Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Windows Picture And Fax Viewer Behaves Badly

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Fax
  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 26, 2004 4:55:32 PM

Hi,

When I rotate a JPEG image with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it
automatically saves the image without asking, adds 2 seconds to the file
creation date, and turns off the archive bit. Other than that, it works
well.

If I hold down the control key while clicking the close button I get a
message saying "any rotation warning you may have suppressed have been
reset and may appear again." However, the warnings never appear again.

Is there a way to make this program behave better or can anyone
recommend a simple alternative that does about the same thing? In
particular, rotate sees to not lose any JPEG image quality that is
typical of other programs. I use Gimp for all image editing so I just
want a lightweight viewer and rotater.

Roger

More about : windows picture fax viewer behaves badly

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:29:33 AM

"Roger" <crosseyedpenguin@cox.net> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| When I rotate a JPEG image with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it
| automatically saves the image without asking, adds 2 seconds to the file
| creation date, and turns off the archive bit. Other than that, it works
| well.
|
| If I hold down the control key while clicking the close button I get a
| message saying "any rotation warning you may have suppressed have been
| reset and may appear again." However, the warnings never appear again.
|
| Is there a way to make this program behave better or can anyone
| recommend a simple alternative that does about the same thing? In
| particular, rotate sees to not lose any JPEG image quality that is
| typical of other programs. I use Gimp for all image editing so I just
| want a lightweight viewer and rotater.

Roger,

What exactly do you mean by "behave better"?
December 27, 2004 10:29:34 AM

a nonymous wrote:
> "Roger" <crosseyedpenguin@cox.net> wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | When I rotate a JPEG image with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it
> | automatically saves the image without asking, adds 2 seconds to the file
> | creation date, and turns off the archive bit. Other than that, it works
> | well.
> |
> | If I hold down the control key while clicking the close button I get a
> | message saying "any rotation warning you may have suppressed have been
> | reset and may appear again." However, the warnings never appear again.
> |
> | Is there a way to make this program behave better or can anyone
> | recommend a simple alternative that does about the same thing? In
> | particular, rotate sees to not lose any JPEG image quality that is
> | typical of other programs. I use Gimp for all image editing so I just
> | want a lightweight viewer and rotater.
>

> Roger,
>
> What exactly do you mean by "behave better"?

I would like it to turn ON the archive bit, set the modified date to the
current date and time, and ask before it saves the rotated image to disk.

Roger
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 1:51:10 PM

try irfanview www.irfanview.com