Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire 6870 or 570?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2012 2:31:00 PM

Hey everyone, so I am building a new pc and asking an important question, should i get 6870 crossfired at 16/8 from a p6p68 asus motherboard or get a 570? And will a 750 w be enough with a 2500k and should i get a 4 120mm large case or a medium 2 120mm case?

The difference is about 50 $ for the case, The 6870 are the same price as the gtx 570 in my country.

More about : crossfire 6870 570

March 14, 2012 2:36:17 PM

Get the case with good air flow and a good quality 750watt PSU will be fine and 6870 CF will be extremely more powerful than a GTX 570 so the choice is yours you are the captain of you own ship.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 2:39:47 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/306?vs=301 GTX 570 vs HD6870 crossfire

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ PSU calculator that you can even put in overclocking on the cpu if you like.

What is your PSU manufacturer and model exactly? 750w should be plenty if it's a good PSU, and not just generic.

PS: This is the case I plan to buy soon: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57910 Spots for 7 120mm fans(with dust filters), holes predrilled for water cooling, and a spot for mounting an SSD. Also has a huge hole on the motherboard tray, so if you get an aftermarket cooler you won't have to remove the motherboard to install it. Server style hot swapping HDD bay as well. Even comes with an internal temperature sensor that displays on the front.

For around the $50-75 mark you get alot for your money with this case. There is also a cheaper version of this case that dosen't have the blue LEDs and internal temperature sensor for $49.99. Blows all others at that price out of the water IMO.
Related resources
March 14, 2012 2:58:54 PM

silverstone psu
March 14, 2012 3:03:12 PM

is the 16/8 motherboard good? and will microstuttering be a big problem?
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:06:49 PM

mabreatsh said:
silverstone psu

Well your definitly good in the PSU department. lol, no worries there. :D  Did you check out the links I provided? The 6870 crossfire is faster than a GTX570 by a nice bit, atleast until you hit higher than 1920x1080 anyway. Once you go above that resolution I think the memory(1gb) on the 6870s becomes a limiting factor. Do you plan to go higher that 1080p in the future? If so then you may have to look at some different options alltogether.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:10:17 PM

mabreatsh said:
is the 16/8 motherboard good? and will microstuttering be a big problem?

If you run crossfire 6870's the motherboard will run each card at 8x-8x. Not a problem unless you are running cards at the very top of the food chain, like SLI GTX 590's, or xfire 6990's. Maybe even SLI GTX580's, or crossfire HD7970/7950 would be limited a tiny bit, but not enough to notice. You would be fine for xfire 6870's easily.
March 14, 2012 3:12:59 PM

1080p is all i am planning on, I saw your link, great case and a good benchmark comparision. The sound at 60 db might be abit too much But i can handle that.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:14:27 PM

mabreatsh said:
1080p is all i am planning on, I saw your link, great case and a good benchmark comparision. The sound at 60 db might be abit too much But i can handle that.

You don't REALLY need to RUN all 7 fans though.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 3:18:59 PM

I would wait for Kepler.
March 14, 2012 4:45:55 PM

My MoBo crossfires my 6870s at 16x/4x. No bottleneck here. 16/8 or 8/8 should be no issue.
March 14, 2012 5:03:14 PM

SinisterSalad said:
My MoBo crossfires my 6870s at 16x/4x. No bottleneck here. 16/8 or 8/8 should be no issue.

Did you say CF 16/4 is all good because my mobo is 16/4 but I though CF was outta the question for my board cause of the bandwidth
March 14, 2012 5:12:19 PM

Captain Kirk said:
Did you say CF 16/4 is all good because my mobo is 16/4 but I though CF was outta the question for my board cause of the bandwidth

That's what I'm saying. :)  BF3 60+ FPS on 1080p, high settings. 28-30 fps low settings on Eyefinity, LOL.
March 14, 2012 5:15:10 PM

SinisterSalad said:
That's what I'm saying. :)  BF3 60+ FPS on 1080p, high settings. 28-30 fps low settings on Eyefinity, LOL.

No chop at 60fps like microsttutering etc.
March 14, 2012 5:23:24 PM

Captain Kirk said:
No chop at 60fps like microsttutering etc.

None that I've noticed. Then again, I was lucky enough not to have it even with the older drivers.
March 14, 2012 5:29:43 PM

SinisterSalad said:
None that I've noticed. Then again, I was lucky enough not to have it even with the older drivers.

