choose
> Properties, you'll see a "Customize" page that lists the various
> templates
> available. Don't select anything here or select Documents if you want
> no
> embellishments in the display of the folder.
>
> You could create a new folder for these multimedia items and move them
> into
> it. Or another possible way around this is using Folder Options View.
> Check the box to "remember each folder's view settings." I use this
> setting. It will remember whatever view preference you used last in a
> folder and if it's a customized folder it allows that setting to
> override
> the customizations.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Seems to explain the issue, thanks. I will give it a shot but I was
reluctant to use "remember each folder's view settings" hoping that
"Apply to all folders" should work forever.

--
hotkee
Anonymous

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:15:49 +0000, hotkee wrote:

> Seems to explain the issue, thanks. I will give it a shot but I was
> reluctant to use "remember each folder's view settings" hoping that
> "Apply to all folders" should work forever.

You're welcome. About "Apply to all Folders": When you click that button
there's a small blurb about it being applied to all folders except those
with customized settings. That little caveat is what's changing the view
that you're expecting to see and why you need to get creative to accomplish
the preferred views that you want in your multimedia folders.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I am very conserned about being ale to clear all index file and copies of
all stored files.
Under WIN98 one could get rid of all those file.
Can it be done in XP ?
December 27, 2004 2:35:09 PM

Try Index.dat Suite:

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Home