Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thoughts on this budget gaming build?

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2012 7:24:40 PM

I'm fairly new to this whole computer building thing, but I realize its definitely the way to go. I want to build a decent gaming machine so I did some research and picked out this build and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could look over each part for me to confirm that everything is compatible and that I'm really getting the most bang for my buck.

Budget range: up to 800 dollars, minus 100 for an OS

Approximate Purchase date: Not entirely sure yet. Still want to do more research and practice taking apart and putting together an old desktop first.

System usage: Gaming

Parts not required: monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred website: newegg, although I may use tigerdirect or nci or amazon, depending on where I can get them cheapest.

Overclocking: Maybe but probably not, as I don't know how and I'm not a hardcore gamer anyways.

Sli or Crossfire: Maybe in the distant future, but not anytime soon.

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional comments: As I said, I need an OS, so that uses up 100 of my 800 dollars.

Here's the link to my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8lnO
a b 4 Gaming
May 16, 2012 7:38:38 PM

I think you should tell us what you are using it for so we can give an informed opinion .

It really does help if you use the format suggested in the thread about how to ask for advice at the top of the forum
May 16, 2012 7:51:38 PM

Outlander_04 said:
I think you should tell us what you are using it for so we can give an informed opinion .

It really does help if you use the format suggested in the thread about how to ask for advice at the top of the forum

Okay, sorry about that. Its fixed now :) 
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 16, 2012 8:01:58 PM

It is a decent build . But it is a little focused on processor power rather than graphics card which is going to determine image quality and frame rates in games .

Im about to head for work and dont have time to check prices but in general

ntel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) will have the same performance as the 2500K , cant be overclocked , but will probably save you $20

You can use 2 x2 gig of RAM and game performance wont be affected .

The Corsair case is personal taste , but it is expensive . Check the Antec 300 two , or HAF 912 pro and save another $20 or so

Drop the power supply to a 500 watt 80+ bronze rated unit

and those savings will probably mean you can afford a Radeon 7850 . That will be a huge gaming boost over the GTX 560

Best solution

May 16, 2012 8:47:30 PM

Consider http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... for a graphics card, it's only $10 more right now and a much better card than the 560.
May 17, 2012 12:38:04 AM

Outlander_04 said:
It is a decent build . But it is a little focused on processor power rather than graphics card which is going to determine image quality and frame rates in games .

Im about to head for work and dont have time to check prices but in general

ntel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) will have the same performance as the 2500K , cant be overclocked , but will probably save you $20

You can use 2 x2 gig of RAM and game performance wont be affected .

The Corsair case is personal taste , but it is expensive . Check the Antec 300 two , or HAF 912 pro and save another $20 or so

Drop the power supply to a 500 watt 80+ bronze rated unit

and those savings will probably mean you can afford a Radeon 7850 . That will be a huge gaming boost over the GTX 560

Ok thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to drop below 8 gb RAM though, because I intend to stream games and play music and basically do a lot of multitasking. But I'll look into a cheaper case and I found a slightly cheaper psu (only by 10 bucks, though) will this one do?
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/raidmax-power-supply-rx530...

Also, if I go with the ivy bridge cpu, will I need a different motherboard, or will the one I have listed be fine?
a b 4 Gaming
May 17, 2012 4:23:22 AM

The raidmax psu is poor quality . Only consider psu's with an 80+ bronze [ or better ] rating
Ive just realized I read the original price of your parts and not the discounted final price . Your psu and even the case make more sense now

Definitely go with Kelthics reccomendation for the 560 ti graphics card / Its a big step up for an extra $10

Your motherboard will be fine
May 17, 2012 11:15:06 AM

Best answer selected by TheScarecrow97.
!