megaagumon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi,

I recently built my first computer. I am currently having a problem however. The computer on boot up will occasionally not even make it to the bios and restart twice. After this it allows the bios and the OS to load. I wondered if anyone here may have an answer to this.

When building the computer I used IC diamond thermal compound for the connection between the fansink and processor.

Due to connections I am using 3/4 of the case fans. The temperature of the case hasn't gone up past 26 C, and the GPU under load goes up to about 60C and the processor up to about 58C. The GPU's idle temp is about 28-32C and the CPU idles at about 32-34C per core.

I have tried reseating the ram and checking that the connections are plugged in. I also updated the bios and drivers.

My computer components consist of:

case: zelman z9 plus
cpu: intel i5 2500k
gpu: gigabyte geforce 460 gtx 1gb oc2
cpu fansink: coolermaster hyper 212 evo
ram: 4X 2gb g skill ripjaw x 1600 mhz
sound card: creative x-fi extreme gamer pci
motherboard: biostar tz77b
power supply: silverstone strider essential series 600 Watt
hard drive: seagate 7200 rpm 320gb
extra usb 3.0: asus front panel
optical drive: asus dvd burner

Thanks, in advance, for suggestions/solutions.

Solution
Sometimes some BIOS's do this when there is a setting in the BIOS that causes the computer not to be able to boot such as overclocking settings. Try resetting the CMOS memory and make sure that you have no overclocking program running in Windows.

megaagumon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi, thank you for the input. I have ran memtest and it says no errors were found, however it reads the ram as 8157mb instead of 8192. I also updated the bios however it did not fix the problem. I will try reseating the graphics card later today. Are there any other possibilities that may fix this error? Just in case the reseat doesn't work.

Sometimes some BIOS's do this when there is a setting in the BIOS that causes the computer not to be able to boot such as overclocking settings. Try resetting the CMOS memory and make sure that you have no overclocking program running in Windows.

Solution

megaagumon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi, I reseated the graphics card and the computer is still restarting before it hits the bios. It works after restarting twice, however. I have the overclocking in the bios turned off and also have some overclocking software but don't have it running. I am having to use an extender for the cord that goes from the psu into the spot for the cpu's power. Can this restart problem damage the computer? Should I write to biostar and see if they have answers? Thank you for all the help and thank you for any future help.

megaagumon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks for all the help. The problem seems to be fixed now. I ended up tweaking some settings in the bios, including some power settings, and now it has stopped the pre-boot restarts.

Thanks again.