New gaming build, opinions please!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Corsair
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2012 10:53:08 PM

Ok, after quite a bit of going back and forth I believe I've nailed down the components for my new system. Tell me what you think please!

CPU - Core i7-3770K
MB - Asus Z77 Pro
RAM - Corsair Vengance 8Gb PC3 1600
VC - GTX670 (Probably one of the EVGA Overclocked ones)
SSD 1 - Samsung 830 64Gb (For OS)
SSD 2 - Samsung 830 128Gb (For Games)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Case - Corsair CC600T SE
Cooling - Corsair H100
PS - Antec HCG 900
Some Random Optical drive for $20

I think that covers just about everything, did I miss anything besides misc cables?

More about : gaming build opinions

May 16, 2012 11:14:46 PM

You don't need a separate SSD for gaming - store your games and everything else on the secondary HD - that's what it's there for.

Drop the H100 and the 3770K - neither one are really needed. Instead get a D14 which will get you the same results: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get a different PSU as well, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then you're good to go. You don't need to worry about misc. cables - everything you need will be included, no need to waste money on extras.
May 16, 2012 11:18:08 PM

Are you just gaming and surfing/streaming? If so, no reason to have the 3770K, can use 3570K (games don't use HT).

If you like Asus no problem there, if you don't have brand loyalty the ASRock Extreme4 is a great, cheaper board.

If you can use newegg, they have the 180GB Intel SSD 330s for $140 after rebate (great deal!).

Can easily go down to a 750W PSU if you plan to SLI some day, or down to 600 or so if not.

Ivy Bridge is not a stellar overclocker even on liquid so you could save some bucks and get a $35 air cooler and still achieve 4.4GHz or so at reasonable temps.
Related resources
May 17, 2012 5:41:37 PM

I guess I should say I'm looking at a long term commitment from this PC, it needs to last me 4+ years of gaming. I don't necessarily have to have everything on ultra, but I would like to be able to turn the majority of features on in games 4 years from now.

I'm a bit of an Asus fanboy as I've always had incredible luck with their MB's. I've been out of the PC building game for awhile and I'm not terribly familliar with ASRock, but I need a board that's going to go for several years.

I picked out that PSU simply because it's on a great deal from Amazon right now. I like a PSU that has room to spare rather than one that I'm close to maxing out everyday.

As for the H100, I have no plans to overclock, I just want to keep the CPU as cool as reasonably possible, again for extended use.

May 17, 2012 5:45:21 PM

Squishygiblets said:
I guess I should say I'm looking at a long term commitment from this PC, it needs to last me 4+ years of gaming. I don't necessarily have to have everything on ultra, but I would like to be able to turn the majority of features on in games 4 years from now.

I'm a bit of an Asus fanboy as I've always had incredible luck with their MB's. I've been out of the PC building game for awhile and I'm not terribly familliar with ASRock, but I need a board that's going to go for several years.

I picked out that PSU simply because it's on a great deal from Amazon right now. I like a PSU that has room to spare rather than one that I'm close to maxing out everyday.

As for the H100, I have no plans to overclock, I just want to keep the CPU as cool as reasonably possible, again for extended use.

If you're not going to go overclock you don't need the 3770K or the H100, an H100 won't prolong the life of your CPU. You could drop both of those and save quite a bit of money.
May 17, 2012 5:45:40 PM

Even for 5 years, the 3770k won't be of use to you. It will probably be around 5+ years before HT is even supported for modern games. I would not worry about temps. The Hyper 212 EVO will still keep your load temps at 50C or so. 900W is 250W over the recommended for CFing that GPU. At most, get 750W.
May 17, 2012 10:27:18 PM

Ok, thinking about dropping the second SSD and running games from the Seagate 3Tb. Also thinking about dropping down to the regular 3770 instead of the 3770K mostly because of availability.

Opinions?
May 17, 2012 10:57:52 PM

Squishygiblets said:
Ok, thinking about dropping the second SSD and running games from the Seagate 3Tb. Also thinking about dropping down to the regular 3770 instead of the 3770K mostly because of availability.

Opinions?

If you don't need to overclock then the 3770 is fine, and you can run off the stock fan too which will save you some money there.
May 18, 2012 5:14:21 AM

I'd submit you trade the two SSDs for one 180GB Intel SSD 330 - on sale right now at Newegg for $140 after rebate. That way you get your OS and a LOT of games on the SSD and can drop the HDD completely unless you need it for audio or video files.

I wouldn't trade the insanely fast load times for anything, any mine is an old SATAII...
May 18, 2012 6:32:59 AM

Just get an i5-3550. Like I said before, HT won't be of use any time soon for gaming.
!