Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from an 8400GS, on a tight budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2012 11:38:44 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: in 2 weeks BUDGET RANGE: Php3000 or lower (don't worry about conversion)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Minecraft, BOINC (Seti@home to be precise), maybe rendering

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Sparkle Nvidia 8400GS 512mb and a 500w PSU (generic)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i3 3.1GHz processor, 2x 4GB DDR3 ram, AsRock H61M-VS B3 mobo

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.pcx.com.ph/index.php/components/graphic-card...

PARTS PREFERENCES: (e.g., if you will only use ATI cards, want PhysX card, prefer XFX cards over Sapphire cards, etc., tell us)

OVERCLOCKING: not likely SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366x768

I have 5 video cards to choose from, and that is what I need help on. Links:
Gigabyte GT430 1GB
Inno3D GT440 512MB
Gigabyte GT220 1GB
Inno3D GTS520 1GB
MSI N430GT 2GB

I ran some tests using GPU-Z and found out that MC is very GPU heavy. The moment the launcher launches it the load skyrockets from 0% to 99%.

I don't really care about the price as long as it's below Php3000.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 12:18:27 PM

i'm not sure why would you need PHYSX in so low end graphics cards but i think from those you didn't selected 440 1GB is the best:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

otherwise i would go with the 512 version since it will be already ok for that resolution.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:29:48 PM

Oh yeah i forgot to add; I might play HL3 when it comes out, and i want it to look good :D 
I want the best among the five when it comes to gaming, lets put it that way.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 12:37:12 PM

pishboy said:
Oh yeah i forgot to add; I might play HL3 when it comes out, and i want it to look good :D 
I want the best among the five when it comes to gaming, lets put it that way.

440 is the best for gaming on those options... but it is not really a gaming card. if the Half life 3 keep the same Engine, you will be able to play, but if they change it, you may run into problems...

if you wan't to be ready for future games i would say minimum a 550 ti (nvidia) and if you can go for amd a 6850 minimum but a 440 will run well valve engine games...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 12:59:02 PM

Newegg does not ship outside North America. OP is in the Philippines, and 3000 PHP = $70 USD. Prices will be higher than in US.

Pishboy, are you able to get AMD cards, or just nVidia? An HD 5670 or 5570 would do just as well as a 440 GT.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:13:36 PM

jessterman21 said:
Newegg does not ship outside North America. OP is in the Philippines, and 3000 PHP = $70 USD. Prices will be higher than in US.

Pishboy, are you able to get AMD cards, or just nVidia? An HD 5670 or 5570 would do just as well as a 440 GT.

newegg is used just as reference... i am from brazil and use it as price reference. since here the prices are more than double of that...

he said he wanted Physx, but yes i agree, you could also go with a 5670/5570, but i personally would go for nvidia too...

Ati just gave me headache.
m
l
March 14, 2012 1:26:32 PM

jessterman21 said:

I prefer Nvidia. It's because i can get a better quality card from nvidia here with the same price as an ATI card.
So what would be the best card for me? Second best? My PC isn't always used for gaming only, and i might use it for rendering stuff.
BTW there are links above pointing to the retailer's site, as well as the page of the cards with pictures.
I'm also considering build quality, there's no purpose in saving money when you keep replacing the card because it's broken.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 1:29:53 PM

pishboy said:
I prefer Nvidia. It's because i can get a better quality card from nvidia here with the same price as an ATI card.
So what would be the best card for me? Second best? My PC isn't always used for gaming only, and i might use it for rendering stuff.
BTW there are links above pointing to the retailer's site, as well as the page of the cards with pictures.
I'm also considering build quality, there's no purpose in saving money when you keep replacing the card because it's broken.

for the budged i would say, 440... also there is CUDA that will probably help you in some rendering applications.
m
l
March 14, 2012 1:52:52 PM

jessterman21 said:
This one looks like the best option on that site:

http://www.pcx.com.ph/index.php/components/graphic-card...

You both suggest I get the GT440, should i get what you said, or this? Everything from the Gigabyte version seems faster except the memory. taking the build quality into factor, what should I get? The Inno3D one doesn't look durable :??: 
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:13:18 PM

Physx is only for more higher end rigs you cannot run them with those HTPC non gaming cards you picked.
m
l
March 14, 2012 2:17:13 PM

Another thing you can do is sell your current gpu and try to save a little bit more money. if you buy any of those cards then it will be ultimately a loss. You should wait a bit for the coming kepler series by nvidia. It is supposed that the presently available gpus will be priced a little bit lower then[ it does not matter which country you live]. But however if you think of gaming then i will suggest you not to go anything lower than radeon hd6870 or nvidia gtx560ti . so after two or three years then you will still be able to play all the games at low detail at least. Surely you do not need hd6870 or gtx560ti now at your resolution . But as you are saying you are on a tight budget i assume that you will not able to change that in at least two years. If thats the case then wait for the price of those cards to go down. If you have ability to change gpu after 1 year[you will surely need to do that if you want to play games because of crappy graphics,low resolution,low fps problems in future games on that hardware] . then grab 440 and play now after 1 year change whatever is suitable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:15:24 PM

pishboy said:
You both suggest I get the GT440, should i get what you said, or this? Everything from the Gigabyte version seems faster except the memory. taking the build quality into factor, what should I get? The Inno3D one doesn't look durable :??: 

Well basically the graphics card are the same, only differences are Clock (overclocked values on some models) for that they improve the cooling system, so a good brand would be the ones with good components that are durable and have a good cooling system.
well gigabyte is a reliable brand and it is of good quality for sure, Inno3D i really never heard of those cards started to hear that this week, so i really don't know the quality, i certainly would recommend Gigabyte over Inno3D because i know it is good.

you will be able to run physx on games, but depending on game you will need to decrease graphics, since it consume more graphics power.

but for that price this graphics card, is very good, and the performance will be a great improvement over your 8400gs.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 7:07:30 PM

Gigabyte has the better card, but the 1GB DDR3 will be slower than the 512MB DDR5 in games. It may make a difference in gaming.