Coolio what cards ??/
March 14, 2012 5:41:15 PM

Does the microstuttering take away from the experience? Do you guys think it is a problem that is not only noticable, but takes away from the overall experience? I see the fps on 60, but with microstuttering, will it look like I play on 25 fps?
a c 535 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 5:47:39 PM

More "hating" from HardOCP:
(Quote)
"There is always an aspect of gameplay performance that is hard to relate to gamers through a graph, or even words. We are talking about physically "feeling" a game as you play it. What people perceive as playable performance is not always attached to framerate. This seems to be a fact of CrossFireX that we've encountered in our gameplay testing. At times, the framerate being displayed on the screen doesn't match what we are "feeling" as we play the game.

For example, if 40 or 50 FPS is indicated, even though that should be playable since its above 30 FPS it won't necessarily feel playable. We have to shoot for higher FPS. We experience some kind of lag or choppiness in gameplay with CrossFireX even though the framerate indicates it should be playable. This means you cannot always rely on framerate alone to determine playable performance.

This is a difference that separates CrossFireX from SLI. With SLI we do not experience this phenomenon as much. With SLI, framerates seem smoother at lower framerates, than these do with CrossFireX. For example, we often find we need to aim for higher framerates in order for CrossFireX to feel like it’s playable. Whereas, with SLI we often find we can settle with lower framerates, because it feels playable at those framerates. Trust us, we do not go by framerates when evaluating how these cards actually game. The framerates a lie.

Some of this can be seen in the graphs, when we talk about consistency. We've shown it in this evaluation, look back at the Deus Ex or Skyrim graphs and you will see SLI producing a more consistent framerate. These are just facts between CrossFireX and SLI, but it makes it so that SLI feels smoother and better to us, than CrossFireX does often. This was the case a lot of the time testing Radeon HD 7950 CrossFireX versus GeForce GTX 580 SLI. We just felt GeForce GTX 580 SLI offered a smoother experience, in pretty much every game, even the ones where Radeon HD 7950 CrossFireX allowed higher in-game settings."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/30/amd_radeon_hd...
March 14, 2012 5:47:52 PM

mabreatsh said:
Does the microstuttering take away from the experience? Do you guys think it is a problem that is not only noticable, but takes away from the overall experience? I see the fps on 60, but with microstuttering, will it look like I play on 25 fps?

Looks like some people are not having microstutering issues perhaps it's rig and user specific.
March 14, 2012 5:51:32 PM

17seconds said:
More "hating" from HardOCP:
(Quote)
"There is always an aspect of gameplay performance that is hard to relate to gamers through a graph, or even words. We are talking about physically "feeling" a game as you play it. What people perceive as playable performance is not always attached to framerate. This seems to be a fact of CrossFireX that we've encountered in our gameplay testing. At times, the framerate being displayed on the screen doesn't match what we are "feeling" as we play the game.

For example, if 40 or 50 FPS is indicated, even though that should be playable since its above 30 FPS it won't necessarily feel playable. We have to shoot for higher FPS. We experience some kind of lag or choppiness in gameplay with CrossFireX even though the framerate indicates it should be playable. This means you cannot always rely on framerate alone to determine playable performance.

This is a difference that separates CrossFireX from SLI. With SLI we do not experience this phenomenon as much. With SLI, framerates seem smoother at lower framerates, than these do with CrossFireX. For example, we often find we need to aim for higher framerates in order for CrossFireX to feel like it’s playable. Whereas, with SLI we often find we can settle with lower framerates, because it feels playable at those framerates. Trust us, we do not go by framerates when evaluating how these cards actually game. The framerates a lie.

Some of this can be seen in the graphs, when we talk about consistency. We've shown it in this evaluation, look back at the Deus Ex or Skyrim graphs and you will see SLI producing a more consistent framerate. These are just facts between CrossFireX and SLI, but it makes it so that SLI feels smoother and better to us, than CrossFireX does often. This was the case a lot of the time testing Radeon HD 7950 CrossFireX versus GeForce GTX 580 SLI. We just felt GeForce GTX 580 SLI offered a smoother experience, in pretty much every game, even the ones where Radeon HD 7950 CrossFireX allowed higher in-game settings."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/30/amd_radeon_hd...

No matter what I have read in the real world on the rigs that I have run CF 60fps on a single card felt the same as 60fps in CF mode thats my actual experience and I trust it over one or a few different publications claiming issues with CF.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 11:49:57 PM

Inteligence said:
No matter what I have read in the real world on the rigs that I have run CF 60fps on a single card felt the same as 60fps in CF mode thats my actual experience and I trust it over one or a few different publications claiming issues with CF.

A few years back I was running xfire 3870's. I never had an issue, other than having to wait a bit for crossfire to work in some rare cases(TWIMTBP Nvidia titles usually). Usually when the next driver was released, everything would be good.. Now they just release a crossfire profile for each new game released, usually pretty close to the launch date.

PS: To cut down on screen tearing/stuttering I would enable triple buffering and turn on v-sync.
!