Gaming PC, requesting feedback

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19222145

Would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

The list includes two power supply's as I cannot make up my mind. One is 750 non modular, the other is 620 semi modular. I believe both will power this system just fine, though the 750 will be a bit more future proof. It comes down to how well will I be able to fit the 750s extra cables into the Storm Sniper?

Also, after rebate the 212+ is going to be 20 dollars cheaper than a 212 evo, does anyone think the evo is worth it?

And does anyone know what kind of thermal paste comes with the 212+? Someone told me its MX-4 but I find very mixed opinions on this on forums etc.

Thanks in advance

g-unit1111

Titan
The list includes two power supply's as I cannot make up my mind. One is 750 non modular, the other is 620 semi modular. I believe both will power this system just fine, though the 750 will be a bit more future proof. It comes down to how well will I be able to fit the 750s extra cables into the Storm Sniper?

Go with the Seasonic - excellent brand, even OCZ uses Seasonic as their OEM on a few of their PSUs.

Also, after rebate the 212+ is going to be 20 dollars cheaper than a 212 evo, does anyone think the evo is worth it?

The Evo includes a better fan, MX-4 compound, and more concentrated heat pipes. It's definitely worth the extra money.

And does anyone know what kind of thermal paste comes with the 212+? Someone told me its MX-4 but I find very mixed opinions on this on forums etc.

The Hyper 212 is one of the few that includes a really good MX-4 solution - doesn't get much better than that.

As far as suggestions - switch out your motherboard with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

Lower your RAM to 1600 - do *NOT* go over, and use low profile. Get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

And drop that controller - it's junk. You really only need a standard XBOX controller to play games anymore, that's all I use.

Otherwise everything else looks good.

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
On the motherboard, I can't take your advice there as it has only one PCI E 3 slot, and I plan on upgrading to SLI for Nvidia 3D next Novemeber. What do you think the mobo I picked lacks though?

On the memory, I have seen similar advice given as to speed, could you explain why its better to go with lower speed?

On the controller, I was honestly considering the Xbox controller, its just I am used to to PS2 style, its less than half the cost, and the only game I plan on using it for is Madden. I will think about it some more though.

g-unit1111

Titan
On the memory, I have seen similar advice given as to speed, could you explain why its better to go with lower speed?

All motherboards will run RAM at the lowest speeds they can handle, you will not notice any difference between 1333 - 1600 - 1866, and Intel will void your warranty if they find out you've been using speeds above 1600 due to the RAM controller being on the CPU.

On the controller, I was honestly considering the Xbox controller, its just I am used to to PS2 style, its less than half the cost, and the only game I plan on using it for is Madden. I will think about it some more though.

Windows actually has built in drivers for XBOX controllers, the ones Logitech make don't pale in comparison to an official XBOX controller.

On the motherboard, I can't take your advice there as it has only one PCI E 3 slot, and I plan on upgrading to SLI for Nvidia 3D next Novemeber. What do you think the mobo I picked lacks though?

Biostar is not a good motherboard manufacturer - they don't have the reliability that Asus and Gigabyte have - if you want one that's SLI capable maybe get the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544