Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

When I underclock I get random ping spikes?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 4, 2012 4:43:40 AM

I have been following tomshardware for i think over 10 years now! Never signed up because i normally find EVEYTHING I need just by searching. But this has got me stumped so hard and I am totally perplexed!
I will even make a video and post it on youtube if needed.

MOBO: Crosshair V
CPU: FX-8150

If i ping google.com -t i get pings of 28-35ms, I let it sit for 30mins and no change.
If i underclock my CPU using bios, or AMD overdrive. And move the multiplier from 18x to anything lower. Then do a ping to google.com i will get about 10 packets at normal 28-35ms and then a packet at about 400-450ms!
I put back my multiplier to 18x (3.6ghz) and good pings. Flipped back the multiplier to say 17.5x and pinged again, and the every 10 packets or so were 400+ms.

Restarted modem, router, did a direct connection into my computer. And sure as hell no matter what I do. IF i underclock using the multiplier it happens.
It does this on the mobo's ethernet and some 10 year old cheap PCI NIC.

Another note is yes, I did ping other sites like bash.org or stuff to make sure it wasn't just with google.

I am 100% confused as hell as to what would be causing this.



Just as a reason as to why i want to underclock. My job was sent to singapore and i didn't feel like leaving USA. To save money i am keeping the AC off in my house, and having a computer sit at 40c makes the room get a bit warm. So i figured a 28c @ 3ghz running CPU would be better.

As to how i found the issue was kinda odd. I had my computer underclocked for a few days, and didn't play any online computer games. But while play LoL I saw i quickly saw i was getting HUGE lag spikes every few secs, and it was showing as a FPS drop to 0 during the lag spikes, kinda odd. I knew it wasn't my computer but for giggles i put it back to stock speeds and sure enough problem went away. Since then I have spent 4 hours trying to figure out WHY...

edit:
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=-332ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=-332ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 74.125.227.129: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 74.125.227.129:
Packets: Sent = 44, Received = 44, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = -332ms, Average = 44ms
Control-C
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2012 1:59:56 PM

Makes some sense; the thread that handles networking might be getting deferred if you have a lot of other stuff running in the background, and you notice more at a lower processor speed.

Odd the CPU is having any measurable impact though. Observation bias may be coming into play...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2012 2:41:58 PM

Is there any way you can try the computer with a different ISP entirely?

If you could like pick up your whole computer and bring it to a friend's house and jack into their "other provider" you could at least rule out that the problem is a device on your current network or an ISP related problem.

Getting the same problem with other network gear and other ISPs would narrow it down to your computer at least.

I understand that you are treating this as a problem with your computer already, but it sounds entirely possible to me that the problem exists with hardware outside your PC and I like to try the easy stuff first.

It is kinda a stretch to think that a device on the network would be responding to you handicapping yourself, but stranger things have happened. In any case, other equipment might not do the same thing.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 11:53:44 PM

Raiddinn said:
Is there any way you can try the computer with a different ISP entirely?

If you could like pick up your whole computer and bring it to a friend's house and jack into their "other provider" you could at least rule out that the problem is a device on your current network or an ISP related problem.

Getting the same problem with other network gear and other ISPs would narrow it down to your computer at least.

I understand that you are treating this as a problem with your computer already, but it sounds entirely possible to me that the problem exists with hardware outside your PC and I like to try the easy stuff first.

It is kinda a stretch to think that a device on the network would be responding to you handicapping yourself, but stranger things have happened. In any case, other equipment might not do the same thing.


Tested it, thanks for the idea.
So i used my HSPA+ connection from my cell, wired, wifi, and bluetooth to my computer and same thing is happening when i underclock.
Of course base ping times are a bit higher, but there are huge ping spikes. If i remove the underclock everything goes back to normal.

No ping issues on my laptop, cell phone, or 2 other computers, which i underclocked and overclocked both of them.
Only this ONE during the underclock.
So I am 99% sure it is the computer's hardware.


gamerk316 said:
Makes some sense; the thread that handles networking might be getting deferred if you have a lot of other stuff running in the background, and you notice more at a lower processor speed.

Odd the CPU is having any measurable impact though. Observation bias may be coming into play...


No bias, as shown from the ping from cmd to google, you can clearly see random ping spikes.
As for programs running in the background, i really don't think going from 3.6ghz to 3.4ghz on 8 cores is going to make a HUGE difference you can't even tell using the basic task manager that the computer is micro underclocked.

The computer isn't showing signs of slowing down, it is just the game is CLAIMING there is an FPS drop, also during the loading screen it shows weird numbers like players are loading at -45004% and 36510% and -1%
So the game is just going crazy with the underclock.



But the real program is not with the game, but it IS the network on the computer. Pinging any site, using tools from DSL repairs i get packet loss and random ping spikes.



And thanks to both of you for your replies :) 
I am smashing my head trying to figure the reason out. I mean it is no big deal, i can live keeping the computer at stock speeds but its just really strange....
Never have had an underclock computer do anything other than run slower....


edit:
Also found something else out, maybe this will help out.
I have a video capture card, black magic intensity pro. If i have the underclock on and using that, it will randomly lose connection and then regain connection to the capture device which is on PCI16x slot.

I am not adjusting the HT multiplier or the HT clock, or the PCI speed... strange....
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 12:53:12 AM

Take the video capture card out and keep the underclock and try it again.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 1:55:27 AM

Raiddinn said:
Take the video capture card out and keep the underclock and try it again.


Thanks for the idea, but same thing with ping tests to google and bash.org

Another thing i tried as adjusting my MTU value to 1337 and 137 (cause why not?)
No effect, ping times still jumped up randomly. I put back MTU back to 1500

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 4:58:11 AM

If there is any other hardware that can be easily removed without affecting operations, feel free to try removing that stuff too.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 5:08:10 AM

Raiddinn said:
If there is any other hardware that can be easily removed without affecting operations, feel free to try removing that stuff too.


In all i have mobo, video card, capture card.
I already removed capture card and if i remove video card i cant check anything :D 
I was thinking maybe its my PSU, but that is a 1000w one which is more than enough to power everything even overclocked at 4.5ghz...
So i don't see how underclocking would cause that.



After doing some research it appears that when duel cores first came out with AMD that there was a problem with pings randomly going all over the place or reporting back and show strange numbers such as negitive ping time...
But those forum posts go back from 02-04
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 11:54:40 AM

The fact its a BD processor is kinda funny though. You have the BD performance optimization windows patch installed yet? The thread thats handling networking might be offloading to a CMT core, which has a performance cost...
Share
September 5, 2012 9:45:02 PM

Best answer selected by MoonLiteNite.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 9:47:35 PM

gamerk316 said:
The fact its a BD processor is kinda funny though. You have the BD performance optimization windows patch installed yet? The thread thats handling networking might be offloading to a CMT core, which has a performance cost...


wow i am dumb!
So when i setup my SSD last year i got the hotfix, but then i had to reformat it to upgrade firmware, and i never reinstalled the hotfix!
That fixes most things!

I no longer get the ping spikes, but i do get negative ping numbers still, which i don't mind that.
LoL still is all wacked, with negative ping times, HUGE % like 614132% loading completed, and game still lags and warps me around.
Packet loss according to DSLreports tool is back to 0%
And capture card works fine.


So looks like it is just an issue with the CPU and the way the game is handling it.
Maybe windows 8 will fix things 100%

Thanks for everyone for their help. But no point in beating a dead horse...



m
0
l
!