But I thought you couldn't go over PHP3000?
m
l
March 15, 2012 8:17:11 AM

What worth is my Php3k if the card will just break, when i can get a more durable one for a few hundred pesos?

Actually i am having second thoughts on buying the card in 2 weeks. The reason why i have a 3k limit is because that's the amount of money I can save before classes end. If prices are going to drop soon, and i can get a GTX550 Ti for 6.5k (3.5k plus, that i can save for a month and a half), might as well put it off until i have enough money for it. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I think i'll go for the GTX550 Ti, but another question: What is considered the "safe limit" of the temperatures of the GTX550 Ti? Palit has a cheaper card that runs faster but it doesn't run that cool
and when I play, I play hours at a time
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 10:34:51 AM

pishboy said:
What worth is my Php3k if the card will just break, when i can get a more durable one for a few hundred pesos?

Actually i am having second thoughts on buying the card in 2 weeks. The reason why i have a 3k limit is because that's the amount of money I can save before classes end. If prices are going to drop soon, and i can get a GTX550 Ti for 6.5k (3.5k plus, that i can save for a month and a half), might as well put it off until i have enough money for it. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I think i'll go for the GTX550 Ti, but another question: What is considered the "safe limit" of the temperatures of the GTX550 Ti? Palit has a cheaper card that runs faster but it doesn't run that cool
and when I play, I play hours at a time

550 ti will be awesome, this will allow you to play every game out there at good graphics settings, and you will be ready for half life 3 if it really comes out...

no need to worry about temperatures unless you are overclocking, using out of the box settings is always safe, just make sure your PSU can handle it.

it will worth it if you are into gaming.
March 15, 2012 10:45:18 AM

ricardois said:
550 ti will be awesome, this will allow you to play every game out there at good graphics settings, and you will be ready for half life 3 if it really comes out...

no need to worry about temperatures unless you are overclocking, using out of the box settings is always safe, just make sure your PSU can handle it.

it will worth it if you are into gaming.

I asked myself that question as well, will my PSU handle it?
the Palit runs at 116W, according to their website. I have a 500W generic PSU with the same above specs, plus 2 fans that i estimate to run at around max 2W, a maximum of 5 USB devices all running at the same time (that's a cheap PC camera, a built-in card reader, plus a max of 3 USB Flash drives), a SATA III HDD and a SATA DVD burner.
Last thing i want to happen is my PC shutting down on me or worse, breaking the mobo or something else.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2012 10:59:12 AM

pishboy said:
I asked myself that question as well, will my PSU handle it?
the Palit runs at 116W, according to their website. I have a 500W generic PSU with the same above specs, plus 2 fans that i estimate to run at around max 2W, a maximum of 5 USB devices all running at the same time (that's a cheap PC camera, a built-in card reader, plus a max of 3 USB Flash drives), a SATA III HDD and a SATA DVD burner.
Last thing i want to happen is my PC shutting down on me or worse, breaking the mobo or something else.

500w is normally enough, but can you give ur your PSU model? because some psus are labeled 500W and can't handle more than 300W with acceptable efficiency...

but maybe your psu is ok at 500w, i don't think that you will need more than 400W for that system on worst cases, but some 500w psus can give even that, that is why would be good looking at it, it will work, but in some time it will stop working and can cause some components to die (specially video cards)
m
l
March 15, 2012 11:29:29 AM

ricardois said:
500w is normally enough, but can you give ur your PSU model? because some psus are labeled 500W and can't handle more than 300W with acceptable efficiency...

but maybe your psu is ok at 500w, i don't think that you will need more than 400W for that system on worst cases, but some 500w psus can give even that, that is why would be good looking at it, it will work, but in some time it will stop working and can cause some components to die (specially video cards)

I think it's a generic PSU, it says that the brand is Rise.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 2:13:53 AM

pishboy said:
I think it's a generic PSU, it says that the brand is Rise.

well if you have the money to buy another would be nice, but no problem using that one for now, it will work for now, maybe with some time start presenting problems, than would be the time to replace it, for now i think you are ok.

when it starts presenting problems you can go for something like this:

if you don't have the cash now it is ok to keep using your psu for some time.
m
l
March 16, 2012 7:39:27 AM

ricardois said:
well if you have the money to buy another would be nice, but no problem using that one for now, it will work for now, maybe with some time start presenting problems, than would be the time to replace it, for now i think you are ok.

when it starts presenting problems you can go for something like this:

if you don't have the cash now it is ok to keep using your psu for some time.

LOL I called the shop where I bought my PC, the PSU can only deliver 300W max
oh well, I can get a 500W true-rated PSU for 2k or so
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 10:24:05 AM

pishboy said:
LOL I called the shop where I bought my PC, the PSU can only deliver 300W max
oh well, I can get a 500W true-rated PSU for 2k or so

yes like i said, it would work with 300w but not for long, so when you got the money buy a true 500w psu it will be safe, and will run for a long time.
m
l
March 26, 2012 9:34:54 AM

Best answer selected by pishboy.
m
l
!