But, once I got the card I immediately noticed 3 problems,
1) The PSU on the case doesn't have the 2x 6 pin connectors required to power the card
2) The HD 6870 is way too big for my mobo and seems like it will but into the RAM DIMMs and possibly some other silver heatsink on the mobo
3) This is the lesser of the problems, but the case might just be too small, but it seems like it would fit in without running up against the HD case, but I assume it being so close messes with the air flow...
So, my question(s) is/are
1) Is there any way I can get this card to work with my current setup?
2) If no, what components do I need to swap out? The mobo/case/PSU or all 3?
3) Given my RAM, CPU, and the HD 6870 I want to put in, any recommendations on the mobo/case/PSU I should get?
4) Is there another graphics card that will work with my current build that will be able to handle Mass Effect 2/3 and other modern games well? If so, what would you recommend?
Thanks for viewing the post and any help given, much appreciated.
The hd 6870 takes up two expansion bay slots in the back of the case, so it seems like I won't be able to use the PCI Express 1x slot (which is fine), but given that the card is long as well, I fear it will run into the silver heat sink and DIMM slots that the red arrows point to.
The MoBo should be fine. You'll just have to make sure you put the RAM in before the GPU, which you'd probably do that anyways. The GPU should clear the heatsink fine, too. A single 6870 isn't a power hog, so a 450 watt PSU should be fine. I'm running two with a 600 watt right now. You'll need to pick up a molex to 6pin adapter, though.
The PSU you have now is undoubtedly junk, and may not even be good for 400W. You don't need a monster PSU, but you do need a good one. You can get a 500W Antec Earthwatts to power your rig with a HD6870 in it.
The antec is $70 and the OCZ is $55 for a 2 day promo, so I am going to go with the ocz.
Just going to buy a big PSU in case I want to do something else in the future, and since it seems both are about the same quality, just going to go for the promo deal.
Thanks all for your help on this matter. Going to open up the case and see if I can physically put in the card without any problems. If all goes well, then I am going to order the PSU and call it a day.